• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

problems with DPMS 308 Firing Pin Retaining Pin

Re: problems with DPMS 308 Firing Pin Retaining Pin

Mine does the same thing. I guess you could go down to the hardware store and get a new pin for it if you wanted to but mine hasn't given me any problems. Just be careful if you field strip it in the middle of nowhere as finding that pin in the middle of a grassy field is a pain in the neck.

dont you use something to spread the ends apart once its in there? i have seen cotter keys used and pins with a split end. i would think it was split so you could take a screwdriver and put it in the gap and tap. that should keep the pin in there right?

Careful on trying to bend the ears on the firing pin retainer in a LR-308. Theyre brittle and its easy to snap one of the ears off. It can be a little loose without issue as when you replace the bcg back into the upper, the pin is captive and has nowhere to go.

I have one that does with a tap but it doesnt free-fall. The other one I have needs a push with a metal punch. Personally, if it functions fine, I wouldnt worry about it. You could ry to spread the ends out and if you break them your out around $10 for a new one.

if its captive like most are saying, im gonna leave mine. if yours slides out, you could test fit a few cotters. will thet fit flush?

Not sure if this part is for both the .223 and .308 rifles, but it's just 75 cents http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=504&cat=1798 It's nothing more than a cotter pin. On any AR style rifle I've owned or used, they've never just fallen out. Well except for one at work where one half of one broke off and was floating around the insides of the rifle.

Badshot I believe that is for an AR15, however I could be wrong.

To the OP, mine does that as well. Is your's a chrome one? Like everyone else has said it's captive so it won't disturb you when you're firing, but double check that pin is still in the BCG whenever you remove it/carry it around the house/cleaning it to make sure you don't lose it. If I am ever transporting mine throughout the house or cleaning/reloading station I usually just place my thumb over the pin and grip the BCG however my hands do to ensure the pin doesn't fall out.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I just ran into this issue. The ears looked pinched and it just slid out when I pulled the bcg. So I tried to spread the ears and BINK... ear popped off. Found them on midway for 4.99 so I bought 4 of them just in case. So....careful trying to spread the ears.

I recall reading that before the M16 went into real mass production, it had the machined pin as well. I'm not sure if the hole diameters are the same but the Armalite 308 uses the cotter pin style pin(at least per their exploded diagram)

do yourself a favor and buy a couple of them. They are cheap and easily replaced. I have a chrome BCG on my GAP SASS and it doesn't fall out when I remove the BCG. They are too easy to lose especially if you have to take apart at the range so have extras is a nice thing to have.