• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Pst gen 2 vs razor hd.

Bencote72

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2020
I’m seriously considering upgrading to the vortex razor hd 4.5-27x56 from a PST gen 2 5-25x50. I know the obvious differences between the 2 as far as tube size and lense size. But will I see a significant difference in the visions quality?

I have two of each (Razor & Viper PST). Acknowledging my sixty-something eyes, I would say optical quality is not where the biggest difference is seen - what you notice right away is the much more solid feel of the Razor turrets and the their locking feature. Of course, the Razor is a beefier, heavier scope.

I'm not saying the Razor's optical quality isn't better - but you said "significant." What constitutes "significant" is subjective...

Reactions: 92trk and CybrSlydr
Did it take you a while to adjust to the pop up turrets on the razor?
No difference really.

It might be worth noting that I disagree with one of the Vortex zeroing instructions. The manual says to loosen the lock rings, shoot, adjust... until zero is achieved. Then tighten the lock rings.

My experience is that if you shoot with the lock ring loose, rounds wander/groups open up. I loosen, shoot, tighten, repeat until I'm satisfied. It's a relative pita but it is what it is.

Reactions: Fig
Reliability and repeatability is much better in the gen 2 razor. Optical quality is better as well but the gen2 pst gas pretty decent glass for the price. Ive personally seen and tested mutiple gen2 pst, they quit tracking or have poi shift issues. Some never have issues others are plaquee. The erector assembly in the gen2 razor is muc more rebust the major cost difference in this optic.

Reactions: Steel head
I have a bunch of scopes and I've always felt that it's solidly at the bottom of the top tier of scopes with it's major disadvantage being how heavy it is. Obviously on a comp gun, for a ton of people, that's considered a feature rather than a disadvantage.

For what the used ones sell for here in the PX I can damn near justify putting one on my .22 chassis gun. I think still the best buy in scopes even considering all the good Chinese options there are now.

I have a bunch of scopes and I've always felt that it's solidly at the bottom of the top tier of scopes with it's major disadvantage being how heavy it is. Obviously on a comp gun, for a ton of people, that's considered a feature rather than a disadvantage.

For what the used ones sell for here in the PX I can damn near justify putting one on my .22 chassis gun. I think still the best buy in scopes even considering all the good Chinese options there are now.
I have the gen 2 razor and a pst gen2 and my buddy has a pst gen2 we were out shooting 700 yards up in the mountains and some fog blew in and I could still make shots and he couldn’t see the target I switched to see if it was just his eyes and it wasn’t.
this is a very rare case where in a real world situation the razor Image quality was enough better that it actually made a difference. Don’t get me wrong the razor is sharper and brighter but not really worth the price difference in less you just really need that extra 10% difference in image quality. Now the eye box on. The razor seems much better to me so that’s an advantage and tracking seems better as well. Like others said the weight of it could be good or bad..

Reactions: carbonbased
I was thinking more competition than hunting. Definitely it's a much bigger deal for hunting when often the critical shots are at twilight in half light. I prefer to have 56mm for those shooting time shots when you can turn night into day on low power. For most people (especially in the mountains) the weight becomes more of an issue for stalking and high camps. I've previously gotten my head bitten off over this issue from the oz. shavers. There are way better places to save weight than your scope, IMO, and I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: Sig Marine
I have two of each (Razor & Viper PST). Acknowledging my sixty-something eyes, I would say optical quality is not where the biggest difference is seen - what you notice right away is the much more solid feel of the Razor turrets and the their locking feature. Of course, the Razor is a beefier, heavier scope.

I'm not saying the Razor's optical quality isn't better - but you said "significant." What constitutes "significant" is subjective...
Agree 100% with your statement.

No difference really.

It might be worth noting that I disagree with one of the Vortex zeroing instructions. The manual says to loosen the lock rings, shoot, adjust... until zero is achieved. Then tighten the lock rings.

My experience is that if you shoot with the lock ring loose, rounds wander/groups open up. I loosen, shoot, tighten, repeat until I'm satisfied. It's a relative pita but it is what it is.
I left the screws tight zeroed since I only went down .4 mil I loosened everything up took the cap off set the zero stop to .4 down and tightened everything back up. Has tracked and returned to zero everytime like clockwork.

I’m seriously considering upgrading to the vortex razor hd 4.5-27x56 from a PST gen 2 5-25x50. I know the obvious differences between the 2 as far as tube size and lense size. But will I see a significant difference in the visions quality?
My comparison is not exactly what you are asking for but it is close. I have a Razor HD AMG 6 - 24 x 50 and the PST 6 - 24 x 50. Both are great. However, when you nget used to looking through the PST and then get behind the Razor HD AMG there is a noticeable difference. More like WOW, the clarity, crispness at the edges and overall “this is better feeling” is screaming loud. Whether this justifies the extra $1500 to go from the great PST to the wonderful Razor HD AMG is in the eyes (and budget) of the beholder. I move my Razor to my best rifle as I upgrade on a regular basis. I do not feel the need to replace the Razor HD AMG. At $2400 it is exactly what I wanted.

My comparison is not exactly what you are asking for but it is close. I have a Razor HD AMG 6 - 24 x 50 and the PST 6 - 24 x 50. Both are great. However, when you nget used to looking through the PST and then get behind the Razor HD AMG there is a noticeable difference. More like WOW, the clarity, crispness at the edges and overall “this is better feeling” is screaming loud. Whether this justifies the extra $1500 to go from the great PST to the wonderful Razor HD AMG is in the eyes (and budget) of the beholder. I move my Razor to my best rifle as I upgrade on a regular basis. I do not feel the need to replace the Razor HD AMG. At $2400 it is exactly what I wanted.

I sincerely hope the OP didn’t wait 2+ years for your reply in order to make his mind up🤣

for anyone looking for info on the topic, I currently still have both

Razor is better but unless you're traveling for comps or spending lots of $ going to events... the difference is fairly minimal

if your scope tracks accurately, I'd stick with the PST G2 5-25

if you're going to upgrade, make a bigger jump to Gen 3 or ZCO

for the $, the PST G2 is the better deal.

That said, I've found that better glass is nice to have and hard to downgrade from nicer glass, but if the scope tracks, you'll pretty much hit what you shoot at PST G2 and above level glass IMO.

One nice thing about quality glass is that you use it more than the action/barrel.