• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Primer Pocket Go/No-Go Gauges & Case Mount Tension

b2lee

Stealthy
Minuteman
  • Dec 30, 2018
    N. KY
    I ordered some gauges on a recommendation from a friend that is more OCD than I am when it comes to re-loading. Arriving today were some tools from Ballistic Tools.

ballistictools.png

I received a Small and large primer pocket gauge tool. Also a case mouth and neck tension gauge. It was a 3 bundle deal that seemed pretty low in price to me. Quality seems to be precise with some good aggressive knurling. The primer pocket go gauges seem to fit nice and snug into known good pockets. They won't fit into a military crimp pocket...and if the primer pocket is too big...the no-go gauge will go in.

Here is a Large Go gauge in a known good 308:

largegogauge.png

Here is the same brass with a no-go gauge:

largenogogauge.png

If the tool was to go into the primer pocket, you know it is too large and brass needs to be tossed. This particular piece was very far away from being loose.

Below is the case mouth gauge:

casemouthtensiongauge.png

As you can see, there are lines engraved on the the tool and they line up with the chart underneath telling you how large your case mouth opening is. I did check these with a mic and found them to be correct to 4 decimal places. One end is 30cal the other end is .22 cal.

I bought all three tools for $29.99 bundled.....your price may vary upon when you see this. I think for the price it is an excellent tool. Since I shoot 300PRC and we are temporarily stuck with Hornady soft brass...it is a good tool to check upon every reload....after deprime...and well before I spend time and effort prepping the brass through the other stages. It is also great to check how much spring back you are experiencing when you size the necks...and when you may need to anneal.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Cool. I'm a measurement nerd. I use the Whidden base-to-datum gauges because they are so fast, reproducible and easy:

I'd love to have a 3-D optical profilometer that would give accurate dimensions of a case or loaded round.

I ordered some gauges on a recommendation from a friend that is more OCD than I am when it comes to re-loading. Arriving today were some tools from Ballistic Tools.

I received a Small and large primer pocket gauge tool. Also a case mouth and neck tension gauge. It was a 3 bundle deal that seemed pretty low in price to me. Quality seems to be precise with some good aggressive knurling. The primer pocket go gauges seem to fit nice and snug into known good pockets. They won't fit into a military crimp pocket...and if the primer pocket is too big...the no-go gauge will go in.

Here is a Large Go gauge in a known good 308:

Here is the same brass with a no-go gauge:

If the tool was to go into the primer pocket, you know it is too large and brass needs to be tossed. This particular piece was very far away from being loose.

Below is the case mouth gauge:

As you can see, there are lines engraved on the the tool and they line up with the chart underneath telling you how large your case mouth opening is. I did check these with a mic and found them to be correct to 4 decimal places. One end is 30cal the other end is .22 cal.

I bought all three tools for $29.99 bundled.....your price may vary upon when you see this. I think for the price it is an excellent tool. Since I shoot 300PRC and we are temporarily stuck with Hornady soft brass...it is a good tool to check upon every reload....after deprime...and well before I spend time and effort prepping the brass through the other stages. It is also great to check how much spring back you are experiencing when you size the necks...and when you may need to anneal.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Out of curiosity can you measure the large primer pocket gage and post the dimensions of the go and no go pins.

I got one of those for my .223 stuff on a lark a while back.

TBH, the neck gauge thing is kinda worthless to me. The steps are so far apart they don't really help. A set of inexpensive pin gauges in 0.001" increments (or 0.0005" increments if you really want to be dead-nuts) works *way* better.

Used the tool on 67 pieces of Hornady 300PRC brass today. I lost 3 more due to enlarged primer pockets. The afflicted were 9x fired. Load on them were 78.5 grains of N565 and 225gr ELD-M's.