Rifle Scopes Products to keep scopes from fogging

Alabama556

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 15, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    Yesterday I was deer hunting and my scope kept fogging up. It is a zeiss 3-12-56 diavari that is about 10 years old.

The lenses are fogging on the outside.

Is there anything you can safely put on the lenses to help with the fogging?

I take it you're talking about this, right?

s-l640.jpg

Only time I fog my optics is when I have a mask on that covers both my nose and mouth. Pulling the mask down so that your nose is peaking out and scope covers has always been the tickets for me.

Also, try minimizing the temperature changes on the rifle while on the hunt. I had a buddy that ran around with his rifle in his 80 deg truck cab, and he couldn't figure out why he kept fogging up when he took it out in the below freezing weather.

Reactions: Stooxie
    Only time I fog my optics is when I have a mask on that covers both my nose and mouth. Pulling the mask down so that your nose is peaking out and scope covers has always been the tickets for me.

Also, try minimizing the temperature changes on the rifle while on the hunt. I had a buddy that ran around with his rifle in his 80 deg truck cab, and he couldn't figure out why he kept fogging up when he took it out in the below freezing weather.

Agreed. When scopes say "fog proof" they mean from the inside.

-Stooxie

You might want to use cation with cat crap or some of the other paste like stuff, some of them have a microabrasive "to polish" the lenses which might scratch the coatings, but probably not but i would just hate to experiment on an expensive piece of glass.

The easy solution is to spit on it, and also one other thing. Leave your gun outside (in a dry and covered location, obviously) the night before you hunt, so that the temperature of the glass never changes while you're out. I usually just leave mine cased and on the back porch. If you drive to your hunting spot leave the rifle in your truck bed at ambient temperatures. Condensation will appear on the lenses of any scope if you take a warm scope into some freezing temperatures.