• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Preference for basic die sets - RCBS, Forster, Hornady or other?

AFancyPenguin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2019
MN
I need a few die sets for some Dillon 750 tool heads I want to set up to help for easier caliber swaps. I don't need anything fancy, just FL sizing die and a seater. Is there a real difference between RCBS, Forster, Hornady, Lee, etc in the post-Covid quality world?

I prefer RCBS. I have some redding. I just noticed my 6.5 CM redding sizing die, the cases would fit a case gauge. Called redding and they said tuff crap, if it fits the gun it's fine. I will never buy there stuff again.

I like my ammo to fit any gun I own now and future not just the the brass was shot in.

Depends on your task and purpose. For precision stuff, I will take out my wallet and buy the best. For plinking rounds / everyday stuff, I have Lee dies and they have never let me down. I also like that they come with a shellholder and powder scoop. Not sure if things have changed, but after owning a few sets of Hornady and RCBS, although good, you were always getting close to Redding territory at that price (and Redding is my jam). No experience w Forster but I have heard good things... cheers!

I’m not a Dillon guy.
I have a Hornady LnL AP Progressive press.
For the progressive press I use Hornady dies because they have more threading and just work well in my press.

For my single stage Forster Co-Ax I have an assortment of dies.
Redding Custom Competition dies for my precision rifles. I always buy a set of Lee because they always give good results despite the low cost, and some RCBS when that’s all I can find and I need a set right now.

That being said if I were setting up a Dillon 750 I would buy Dillon dies.
The mouths are a little wider to accommodate a fast moving press.

Reactions: AFancyPenguin
I need a few die sets for some Dillon 750 tool heads I want to set up to help for easier caliber swaps. I don't need anything fancy, just FL sizing die and a seater. Is there a real difference between RCBS, Forster, Hornady, Lee, etc in the post-Covid quality world?

I have a 750 and load pistol and rifle on it. For pistol, I picked up a Hornady set at Cabelas because it's local to me and the price was not much more than the RCBS or Lee set - and Dillon had a really long wait list at the time. For the precision rifle stuff, I prefer a bullet seating die with a micrometer whether on Co-Ax or 750 so I tend to favor the Redding or Forster stuff for that use. There's a great thread on here about precision loading on a 750 that you might want to follow.

I have a 750 and load pistol and rifle on it. For pistol, I picked up a Hornady set at Cabelas because it's local to me and the price was not much more than the RCBS or Lee set - and Dillon had a really long wait list at the time. For the precision rifle stuff, I prefer a bullet seating die with a micrometer whether on Co-Ax or 750 so I tend to favor the Redding or Forster stuff for that use. There's a great thread on here about precision loading on a 750 that you might want to follow.
Thanks for the link. I haven't see that thread yet. I'll read it

Have used RCBS in my earlier years, migrated to Redding bushing dies, but more more recent experience is using a Forster full length sizing die and Redding carbide mandrel for 6.5GR/CM, 223 and 22/250. Annealed every firing regardless, and runouts have been .001-.0015 max with revised process, and very consistent shoulder setback.

I wouldn't call that a great thread.

That isn't a new idea at all, I have been doing all my precision loads on my 650 for the last 5 years. But it's a waste to use two separate tool heads when one is fine for each caliber. Just do it in two steps. Saves a lot of prep time.

That isn't a new idea at all, I have been doing all my precision loads on my 650 for the last 5 years. But it's a waste to use two separate tool heads when one is fine for each caliber. Just do it in two steps. Saves a lot of prep time.
Nobody is saying it’s new. Go over to that thread and tell us how it’s done. I’m serious.

Nobody is saying it’s new. Go over to that thread and tell us how it’s done. I’m serious.
agreed, please share, I have a 650 myself and I have experimented with trying to load more accurate 223 on it and so far havent found the right tricks to get there

agreed, please share, I have a 650 myself and I have experimented with trying to load more accurate 223 on it and so far havent found the right tricks to get there
actually so simple a caveman can do it. If you are trying to do it all in one shot and charge with the dillon powder charge that is going to hinder things.

Set your dies up, station 1 decap, 2 size and prime, station 3 mandrel then just keep cranking away and let them spill into the tray.

trim, chamfer etc and tumble/clean (to remove sizing lube), Charge in 50 rd blocks then back to the press. Seat bullets and let them fall into the tray again.

It's just saving time by not having to set up dies each time on the rock chucker, and you are doing three ops with each pull on the prep side.

You can add in any crap you feel you need like annealing etc before you load them in the case feeder. It's not rocket science.

I'll complicate this for you...

I dislike Hornady sizing dies. But I like their seating dies.

Inversely, I like RCBS sizing dies. But their seating dies give me fits... The little seating stem always seems to damage bullets if I'm not careful about precisely aligning bullets in the case mouth when seating. Their higher end die sets like the Match Master series are probably much better. Haven't forked over the cash, yet.

I have 3 sets of Lee dies. 2 in .308, one for a pistol. Absolutely no complaints except for their gay lock rings... which I always replace with Hornady lock rings.

If Lee would market a seating die that had a marked adjustment spindle for adjusting seating depth... But for the price point (which includes the shell holder) overall I'm satisfied.

Did that muddy the waters enough for you?

Mike

For precision rifle I'm using SAC Modular sizing dies and Forster for seating currently.

If you’re going to load pistol take a look at Redding carbide PRO dies. The “Pro” means designed for progressive presses though they work fine on any press. The Dillon carbide dies are great for pistol too.

Reactions: simonp
I'll complicate this for you...

I dislike Hornady sizing dies. But I like their seating dies.

Inversely, I like RCBS sizing dies. But their seating dies give me fits... The little seating stem always seems to damage bullets if I'm not careful about precisely aligning bullets in the case mouth when seating. Their higher end die sets like the Match Master series are probably much better. Haven't forked over the cash, yet.

I have 3 sets of Lee dies. 2 in .308, one for a pistol. Absolutely no complaints except for their gay lock rings... which I always replace with Hornady lock rings.

If Lee would market a seating die that had a marked adjustment spindle for adjusting seating depth... But for the price point (which includes the shell holder) overall I'm satisfied.

Did that muddy the waters enough for you?

Mike
I agree I hate the lee rings. I use hornady on a bunch.

I LOVE the RCBS Matchmaster dies, much better than redding but since I only use them on my 650 the window gets really small so I can't use it on some bullets like 140 gr 6.5 bullets. But the matchmasters are def worth the money. Plus it's a micrometer seating die.

I use Redding Comp dies and I'm happy with them...maybe one day I'll win the Powerball and buy some SAC dies! haha

But I use Hornady die rings...with the split and the screw tangential to the die....those die rings that just use a set screw against the die threads to lock up are...in my very limited opinion...junk.