Prince called, he wants his rifle back…

So I finally took the wife to the range, and showed her the 10ish guns I have built this year. She took it better than I would have thought. In fact, as we’re driving home from the range, she said, “Can we build me a rifle?”

Completely shocked, of course I said yes. I already had most of the parts in the cabinet. I told her she would have to pick out and order her own optic though, and that we would have to go to the store where I pick up most of the parts I forget to order so she could pick out what stock, grip, etc. she likes.

The kicker is, she wanted it purple. Immediately I thought of Aero’s anodized “purple” (which let’s be honest it’s fuchsia bordering on hot pink), and was already cringing. But she hated that as much as I did, so I went to O’Reilly’s, and bought a can of Chrysler Plum Crazy Purple engine paint. For my first rattle can job, it turned out better than I could have imagined.

But it’s a .223 Wylde (solely because I didn’t have one - I wish I had done 6 ARC or 6.5 Grendel now), 16” Faxon barrel, Aero stripped upper, Anderson stripped lower, Aero handguard, Geissele parts kits, Aero adjustable gas block and tube, Radian BCG and charging handle, Triggger Tech 3lb single stage trigger, full ambi controls (she’s right handed but shoots left eye dominant, I figured better safe than sorry), Geissele double spring and tube, H2 weight, Magpul’s MOE grip and Magpul’s version of the SOPMOD (I forget what it’s called). She had shot all my rifles, so she experienced my Strike Eagles, ACOG, Eotech 512 with G45 magnifier, etc., and chose the Arken Optic LPVO, the same optic I put on my 8.6BLk build. It shoots great. Even more so considering I had her do most of the build and only jumped in on stuff she had trouble with.

Picture below - please be gentle… In full disclosure, I wish I had painted the buffer tube and the dust cover as well, then get rid of the Lancer magwell, but she likes it as is.

Attachments

• IMG_8478.jpeg
    IMG_8478.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 268
I like it, but it’s not purple enough. At least the buffer tube and the bottom portion of the butt stock. 😁

Nice components. Should be a fun rifle for her.
See I was thinking the buffer tube as well. But as I said, she likes it as is. What I thought would really be cool would be to paint the buffer tube and then get one of those F1 stocks that have the cut outs in them.

Reactions: lash
Degrease, abrase, and paint the whole thing.

Don’t be scared. I’m sure Arken won’t mind when you send that in for warranty. 😂

I like that purple. It’s more subtle and distinguished, vs something flashy.

BTW, deer can see purple like an iridescent strobe light if you ever take it hunting.

Last edited:
My wife took a pistol safety course at out LGS /range and I loaned her my 2.5 python that i bought for my CC . She said i like that and now i have a SW 340 PD for my CC. to add injury to it after the range she says gun cleaning is mans work
HA! That’s funny. When I took my wife out, I brought with me my new Canik TTI. I made the mistake of letting her shoot it too. After she was done, her exact words were, “Yeah, that’s mine now”.

Reactions: sloporsche
I like it says hers but not too much, we built my wife a 224 Valkyrie a few years ago, using a Spikes snow flake lower (color filled) and she only wanted the controls and buffer tube colored, an anodized light blue. It turned out great, she has four other AR's.

Reactions: Michael Trainowski
Dude, that thing came out good. Don't be afraid to paint the plastic parts of the buttstock. I rattle can a lot of stuff and it's always a great outcome. Just wipe and decrease with rubbing alcohol or acetone.
Screenshot_20231222_114726_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231122_203601_Gallery.jpg
20240529_152213.jpg

That fde chassis rifle I posted has been through a few very rough hunting seasons. From riding in an atv without a case just bouncing around, to being dropped about 14 feet from a deer stand, to being strapped to me walking through heavy brush brushing up against it.

The has held well.

Reactions: lash and simonp
I like it says hers but not too much, we built my wife a 224 Valkyrie a few years ago, using a Spikes snow flake lower (color filled) and she only wanted the controls and buffer tube colored, an anodized light blue. It turned out great, she has four other AR's.
She narrowed her choices to teal and purple. I’m glad she chose purple because I’ve seen those teal ones that are made by Great Lakes, and they are really ugly (IMO of course). Was really happy when she liked the Chrysler purple. As previously stated, it’s God’s choice of purple, followed closely by the purple on TCU’s helmets.

Nothing wrong with that. Unless she's primarily killing medium/large game or targets beyond 400 yards there is no reason to have anything beyond a 223/5.56.
Oh no, she’s not a hunter. Hell I can’t even get her to go camping properly (i.e. in a tent away from electricity and WiFi and crap like that). She wanted to build it for the range, which I have no issues with. But I have been showing her the proper a way to hold, carry, index, etc. so God forbid something happen when I’m not home, she can hold her own.

You go with a factory purple like Aero’s, or did you rattle can it?
So I found a hogue kit that has a purple grip and buttstock. There is a temp handguard on it while the permanent one is being cerakote to match. Also waiting on a form 1 to put a short barrel on it for her. But it’s up and running for her to shoot for the time being.

Reactions: lash
So I found a hogue kit that has a purple grip and buttstock. There is a temp handguard on it while the permanent one is being cerakote to match. Also waiting on a form 1 to put a short barrel on it for her. But it’s up and running for her to shoot for the time being.
I know what you’re talking about. I have the same kit for my 16” .300BLK build, but in FDE.

Reactions: sierracharlie338