• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Pre 64 Model 70 winchester opinion please.

drumangel

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2024
texas
I was lucky enough to find a pre 64 winchester model 70 in great condition at an estate sale for

$500, and being the salesman i am, i was able to talke them down to $275. i dont know lots about this rifle other than it is a classic. does anyone know what its worth could be by looking at a picture? its chambered in 30-06 and the stock has a few scratches on it. the barrel looks to be in great condition and after putting 20 rounds through it, i would say its is extremely accurate.
Image.jpeg

If you feel good about the purchase price, that is what it is worth.

I hope that the lettering under the rear scope mount is grease pencil or that will REALLY drop the value. FWIW I think that you stole it! Of course I have a soft spot for Model 70’s but can not justify paying what some dealers are asking.

The big thing is are YOU content/happy with YOUR purchase?

If you feel good about the purchase price, that is what it is worth.

I hope that the lettering under the rear scope mount is grease pencil or that will REALLY drop the value. FWIW I think that you stole it! Of course I have a soft spot for Model 70’s but can not justify paying what some dealers are asking.

The big thing is are YOU content/happy with YOUR purchase?
unfortunately, the person who had it before me took some type of engraving tool to it. but its not very deep and i think a skilled person could possibly restore it. im wondering if there is someone who specializes in restoring these things out there.

Many would have a stroke at the notion, but to me, that’s the perfect rifle to reblue (after smoothing off the “engraving”) and re-finish the stock into a very nice rifle.