Practice Barricade Design

Andielouroo

Private Pyle
Supporter
Minuteman
May 10, 2017
Nevada
I’m going to weld up a barricade to practice on at the range. Unless otherwise noted I’m planning to build the entire thing out of 1x2 steel rectangle tube. I stole a lot of the design from the 6.5 guys design, so credit to them. Any suggestions or input is appreciated.

I believe there is a standard for PRS barricades. I’ve seen the drawing with the measurements before and you could probably google it to find what it says.

That being said, why you have designed there looks great. Plenty of different heights and shapes to shoot from and negotiate your rifle in and through.

One thing I feel like I’m seeing more of are stages where the scope is partially obscured or the hole is almost too small to get the rifle through, leading to tilting the rifle or having it almost completely sideways. Or not being able to utilize a bipod or bag. Simply the stock on the prop. That’s a time where a small thin bag or pad is nice.

Reactions: Andielouroo
I built one very similar to the one pictured. Mine was made of wood. Regardless, it’s a great training aid & it it’ll humble a man quickly. I’d add a few pipes to one side to simulate a ranch gate. Otherwise, it looks good.

This past Friday I had a really good day shooting off the barricade out to 475. I went back Sunday & I did well until I didn’t. Everything went to shit all at once& I almost couldn’t buy a hit. I was really frustrated. I proned out, took my time & still couldn’t get hits on what should’ve been “gimmes” from those ranges.

My buddy shot a few rounds from my gun (all misses) & he downloaded / made safe & started trouble-shooting only to realize my rings had come loose. I felt much better afterwards knowing it was an equipment failure vs poor shooting.

Last edited:
Not a cheap option, but for the welding challenged, you could mock up a good portion of this with 80/20 or similar aluminum extrusions. Maybe even build in some quick release/hitch pin joints for easy breakdown.

I built one very similar to the one pictured. Mine was made of wood. Regardless, it’s a great training aid & it it’ll humble a man quickly. I’d add a few pipes to one side to simulate a ranch gate. Otherwise, it looks good.

This past Friday I had a really good day shooting off the barricade out to 475. I went back Sunday & I did well until I didn’t. Everything went to shit all at once& I almost couldn’t buy a hit. I was really frustrated. I proned out, took my time & still couldn’t get hits on what should’ve been “gimmes” from those ranges.

My buddy shot a few rounds from my gun (all misses) & he downloaded / made safe & started trouble-shooting only to realize my rings had come loose. I felt much better afterwards knowing it was an equipment failure vs poor shooting.
Had a similar situation, but it was my rear action screw. It sucks throwing lead down range at dirt. Periodically I check the scope mount and action for that past experience.