• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Price

Re: Price

Just do the math, depends on your brand of brass and bullets. Figure $300-$500 for all the gear to get started right though it can be done for cheaper.

7000 grains of powder in a pound, roughly 45 grains in a 308 load.

Brass is a cost you'll eat the first time, but reload after that.

Don't do it!! You will be able to load match ammo for plinker prices. You will load plinker ammo for just a bit cheaper. But you will become addicted. You will buy stuff and then more stuff. You will make good ammo and then you will spend more to make better ammo and so on and so on. Then you will try to find reasons to load more ammo. There is no 12 step program to fix this addiction. Good luck. Cheers.

tanda,

Here's a reprint of a couple of a post I made a few months or so back:

First:

Let's look at some real world figures for a 308 winny:

My baseline is 1000 rounds Factory fresh vs Reloads. I'm using 1000 rounds because my reloads average 10 reloadings, and I'm trying to normalize the initial cost of the brass:

First Factory: I use HSM Ammo when I do buy factory. Their load consists of a Sierra 155 Gr Palma Match. It costs me $22.35 per box of 20. So for 1000 rounds I would need to buy 50 boxes.

50 x $22.35 = $1117.50

Now my Reloads for 1000 rounds:

Lapua Brass $60.99 per 100
Sierra 155 Grain Palma Match #2156 $319.90 per 1000
Primers $ 32.00 per 1000 For Federal 210M primers
Powder $145.00 per 1000 shots @ 47 grains per shot of Varget.

Total cost of 1000 reloads = $557.89

But if I buy factory HSM I could sell my once fired brass for maybe $.20 each, so that's $200.00 per 1000 I could recoup back.

So the new totals are:

Factory HSM per 1000 = $1117.50 less $200.00 = $917.50
Reloads per 1000 = $557.89

Net "savings" per 1000 308 Win Rounds = $359.61

One could buy cheaper components or more expensive factory ammo like FGMM, and beat those figures all to hell. So YMMV.

Wow, thanks for the break down. That's good savings. I've been buying Winchester for bulk ammo and I've been buying and shooting Federal Gold Match. How many times can you use brass, because I have about 500 pieces of brass already?

It depends on whether you try to get the max velocity and pressure out of a load, or whether you are conservative. Some folks claim that their experience with FGGM cases leaves something to be desired in case life. I find that if I stick to Federal factory velocities, I get good case life. Also depends upon your reloading techniques, rifle (semi auto v/s bolt), neck v/s full length resizing...lots of things. Anwhere from 6 to 20 reloads would be an answer with the mean just about where BobNC basis his calculations at 10 reloads each.

If you buy new brass every time you can load 3 or 4 for the cost of 2 factory match rounds.

This is just a grasp from the top of my head. It is in no way as close as the figures above.

If you are thinking about it seriously, the first thing you need to buy is a copy of the latest Lyman's Centerfire Handloading Manual. They aren't trying to sell you powder or bullets. Leave all the caliber specific data chapters along. Read all the safety related chapters and equipment setup procedures twice. It doesn't hurt to read them several times.

Good luck.

Lapua brass $60.99 per 100. That would be $609.90 for a 1000 cases. Oh and midway usa sells Lapua brass for $70.99 per 100. But you can buy winchester brass for $40 per 100..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tanda,

Here's a reprint of a couple of a post I made a few months or so back:

First:

Let's look at some real world figures for a 308 winny:

My baseline is 1000 rounds Factory fresh vs Reloads. I'm using 1000 rounds because my reloads average 10 reloadings, and I'm trying to normalize the initial cost of the brass:

First Factory: I use HSM Ammo when I do buy factory. Their load consists of a Sierra 155 Gr Palma Match. It costs me $22.35 per box of 20. So for 1000 rounds I would need to buy 50 boxes.

50 x $22.35 = $1117.50

Now my Reloads for 1000 rounds:

Lapua Brass $60.99 per 100
Sierra 155 Grain Palma Match #2156 $319.90 per 1000
Primers $ 32.00 per 1000 For Federal 210M primers
Powder $145.00 per 1000 shots @ 47 grains per shot of Varget.

Total cost of 1000 reloads = $557.89

But if I buy factory HSM I could sell my once fired brass for maybe $.20 each, so that's $200.00 per 1000 I could recoup back.

So the new totals are:

Factory HSM per 1000 = $1117.50 less $200.00 = $917.50
Reloads per 1000 = $557.89

Net "savings" per 1000 308 Win Rounds = $359.61

One could buy cheaper components or more expensive factory ammo like FGMM, and beat those figures all to hell. So YMMV. </div></div>

I showed this to the wife so she understands why I'm buying all this reloading gear. She said I'm just doing it so I can shoot more for the same price. I think she can read my mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunswanted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I showed this to the wife so she understands why I'm buying all this reloading gear. She said I'm just doing it so I can shoot more for the same price. I think she can read my mind. </div></div>

I know I tried this and got the same response. I think she is getting wise to my habbit now
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmokinAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunswanted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I showed this to the wife so she understands why I'm buying all this reloading gear. She said I'm just doing it so I can shoot more for the same price. I think she can read my mind. </div></div>

I know I tried this and got the same response. I think she is getting wise to my habbit now
smile.gif
</div></div>

Now if we could get a breakdown of what we could save if women reloaded their clothes, shoes, makeup etc.. etc.. instead of always buying new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just do the math, depends on your brand of brass and bullets. Figure $300-$500 for all the gear to get started right though it can be done for cheaper.
</div></div>

Or much, much more expensive.

I have a spreadsheet that I use. I figured you can reload the first round for about a buck:

Primer___0.06
Brass____0.54
Powder___0.12
Bullet___0.28

But assuming you get 15 reloads out of the brass, you are looking more like $.50 a load:

Primer___0.06
Brass____0.04
Powder___0.12
Bullet___0.28

This is with Lapua brass and 175 gr SMK's. You can get deals on some of these components to get the cost down. What this shows is that while people fret about the cost of brass, it is actually the cheapest component by the time you have reloaded it a number of times. Yes, WW brass is cheaper, but to get the cheaper brass you are saving yourself about $.02 a shot after the brass is all used up and the consistency is a lot better for Lapua. For gas guns that chew up brass after several shots, obviously, the math changes to the cheaper brass.

I have heard of people "holding out" to get the primers cheaper. Again, that is one of the cheapest components. The place to look to save costs are the bullets and the powder. Because hazmat fees are so expensive, my buying strategy has been to find the place with the cheapest powder and buy the primers from that establishment to spread the hazmat fees over one shipment (if they allow it). Just a thought.