Primer Seating Depth

THEIS

Hi, Sincerely
Banned !
Minuteman
    Hi,

Disclaimer...bare with me because I personally hate reloading but researching equipment for a more commercial precision application.

So my discussion is on primer seating depth, the consistency of said depth, the methods of ensuring precise and consistent seating depths.

There are shitloads of threads across the www on bullet seating depths and consistency, etc etc but has the other side of the coin per say been researched and tested much??

So how are some of you checking to ensure your primers are seated with same pressure each time like we do with projectiles?
    So how are some of you checking to ensure your primers are seated at the same depth each time like we do with projectiles?

Sincerely,
    Theis

Have you seen the Mark 7?

Previously I have taken a caliper and tried to get a bit below flush. But unless you are uniforming pockets, its probably not something super repeatable on a commercial setup

I think the 21 century micro priming tool is what you seek and a primer pocket uniform depth cutter. I have a Sinclair priming tool that has great feel and their primer pocket depth cutting tool. their might be better seating tools out their but I don't know of any, cutting the depth of the pocket the same on all your brass would help as I would think if you don't do that it doesn't matter what you use to seat the primer.

You can still find the Bald Eagle press for around $80. It's not an efficient tool but I find it to be reproducible and very tunable for proper seating depth. It has excellent feel.

If you are looking at doing mid to high production qty’s, then I probably can’t offer much that you don’t already know.

If you are looking at doing low volume handloads, I highly recommend the 21st Century hand priming tool. It is simple, extremely well made and repeatable. The adjustment head varies by 1 or 1 and a half thou per click (you can verify that on their site). I have one each for my .223, 6x47 and .308 and they stay set up for their respective caliber. I use Lapua brass and use a carbide primer pocket uniformer (Sinclair, I think. I don’t t think the mfr is critical). On initial set up, I set by feel for a slight amount of crush, just as the end of the handle contacts the body when squeezing at the end of the primer seating stroke. I’ve never put serious effort into measuring the depth of the primer face below the edge of the case head, but they all are consistently below. I’m more interested in the amount of “crush” being the same, which it very consistently is. I love the 21st Century priming tools, probably my favorite among all the various different tools that I have.

Last edited:
    Reactions: THEIS
    I use the CPS and start with top shelf. quality brass from the same lot. I measure depth on a "spot check" basis and seem to get solid consistency.

I "precision load" for 223 AI and 6.5 CM.

I have had issues with other hand priming tools as well as progressive press priming but not a single issue with the CPS.

If you are looking at doing mid to high production qty’s, then I probably can’t offer much that you don’t already know.

If you are looking at doing low volume handloads, I highly recommend the 21st Century hand priming tool. It is simple, extremely well made and repeatable. The adjustment head varies by 1 or 1 and a half thou per click (you can verify that on their site). I have one each for my .223, 6x47 and .308 and they stay set up for their respective caliber. I use Lapua brass and use a carbide primer pocket uniformer (Sinclair, I think. I don’t t think the mfr is critical). On initial set up, I set by feel for a slight amount of crush, just as the handle hits the body when squeezing at the end of the primer seating cycle. I’ve never put serious effort into measuring the depth of the primer face below the edge of the case head, but they all are consistently below. I’m more interested in the amount of “crush” being the same, which it very consistently is. I love the 21st Century priming tools, probably my favorite among all the various different tools that I have.

I enjoy it as well. And you can sit on the couch or outside and do it, which makes a task seem like much less of a chore.

Hi,

And how are you guys actually measuring the seating depth once primer is put in with the CPS or are you just calling it good?

Manually, Optically, Mechanical, etc?

Sincerely,
    Theis

I took several cases, took the OAL without a primer. Seated the primers random amounts long. Some .007, some .003, some .010, etc.

I then clicked the number of thousandths longer the primer was than OAL case length and seated then. Every single one then measured the exact same OAL I started with. So, this showed me the clicks were repeatable @ .001 per. So, I do that for a case to get my “flush” setting, and then trust the extra clicks past flush to set my desired depth/pressure.

After that, unless you have some pretty precise tools, only thing you can do is seat some flush, and then test every .003 or so below flush and see what it does on paper. Though I wouldn’t expect to be able to see the difference until past 7-800yds or more.

Though I wouldn’t expect to be able to see the difference until past 7-800yds or more.
    You'd be surprised! We have a couple benchrest folks that use our priming tool at 100yds and 600yds... and they claim they can shoot the difference between the CPS and every other priming tool they've used. However, I think I'd agree with you for the most part as it pertains to more relaxed disciplines shooting off bipod and rear bag.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
    K&M has a dial indicator on their seater that allows you to measure the difference between the primer and primer pocket. They recommend seating the primer around 2 thou IIRC deeper thus slightly crushing it. It is slow AF.

I just ordered the K&M priming tool.
    this works, measures primers and primer pocket every single case...but, it will take practice to get fast with it and it you are high volume shooter, probably not going to like it, 2 per minute is fast as i can get, just an f calss shooter, so only 70-140 rounds a month for me