• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Precision rifle - direct thread vs. 3-lug

jlow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2010
FWIW, I currently use a 3-lug for my PCC and I do like the convenience. Since it is a PCC which is mostly for close shot, not real concern about slight difference in precision.

Om the other hand, for a precision rifle, I am concerned about lost in precision. I don't mind a consistent change in POI but first shot only chance in POI as mentioned in one of the thread below would be a show stopper.

So it seems for a precision rifle, to ensure secure attachment, direct thread seems to be the only way to go?

Direct attach or a TOMB type attachment is what you need; 3 lug won’t give the accuracy you need. Look at Suppressed Armament and Thunderbeast cans, and the Area 419 mounts. They and a number of others use a fine thread to pull the can onto a taper.

Reactions: jlow and Sierra770
I second the direct thread and TOMB (Thread Over Muzzle Brake) as the main options for accuracy dependent usage. I've never seen 3-lug offered as an attachment option for full power rifle usage by a mainstream manufacturer.