• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Problem carrying big RRS tripod? Solution offered

jbailey

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2010
Arlington VA
I resisted getting a RRS tripod setup in their big 70+mm diameter ball and base size. Too damn big. But they are also so damn good, turning non-prone shooting into prone shooting. Hence I caved and purchased the setup.

I also refuse to add any piece of shooting kit that I can't carry securely on a moderate sized ruck. Hold over from my days as a U.S. Army Light Fighter, I guess. As soon as the RRS arrived, I started to think how to secure it to my Kifaru X-Ray, one of the greatest rucks made in my opinion. I wanted something that:
(1) was as low profile as possible
(2) is easy to remove from the ruck
(3) allows quick deployment of the tripod
(4) carries the tripod very securely, no bouncing or movement

To get all these, I knew I needed something that was custom length - big enough for the big RRS, but not too big. Some Google searching and I found Sunrise Tactical:

http://www.sunrisetacticalgear.com/

He has got lots of cool stuff, but the tripod scabbard and tripod bag were of interest for my problem.
Email to the guy running it Scott: "can you do a custom length tripod bag at 23" (21" tripod folded + 1" leveling base + 1" extra room)" Reply "Sure". Credit card payment, and package arrives a week or so later. Perfect piece of kit. See attached picture.

Highlights of the Sunrise bag:
(1) super well made, in Washington State, USA
(2) heavy duty, including super good molle attachments, best I have seen
(3) multicam everything - including the zipper!
(4) straps that attached to ruck via buckets - pop these off, and bag and tripod are off ruck in seconds
(5) comes with a carry strap so you can carry it w/o ruck

Highly recommended, worth the sticker price. Hope this helps someone looking to solve the problem of carrying a big RRS.

0201182103.jpg

Last edited:
Scott makes stellar kit! I had a custom add on to one of his shooting mats and he did it no questions asked and for free. I wouldnt hesitate to pick up something from him again.
That bag looks sweet and I can see the desire to keep your $$$$ setup safe. For a quick PRS match, the compression straps work, but for any real world work I can see it being useful.

Nice. Certainly nice for travel and transport.

But I just toss a leg in the compression straps and call it a day.

Yeah, I hear you on the compression straps only and calling it a day. However, I'm anal about not having anything on the exterior of my ruck that isn't secured under some cordura. Or at least as much as possible so once I do get out in the field, and start attaching stuff in a hurry, the setup is as tight as possible. Anal I know, but that's me.

Did you get the gen2 with molle? From how you have the compression straps I guess not.. Thinking the bag could be attached using them leaving the zipper to unzip.

If not, any reason you didn't?

Diver,
Yes, I got the gen2 w/ molle. This bag:
http://sunrisetacticalgear.com/Tactical-Tripod-bag-with-Molle-Gen-2-1910912.htm

I am using the compression straps to attached the bag to the ruck. However, the top strap is doubled back UNDER the bag, not across it, so the zipper can be used about 66% of the way down. The bottom strap is across the bag/zipper, preventing me from zipping it down all the way. It is possible to easily remove the tripod from the bag by unzipping down to just the bottom strap.

Picture is tough to see this. But this way the bag is both secure AND fast to deploy tripod.

If I want the bag off the ruck entirely, simply push 4 buckets and its gone. Very fast to remove and add it back on.

Thanks that was my question- speed.. Currently I only run 1 leg under the compression straps.. It slides out fast without noise..

Now for a hunting app.. would you leave the zipper open?

I get it that if your really getting closer the tripod is in hand already -

I am about to order one based on your "speed comments" but want to wait until I get the measurements from the new Apex and Anvil 30 I think it will pack my RRS TV-33 as thin as my 3342 - but a bit longer than with my leveling head.

No way will the Sunrise bag be as fast as only having one leg under a compression strap. But it will be a lot more secure, no moving around on your pack as you move.

I plan on running the zipper all the way up most of the time, 100% secure. If I'm moving between firing positions in a rush however, I will certainly leave zipper open most of the way, so the tripod is like 80% secure, but easier and faster to get tripod in and out. Not as fast as your 1 compression strap, but pretty close.

I would 100% recommend measuring your tripod setup, including any bases or heads you are running. Then get the bag built to your custom length. I don't want 1 extra inch if I don't need it.

Reactions: Diver160651
So I just take a short nylon strap and weave it through the mollie webbing on the front of my bag. Each end of the webbing has a flush cup mount on it like a sling, and I just plug my tripod on and off. Or i just shove it in the side pockets of a eberlestock bag. Thats how I roll any ways, might help someone.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
Which RRS Tripod and Head did you get? 30 Series Tripod/55 Series Head?

I really like that tripod cover
Chris-
Tripod: 34. I like the fact its 3-4" shorter than the 33 when folded; yes its a tad slower to deploy the full height vs the 33, but I would rather save the 3-4" on the folded height. Also bought a Feisol 34 as a comp to the RRS. Both are rock solid.

Head: I got a leveling base. Why? again, shorter height vs the heads, and I really like the way you control the direction and tension with the column under the unit - this matches how I like to set up my Natural Point of Aim. The model I got is 3-LC-HK (the hook is again useful for hanging weight under the center of the tripod for additional stability).

best of regards,
James

MSTN-
thanks. Your pics much better than my crappy one.

Have had my ruck setup w. the new Sunrise bag out now a few more times, including some heavy rain. The reality is holding up well to the plan, keeping my expensive tripod safe, secure and easy to access. RRS + Sunrise = great combo in the field.

MSTN-
thanks. Your pics much better than my crappy one.

Have had my ruck setup w. the new Sunrise bag out now a few more times, including some heavy rain. The reality is holding up well to the plan, keeping my expensive tripod safe, secure and easy to access. RRS + Sunrise = great combo in the field.
The bag looks nice- like the internal pocket for the rubber feet (if I ever need them).. maybe using the tripod on my hard wood floors LOL.

Will be ordering one once I figure out if I am going to switch heads.

But like Mike mentioned, if I was ready to use the tripod maybe moving stage to stage, I carry it out, usually ready (extended). See the image below - the RRS flush cups make it easy:

Reactions: MSTN
I am also looking for a way to carry my tripod while hunting. Any new opinions on this topic?

My real take-home point from this thread is that I am amazed that there is another dillhole on the internet. I wonder if we are related.