• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Proper use of the MAGPUL MS2 Multi-Mission Single

jlow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2010
I have one of these and I generally like it a lot. The only question I have is how does one use the single point sling and avoid sweeping one’s own feet with the barrel after transitioning to a side arm and moving forward.

With a two-point sling, the rifle naturally is barrel down and pointing to your left side i.e. away from you feet. However, with a single point sling, the barrel either points between your feet or at one of them. Not slamming MAGPUL but trying to learn a proper technique.

Re: Proper use of the MAGPUL MS2 Multi-Mission Single

I've been using this sling for over a year now for operations and instructional purposes. When I transition to a sidearm, I use my support side hand to grab the buttstock and move the rifle to my support side as my firing hand is grabbing the pistol.
This all depends on the need for speed and cover as well as if you are moving. If I need my sidearm immediately for a threat, I'm dropping the rifle and letting the sling catch it as I transition. If time permits with the situation, I move the rifle to my support side so I'm not flagging my feet the whole time.
Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for your comments and insight, it all makes sense and is very useful especially from one who has used it for a while.

Took your advice and worked through the exercise and here what I think is the method you are describing – please tell me if I am close. Looks like what you are suggesting starts off with the supporting hand coming off the handguard and the weapons hand on the pistol grip pushing the rifle down and to the left while the supporting hand transitioning to the top of the buttstock. As soon as that happens, the supporting hand completes the push of the rifle to the support side while the weapon’s hand goes for the sidearm. Is this correct?

I like the above setup but do have one additional question regarding what is the best way for the operator to maintain control of the rifle in this state if he/she has to move forward/rearwards rapidly? Seems the rifle at this point is in a somewhat free swing state on the support side since it is only attached to the operator at a single point? Any additional suggestions?

I don't worry much about the muzzle pointing at my feet. If I need to transition to my handgun so quickly that I can't engage the safety I've either encountered a malfunction or the weapon has run dry. In either case, it isn't going to blow my toes off.

In training, I can either engage the safety or switch the sling to a 2 point setup prior to the transition.

The drop gun plan is great on a square range where no movement is required nor contemplated. Fathom the need to move once your secondary is drawn. You do not want it dangling between your legs and needing to run.

The weak hand guides the weapon past the weak side hip, simultaneously - the strong hand is drawing. With practice your weak hand catches up with your strong hand as you are punching out from the high 2. Worst case you are firing one handed, and securing a weapon. Being shot by your weapon has the same negatives as being shot by the bad guy's. Tripping and loosing mobility could have severe consequences as well.

Good luck

You're doing it pretty cose jlow. When I transition, my support hand comes off the hanguard and back to the stock close to the charging handle. Once I have gained a secure grib with my support hand on the stock, I'm moving the rifle to my support side while drawing my pistol and orientating it out towards the target.
As stated in the previous comments, you may have to engage with your sidearm using one hand and using the other hand to secure your rifle. It is very hard to move and shoot with a rifle bouncing on your side hanging on the sling.
To answer your other question, you don't want your rifle down for long as that should be your primary weapon system. Only reason you are using your sidearm is because you've had a malfunction or ran dry in your primary weapon(rifle). You need to get your rifle back into the fight as quickly as possible and fix the malfunction or reload at the first oppurtunity.
I think the best way to support the rifle when it's hanging and you are using your sidearm is to brace it against your side/hip with your support arm/hand. You can also move the sling into the 2 point configuration if time and situation permit this.

It's all preference but I train my guys to just keep the non-dominant hand where it is on the rifle and lower it to their side while the dominant hand draws the handgun. No need to regrip anything to lower the rifle and get it out of your way. We also train to flip the safety on when transitioning. If the safety will not move (on an AR15)then the weapon is mechanically out of action anyway and SHOULD not be a threat in that condition. At least not as much of a threat as whatever it was you were shooting at that required the transition to begin with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The drop gun plan is great on a square range where no movement is required nor contemplated. Fathom the need to move once your secondary is drawn. You do not want it dangling between your legs and needing to run.

The weak hand guides the weapon past the weak side hip, simultaneously - the strong hand is drawing. With practice your weak hand catches up with your strong hand as you are punching out from the high 2. Worst case you are firing one handed, and securing a weapon. Being shot by your weapon has the same negatives as being shot by the bad guy's. Tripping and loosing mobility could have severe consequences as well.

Good luck </div></div>

This is how it is supposed to work.
Alot of people I have seen put the sling on the wrong shoulder, you want it over the right shoulder and under your left armpit if you are right handed

Thanks guys for all the great comments and help!

Mo_Zam_Beek - Tthe comment “Fathom the need to move once your secondary is drawn” is the reason for my question. It does appear that this is a slight disadvantage of the single-point vs. the two-point sling but securing the rifle with my supporting hand while I am moving and shooting strong hand only is not a terrible thing. The supporting hand can always come back for a two handed free-style grip once I stop moving.

Shooter45 - I have to laugh at myself a bit here because you are of course right about the rifle being my primary weapon system… that is one mentality I have to overcome coming from shooting mostly with sidarms – LOL!

Thanks for the tip as it pertains to bracing the rifle against my side/hip – that works well. I notice that by pressing down on the buttstock and to the side, the rifle ends up pretty tight against my side and with the muzzle pointing 45 degrees and backwards which is a good location and it gets it off my body and the ground.

Kujo929 – yes, agreed about the safety.

Captain Moroni – yes, agreed about the sligh on right shoulder and under left armpit. Not a problem there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It does appear that this is a slight disadvantage of the single-point vs. the two-point sling but securing the rifle with my supporting hand while I am moving and shooting strong hand only is not a terrible thing. The supporting hand can always come back for a two handed free-style grip once I stop moving.
</div></div>

Couple points to consider:

* Use the safety

* Single points are specialized equipment that aren't for everyone or for every occasion. They are also potentially a safety issue for those not accustomed to the principals of having a hot weapon on them. That said - positive control of the weapon at all times is the theme. However, if it becomes necessary to have both hands free, and have a hot weapon slung on one's body - (RT hand shooter and regardless of sling type) muzzle down, safety engaged, shift the weapon just behind the weakside hip, positively confirm that the weapon is oriented against the body such that the safety selector is outboard - it'll stay there why you are walking around using your hands. *Guard the safety and trigger if you are walking through brush or grabby things*

* When you transition, it should be executed deliberately and as fast as possible - read: a violent but controlled throw with the weak hand to clear the weak side hip. Now, because it is behind the hip - you're free to move - pretty likely even free to run a short distance without having to use your weak hand to maintain a trap against the weak side.

* Go to the range and start with a dry carbine and a hot pistol. On the carbine run the bolt, put the safety on, shoulder the weapon. Starting from a static position and moving slowly at first, use the weak hand to guide the carbine past the weak side hip. As soon as the strong hand is removed from the PG of the carbine - initiate the draw of the HG. Work on two things at this point - carbine behind the hip, weak hand meeting up with the strong hand as you punch out from the high 2. Pick up the pace. Once you have this down from a static position, do it on the move. Movement prior to the transition + movement while shooting the HG, and then confirm at the end of the drill that the safety is still engaged. At that point, load the carbine and run it. Here you are going to prove to yourself that you will be shooting on the move with 2 hands after the transition.

Good luck

Thanks Mo_Zam_Beek! Will try out orientating the rifle behind the support side hip with safety on. Planning to do some dry runs of the different methods to see what works.