PSA 20" M16A4 upper

tomme boy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2007
Iowa 52732
Anyone have one of these? Not the FN CHF but the nitride one. I am putting together a clone. I know PSA is not the top dog so don't go there. I have had descent luck with them. I have an old Colt carry handle to mount to it. It will be a occasional range toy. Thats it. It does not have to be top tier.

I also ordered one of their M16a4 Gov't property marked lowers. Everything should be here to put together next week.

No experience with that particular PSA upper.

But have had good luck with my PSA 16” 4150V chrome Moly Vanadium Steel Nitride coated upper.

Surprisingly accurate and no malfunctions.

Lots of positive PSA reviews out there.

Would not hesitate to buy again.

Also having really good luck with the 20” CHF PSA upper. Better than expected.

I have the upper you reference. It works, shoots 55 grain Winchester white box blasting ammo to about a 4” group with a 3-15 SWFA I had on it. 75 grain Frontier did about an inch better. Great for plinking but far from a precision upper. I put a detachable carry handle on it and throw it on a lower when I feel like shooting irons.

I took it out Friday. I threw it on my SPR lower and threw on a 6-20 scope to just check it out. I shot some reloads that shoot very well in a couple other AR's I have. 1st was 55gr hornady sp with 24gr TAC. Then 69gr RMR hpbt same 24gr load. These shot the best. Then some 55gr Wolf fmj bullets from before the bat flu. They were 65$ delivered for 1K bullets. Same 24gr Tac. These shot better thn the Hornady. Who would have guessed that?

All groups were 10 shots. The RMR came in at 2". The Wolf came in at 2.25" and the Hornady came in right at 2.39" I did not have my chrono with me that day. The upper came in and I cleaned it real quick then grabbed a bunch of different amoo I had laying out.

I also grabbed my Savage Axis with a 26" Criterion 223 barrel. It shot AWESOME like it always does. 7 shots into a 0.33" group with a 60gr VMAX and 25.2gr Varget with Rem BR 7.5 primers in Starline brass. I also shot some 50gr ZMAX into a 0.42" group. I have had these setting in the bottom of my range box for well over 10 years. Don't even know what they were loaded with. I think Alliant Power Pro Varmint. It was really cheap back then and I used a lot of it.

I am going to get a bunch more rounds through this and revisit it to see what the accuracy does after about 500 rds. Usually most barrels will be at their top at that round count for a factory barrel anyway.

I got in the M16a4 US Property marked lower and parts to assemble. Got her all together and slapped the upper on the lower and then put on the Colt A3 clamp on carry handle. Took it to the range and sighted it in. I was hitting clay birds at 100yds with FMJ loads every shot. If I missed it was me. The skeeters and flies were BAD!! Dang flies were drawing blood! One would get me just right and throw me off.

Very soft shooting and throwing all brass to my 4-5 oclock. And in a nice little circle. So it must be gassed right. Kinda digging the Gov't profile barrel. I can hold it up and shoot without getting tired. The trigger even though it has the nickel coating to make it smooth is horrible. It has to be 7lbs or so. I have one in another gun and it is very smooth and about 3lbs. So I don't know whats up with this new one. Maybe order some lighter springs for it. Putting it together I noticed the hammer spring was way stronger than what I remember other triggers were putting them together.

HtGH6QE.jpg

no65rXa.jpg