• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

priming help

BlkExp98

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2004
South Carolina
I have loaded a few rounds but im having issues with primer seating. I am using the Lee autoprime and I have tried the the one on my rockchucker and Lee Classic Turret press. My issue is atleast with the .223 (mostly all I have loaded) I have next to zero feel seating the primers and on the press mounted primers both seat them to only flush. I am really just seating them by depth right now and try for between .004" to .006" deep and measure each one with the back of a good caliper. I have to use a good bit of pressure for most of them to get that depth so I lose the feel if that makes sence. Before I seat the primers I have a primer pocket uniforming tool that I use so im not real sure what else to try.

How hard should it be to seat the primers? I want to say when i loaded .45 I could feel it but not so with this .223 brass. This time im using some new winchester brass I had. I read some other posts on priming tools but im not completely sold thats my real issue.

Thanks.

Re: priming help

I have ran into some LC 10(non nato)brass that has very loose primer pockets,and I know this brass had only been fired once because it still had the crimped primers.If you are cutting the primer pockets,be sure to cut them squarely.I use an RCBS hand priming tool for everything I load and it gives me a good "feel"as to when they are bottomed out in the primer pocket.They should be snug,not super tight or loose.You should have a slight effort,and be able to feel when it's fully seated.

I must second Hillbilly. I would highly recommend investing into a hand priming device because it provides a much better feel for whats going on with regards proper seating depth and pressure. All you have to do to check your depth is run your finger across it and make sure it's not protruding.

I have a hand primer but im just not getting the feel with it. Im wondering if this brass has tight primer pockets. Im having to use allot of force to get the primers in and when I use the uniformer there is a fair amount of material removed to flatten the base of the primer pocket. I may order one of the nicer hand priming tools and try that. I found one that im particularly interested in so I may give it a try when I get some extra cash.

How easy would you say it is to seat the primer? Also do any of you have any ideas why both my presses seat the primers at flush instead of below flush? Is that normal and you have to adjust the pin and locktite it in place? What are some good primer pocket uniformers that are either manual or dont have their own power unit?

You may have some tight pockets.Some brass just has more meat in the pocket than others.It should take a little effort to seat your primers,but it shouldn't take both hand if you are using a hand primer.If your press is only seating them flush,they are probably seated fully.You may need to cut the pocket until you don't see any material coming out.I think most cutters are set as to the correct depth for the primer you are using.Flush is ok as long as you're not having problems with failure to fire.If you are concrned with slam fires,you can use a mil-spec primer such as CCI 41.I didn't ask this,but are you trying to prime once-fired military cases which have not had the primer crimps removed/swaged?

The brass was just some new winchester .223 I had so it didnt need to have the crimps removed. I normally use CCI or federal primers but could try winchester if this continues to be an issue. I will try some of my other brands of brass and see what the feeling is with those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: targaflorio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I gave up on priming on my Dillon 550. I use the Lee hand prime but will upgrade soon. New Winchester brass should not be difficult. Why not try a different primer brand? Winchester usually works with Winchester. </div></div>

Why did you give up on using the 550's primer system?

I'd also like to know why you gave up on the 550 for priming.

I have found mine to re-prime very well but only after a careful adjustment to the spring which holds the cartridge in station #1. If the spring isn't set very close or too far, the cartridge just doesnt line up right and I have problems priming.

+1 ditch the press type prime tool, your more likely to have an accident using one of those since they use allot of force

remove the crimps from your primer pockets. You can use a primer pocket swage tool to do that as well as a primer pocket uniformer.

i have to say, the lee tool is good for the money but breaks.

The K&M primer tool comes with a force measurment gage, so you can measure your "feel".

but i got a lee, and a K&M.... i dont see this huge difference between the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1lnbrdg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd also like to know why you gave up on the 550 for priming.

I have found mine to re-prime very well but only after a careful adjustment to the spring which holds the cartridge in station #1. If the spring isn't set very close or too far, the cartridge just doesnt line up right and I have problems priming. </div></div>

What spring? Do you mean the priming system spring that positions the sliding primer bar into position?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 ditch the press type prime tool, your more likely to have an accident using one of those since they use allot of force
<<<SNIPPED>>>
</div></div>

Please clarify this for me. Do you have a Dillon 550? If yes, have you ever had a primer accident? If how did the primer accident happen?

I have had my Dillon 550 for 30+ years now and loaded 10s of 1,000s of rounds of rifle and handgun ammo using the standard priming system on the Dillon 550 and I have never had a primer discharge. I cannot see how it can happen unless the 550 is being used incorrectly or has been modified in some way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Please clarify this for me. Do you have a Dillon 550? If yes, have you ever had a primer accident? If how did the primer accident happen?</div></div>

no

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MALLARD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 ditch the press type prime tool, your more likely to have an accident using one of those since they use allot of force
<<<SNIPPED>>>
</div></div>

Please clarify this for me. Do you have a Dillon 550? If yes, have you ever had a primer accident? If how did the primer accident happen?

I have had my Dillon 550 for 30+ years now and loaded 10s of 1,000s of rounds of rifle and handgun ammo using the standard priming system on the Dillon 550 and I have never had a primer discharge. I cannot see how it can happen unless the 550 is being used incorrectly or has been modified in some way.
</div></div>

Likewise although mine is a 650. I find that a lot of people that point out all the "problems" fall into a couple of groups. One is the group that likes to slam and bang every tool they own. When it breaks then they condemn it as NO GOOD.

The second group doesn't own one of those tools in question and just listens to those in the first group, relating things they have no direct knowledge of.

Isn't the internet wonderful.

Oh, by the way, if it weren't for group #1, there'd probably be no market for replacement parts on some of the presses out there.

Deadshot2,

I don't think Mallard is in one of these groups. I just want to hear about any potential safety issues I should be looking out for on my Dillon 550. IMO you can't be too careful with this stuff. I have a lot of friends who are my age that are missing fingers and toes due to accidents and I want to keep all of my parts intact.

Hey don't pick on me! I've had to buy a few parts for my Dillon over the last 30 years. But mostly because I misplaced them in the garage. And I know they were misplaced because right after I received the new bits from Dillon I found them right where I left them. Doh!