Proof Carbon Fiber Barrel and Cerakote

ratrod54

Minuteman
Apr 16, 2013
Frisco, TX
Looking to have a barrel spun up for an action. Cannot decide if it is worth the extra money to cerakote the ends of the Proof barrel or leave bare. Its not necessary, right? Even as a hunting rig, I cannot see any reason for it but would appreciate any opinions as to why it would be best.

It all just depends on what you want. Here’s my Switchlug with proof barrels. I had the ends done.
64A557B9-AB42-4903-ACFA-3A71809B8F9C.jpeg
3C3EE555-C47C-4FE0-B3B5-C3AEC734945E.jpeg

That is sweet! I plan to switch this barrel back and forth with a 6.5 CM barrel. Just didn't know it if would damage the cerakote if I do this or not. This is an SAC Alpha 11 build and I want a 7mm-08 CF barreled hunting rig, but have the ability to go back to the 6.5 CM if necessary. I like it the same color of the action though. It does look good... hmmm.

Personal preference, just like camo, or no camo, preference in caliber, single shot, or magazine,... I prefer to cerakote mine.

I agree 100% with you. Chevy vs Ford... I may have poorly worded the post. I didn't mean for it to sound like a shall I or shall I not based off of looks. I was trying to determine if there was a need to do so, or if the raw was perfectly fine. Didn't know if there was an advantage to do so for preservation of the ends etc...

I did Cerakote mine, but I'm set up for it. It could be a hassle or extra cost to have done. The process is the same, and even though it's 2 very small areas, the entire prep-routine for Cerakote applies, so still a 3 hour job. May not be worth it cost-wise, and is not necessary. You could probably Aervoe it or Krylon and it will look good too.
IMG_0865.jpg

Reactions: ratrod54
I agree 100% with you. Chevy vs Ford... I may have poorly worded the post. I didn't mean for it to sound like a shall I or shall I not based off of looks. I was trying to determine if there was a need to do so, or if the raw was perfectly fine. Didn't know if there was an advantage to do so for preservation of the ends etc...
Some would argue that there is a benefit to it, some would argue against it. I have seen enough rifles with RROOF cf barrels without cerakoted ends that I would go with the latter. It seems to be a non issue, if you need proof, no pun intended, the majority of cf barreled rifles pictured here on the Hide seem to be non cerakoted. I there was a benefit to be had by cerakoting the ends I'm sure you would see the majority look like mine with both ends sporting cerakote; I just prefer a uniform look to my action, barrel, and muzzle brake.

It seems to be a non issue, if you need proof, no pun intended, the majority of cf barreled rifles pictured here on the Hide seem to be non cerakoted. I there was a benefit to be had by cerakoting the ends I'm sure you would see the majority look like mine with both ends sporting cerakote

Sir, that's a great point! I have seen both and couldn't find a recommendation to do so, so I figured I may be overlooking something. Thank you!

Reactions: SonicBurlap