PRS TRIPOD

Btmann45

FIRE FOR EFFECT
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2018
Kentucky
I'm looking for the best prs tripod I have my heart set on rrs with anvil. I was going to get the 34L which is four leg sections but after some talk with a friend I feel like that may be a mistake. What do you all use or if you could get anything what would u get

Started with the entire ShadowTech setup with PIG0311 tripod, Sunwayfoto ballhead and PIG saddle, and wanted more stability.

Switched to a RRS 34L with Anvil-30, and it's a perfect setup. Buy nice or buy twice.

How tall are you? I am 6' and would not need the 34L if it is just for shooting off the tripod.

There regular 34, or 33 would be fine, when glassing or RO and standing behind for extended periods I needed the 34L. The balance is worth it. For shooting I have the lower 2 sections fully extended. I use the top section to fine adjust height for standing positions and topography issues such as hills, holes, or loose sand in one leg section that I would need more height on one leg.
20200502_132305.jpg

There's no downside with the 34L but maybe an extra .5-.7 lbs you gotta carry.

I am 5' 11" and love the extra height to get binos to my eyes, and if I need to shoot on a steep incline. It's worth it.

Reactions: seansmd
I'm only 5'8 but wanted the extra height with the 34L to use as rear support. Depending on what you're standing on, the taller legs allow you to use the legs as rear support regardless of the height of the obstacle.

Yeah it’s pretty intense with how many varieties there are.

With RRS, the first number is the series, 1-4. Bigger the number bigger the Top leg diameter, the apex size increases as well.

The second number is how many sections. And if there is an L it mean me it’s the long version compared to the one without the L but same number.

The letter designation in the begging is a little confusing.
tripod-apex type(fixed or versa or quick column)- Carbon. So TFC-TVC-TQC.
If there is another letter it’s a special identifier. Only have that for the anvil tripods, a T for Tapered. TFCT.

yes I work there, yes it took me a bit to figure it out.

I finally broke down and upgraded to a TVC33 go with my Anvil. I’m 6” tall and there’s plenty of height to go taller. When it’s at max extension it’s perfect for standing and spotting with binos or a laser range finder.

I like 3 section legs. I don’t need it to collapse any smaller, so I figure one less adjustment collar is beneficial.

I was using a Slik 700DX(pig 0311 equivalent) . I wish I would have done it sooner. Night and day difference.

I finally broke down and upgraded to a TVC33 go with my Anvil. I’m 6” tall and there’s plenty of height to go taller. When it’s at max extension it’s perfect for standing and spotting with binos or a laser range finder.

I like 3 section legs. I don’t need it to collapse any smaller, so I figure one less adjustment collar is beneficial.

I was using a Slik 700DX(pig 0311 equivalent) . I wish I would have done it sooner. Night and day difference.
Slik 700?

Slik 700?

It’s a serviceable tripod for $100. I bought it a few years ago and it served me well, but I wish I just bought the RRS from the start.

SLIK Pro 700 DX Tripod Legs - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B2I9L8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OTDVEbH504KVF

The Pig tripod is the Slik that’s green and a few other upgrades spec’d out by Shadowtech

Started with the entire ShadowTech setup with PIG0311 tripod, Sunwayfoto ballhead and PIG saddle, and wanted more stability.

Switched to a RRS 34L with Anvil-30, and it's a perfect setup. Buy nice or buy twice.

Did exactly this. However I felt like the pig0311 wasn’t a bad option for my first tripod. I’m 6’2 and like the height of the 34L. I actually don’t fully extend it when I’m using binos/rangefinder on top.

I recently got a tvc34l with anvil 30 and wish I would’ve sooner. You definitely are thinking right by trying to get the best you can. The good thing about rrs stuff is if it’s not working out how you want it. Then it’s not hard to resale on here or anywhere else.

I always notice the ratio of RRS Tripods with rifles that have a ZCO Scope is quite high.....MY ZCO will be here tomorrow...so I best get that RRS Tripod ordered!

interestingly enough that’s what’s on my rifle also lol

my boys also like to try and be photogenic with my rifle haha
C77F7179-A0C0-40E7-AB4A-B823BCA3B579.jpeg

44BF4AFB-4D5E-41ED-9C6F-0D3D5BA1D419.jpeg
48FD215F-EFBF-4CF5-91FE-2065E1F1006A.jpeg

Reactions: b2lee
I have a 34L with anvil 30, buy once cry once. It's incredible. The anvil is very solid and locks up extremely tight. I could have probably gotten away with the regular 34, but wanted the extra length in case I was on an incline or something. I'm 6'2" and when standing straight up looking through binoculars I use 3 legs fully extended and the 4th section about halfway extended. It still folds up very compact with the anvil 30 apex. Easily fits on the side of a backpack.

I have the PIGlite ... its ok. price was good for a light weight tripod at the time. Im only 5;9" and have had to make and buy extensions to get the scope at eye level.

wish I went with the Leo with the bowl.

I tried the leofoto LN-404C and it was massive. I'm 6' and I never extended the lowest extension or even had the second to last fully extended. I sent that one back and got a LN-364C. Works great, but I recommend a ballhead over Leofoto's 75mm bowl. It's just not very smooth and doesnt give much adjustment. The only downside to the 364 is it's heavy (relatively), and made in China. The quality is good, but RRS is better and made in the US. I just didn't have the cash to get RRS.

I use the 24L with the Anvil head. It’s rock solid. Most guys are using the 3 series, but honestly I don’t see how one could be more solid than mine. And, they’re 100% made in the US.