problem with magpul BAD lever

Re: problem with magpul BAD lever

the one thing i heard was the lever hitting the receiver and something about the cut-out space around the stock bolt catch not allowing the new lever to fit right. i was mostly looking for info on 308 applications for my DPMS so i dont recall all the details. sorry its not more specific

It seems to be a hit and miss problem. Here is a LENGTHY thread on ARFCOM dealing with BAD lever problems:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=124&t=188957

Couple questions...1) did it lock back on an empty mag before the BAD was installed? 2) does it fail to lock back when manually pulling the CH with an empty mag installed or does it only do it under battery from live fire?

Without knowing more, my advice to you would be to swap out the stock RRA bolt catch spring with a new one and see if that resolves the problem. A weak or faulty spring in such a critical area combined with the additional mass of the BAD lever could be enough to keep the LRBHO from working properly. You may even want to try a Wolff XP bolt catch spring.

Take it off and throw it downwind, they are nothing but a problem (or potential problem) and are unsafe on a duty or self defense weapon.

A hard hit or bump on the offside of the weapon can dislodge the bolt catch accidentally even when they are working "properly".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take it off and throw it downwind, they are nothing but a problem (or potential problem) and are unsafe on a duty or self defense weapon.

A hard hit or bump on the offside of the weapon can dislodge a mag accidentally even when they are working "properly". </div></div> How exactly can it dislodge a magazine? It has nothing to do with the magazine catch/release.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bolt would lock back w/o it installed and would lock back when you pulled the charging handle w/ it installed. I swapped out every part involved and finally thought maybe try and slow the BCG down and put in a H3 buffer and that fixed it. </div></div>

That makes sense. It is likely that the RRA is a little over-gassed which allows the carrier to cycle much quicker than it has to. Because it cycles too fast, combined with the additional time involved in activating the bolt stop because of the added mass/weight of the BAD lever, it was "beating" the lock-up of the bolt stop and failing to lock back after the last round. With the addition of the heavier buffer, it slowed things down just enough to overcome the delay in activating the bolt stop.

Glad you got it squared away!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take it off and throw it downwind, they are nothing but a problem (or potential problem) and are unsafe on a duty or self defense weapon.

A hard hit or bump on the offside of the weapon can dislodge a mag accidentally even when they are working "properly". </div></div> How exactly can it dislodge a magazine? It has nothing to do with the magazine catch/release. </div></div>

THIS. This is how internet legends are made. I use them practice with them and feel they simplify and speed things up for me. I have no clue how you could do anything to it that includes beating it with a hammer to dislodge the mag.... YMMV.

I had no luck with my BAD level, It would not clear the upper receiver and would cause the bolt catch to lift slightly and the bolt would drag on it. I ended up purchasing a Phase5. It's in the mail now so I should have it installed this weekend.

I installed a BAD lever a couple of months ago and started having issues with the bolt not locking back or worse, locking back on the bolt carrier not the bolt face. I would feed it a fresh mag and release the bolt, squeeze the trigger and just hear "click". I didn't notice what was happening at first and thought it was a Pmag problem until someone at the match saw it happen and noticed the problem. Now I knew what was happening but didn't put 2 and 2 together until a little later, went to post a question about it and saw this thread!
Damn! I actually cleaned my AR thinking it might help before seeing this thread.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take it off and throw it downwind, they are nothing but a problem (or potential problem) and are unsafe on a duty or self defense weapon.

A hard hit or bump on the offside of the weapon can dislodge the bolt catch accidentally even when they are working "properly". </div></div>
This can happen with or without the BAD so again why are they (a potential problem?) Sarcasm for those who didn't get it.