• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

pros & cons on savage model 10 please !

Re: pros & cons on savage model 10 please !

PROS:
Cheaper
Will out shoot many others
Easy to modify
Many parts like pre-chambered barrels and stocks
Overall a great gun for the money

Cons:
People will give you shit about it not being a Remington
Action can normally use a little smoothing up

I have several some very custom and some mostly factory. They are some of the most accurate rifles I have. In my opinion the Pros far out weigh the cons.

Cons:

We have two and haven't found any cons other than what you're looking at won't be a 260.

Pros:

Seeing the look on the custom gun guys faces when they see you beat them with a Savage that you put together yourself.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savagehunter44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what are the pros and cons of the savage model 10 in 308 ? </div></div>

My Savage 10 has been more finicky about finding a load it likes than my 700P, out of the box. Also, the accustock is not in the same league as the HS Precision that comes on the remington. As mentioned here, bolt feels a little more sloppy than the remmy.

advantages in my mind are that it is very accurate once I found the load it liked and the accutrigger on mine was actually very good.

A base Savage 10 FP-SR will cost around $650, I paid $900 for my 700P. If you upgrade the stock right away on the Savage (or get the HS Precision model), you will be at $900.

The accustock is not terrible if you are using the gun for a hunting rifle, but for a serious long range / tactical rifle you will want to replace it. Other downside is that it seems to me that remmy has more options at the moment for pre-fit aftermarket stocks, although if you're gonna get something like a McMillan they of course can build you whatever you need.

They make a few models with HS or McMillan stocks,you can find one in a Model 10FCP McMillan for a little over $1000; I agree that the accustock sucks, but it does make the rifle a bit more accurate, it just feels like crap.

Currently boyds, Stocky's choate, B&C, HS, McMillan, Manners, and Stockade make replacement stocks for Savage rifles, I think that just about covers Remington aftermarket stocks as well. Remington does have the advantage in chassis systems though, the only chassis systems that I know are the AICS, AIAX, XLR and McRee, don't know of any others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They make a few models with HS or McMillan stocks,you can find one in a Model 10FCP McMillan for a little over $1000; I agree that the accustock sucks, but it does make the rifle a bit more accurate, it just feels like crap.

Currently boyds, Stocky's choate, B&C, HS, McMillan, Manners, and Stockade make replacement stocks for Savage rifles, I think that just about covers Remington aftermarket stocks as well. Remington does have the advantage in chassis systems though, the only chassis systems that I know are the AICS, AIAX, XLR and McRee, don't know of any others. </div></div>

McRee used to make a Savage chassis for both bolt spacings. I don't see it on their website. Did they quit making them?

Ive got two Savage 308s one in a Manners T3 and the other in a Mcree. Love em both!

I'm a fan of the savage for the reason you can be a "kitchen table" gunsmith. Re-barrels literally take minutes with the neccessary tools. Not only that but the darn things just seem to shoot.

Other than the sloppy action the biggest con I think is they really don't hold their value all that well. When you sell a savage if it's "stock" the best you'll do is get whatever the action may be worth, maybe an extra bill for the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They make a few models with HS or McMillan stocks,you can find one in a Model 10FCP McMillan for a little over $1000; I agree that the accustock sucks, but it does make the rifle a bit more accurate, it just feels like crap.

Currently boyds, Stocky's choate, B&C, HS, McMillan, Manners, and Stockade make replacement stocks for Savage rifles, I think that just about covers Remington aftermarket stocks as well. Remington does have the advantage in chassis systems though, the only chassis systems that I know are the AICS, AIAX, XLR and McRee, don't know of any others. </div></div>

McRee used to make a Savage chassis for both bolt spacings. I don't see it on their website. Did they quit making them? </div></div>

Hmm I just checked and looks like you may be right. I also checked www.USTacticalSupply.com They seem to still offer some for the savage actions.

So if Mcree did stop manufacturing for the Savage and someone out there wanted a Mcree I'd check ustacticalsupply.com

McRee is still making chassis for the savage action. Called them last week to check, and they said website update is slow and not on there yet. 2 weeks out on savage chassis.

You can still get an XLR and mcree for savage.

The biggest problem is savage keeps changing shit around so not all aftermarket stuff will fit every savage action, unlike Remington.

If you buy a savage make sure it's the action that will work for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biggest problem is savage keeps changing shit around so not all aftermarket stuff will fit every savage action, unlike Remington.

If you buy a savage make sure it's the action that will work for you. </div></div>

+1

Staggerfeed, then centerfeed, then bottom bolt release, then smooth barrel nut...its seemingly change for change sake and pisses off 1. the aftermarket and 2. potential buyers.

IMO:
Find a cheap, used 110 <span style="text-decoration: underline">long action</span> rifle, should be $300 or less (you can also sometimes find new Stevens 200 at this price). Sell the factory barrel and stock. Buy CDI's LA/308 mag box DBM, and order the Manners or McMillan Savage LA stock of your choice, inletted appropriately for the DBM. Install the extended bolt baffle (comes on 223s) which makes bolt throw only 1/4" longer than a standard short action. Get an EGW 20MOA base, a Criterion barrel in the caliber of your choice, a Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger, put it all together and go shoot the shit out of the thing.

Yes, it will be "uglier" than a Remington and folks will give you a hard time that your rifle isn't a "custom" but rather assembled from parts. But it should shoot better than most people are capable of, for much less of an investment. Plus you'll be able to say you built it YOURSELF.