Precision .22 Target

axis007

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2024
texas
I have been practicing .22 Precision Style shooting in my backyard, the distance is 50 yards, bought some precision / competitions style paper target online, trying to search more information on it, goggle as much as I can, not finding too much info ....

some is "American Rifle Association" the target is 1 inch diameter, center target is 1/2" = 100 points, the other is USBR, the target is a 2 inch diameter, 1/2" is 8 points 1/4" is 9 points and Bulleye is 10 points, are anyone familiar with any of these organization's target? Is one more of a standard, or later in completion, which origination is more prevalent.

what is the realistic group for a .22 LR at 50 yards, I know the rifle and barrel matters and the ammo matters, I am shooting ELEY Tenex and Lapua X with 40 grain and about 1050fps. What should be my expectations? 5 shots , 1 inch group? 1/2 inch group? 1/4" group ??? if that is all possible? I am a Newbie, sorry if the questions are not appropriate.

for 5 shot groups 1/4 or below is in the superb category, and people have accomplished less than that. A 1/2 50 yard rifle thats consistent is 'pretty ok' 1/4 or less is definitely a 'keeper' and less that that often in custom benchrest/legendary categories. Ammo is exceedingly important as that one flier tends to bite and one case lot over another can be a totally different experience.

With that ammo and a good rifle assuming they get along well id want to see 1/2 or less assuming at least a rear rest is in use. At a 1/2 or more id likely see if i can do the same (or better) with cheaper ammo.

For the BR targets shoot one per bull and score yourself across the card. Grid shooting is also done for practice with one shot per intersection.

what is the realistic group for a .22 LR at 50 yards, I know the rifle and barrel matters and the ammo matters, I am shooting ELEY Tenex and Lapua X with 40 grain and about 1050fps. What should be my expectations? 5 shots , 1 inch group? 1/2 inch group? 1/4" group ??? if that is all possible? I am a Newbie, sorry if the questions are not appropriate.

At the upper end of performance with a custom 22LR build you can get very good results. My RimX build with a Bartlein/Modacam barrel shoots very close to one hole groups (sub 1/4") at 50 yards and 1/2" groups at 100 yards, Lapua Super LR ammo.