G

spife7980
spife7980.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
1214 posts this site
PTG Action Sale ?s
Tuesday at 11:08 AM Last edited Tuesday at 11:19 AM by spife7980

So when they say blue printed does that mean they only worked on the lugs enough to get the bolt to close? Or is it a full work over for truing the face and timing etc?

If its the first then Im not that interested but if its fully blueprinted then thats a heck of a bargain

pacifictoolandgauge.com/cfs-action-sale/11459-cfs-sa-receiver-w-ptg-bolt-and-remington-trigger.html

Rate now:
davisj3537XSergeant
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
105 posts this site
Re: PTG Action Sale ?s
Tuesday at 2:02 PM

I believe they come with PTG bolts so I would guess they do time them.

Shoot them an email or give them a call and ask. Every time I've spoken with them they were quick to provide answers in whatever detail I specified.

Rate now:
spife7980
spife7980.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
1214 posts this site
Tuesday at 3:03 PM Last edited Tuesday at 3:04 PM by spife7980

Well whoever I talked to just now couldnt find it in their system and couldnt really tell me anything. I asked if it was fully trued etc and she went ugh.... and then I asked if the action face was trued and she went ugh.... and then I asked about the threads and got an ugh... and other things she would just repeat what I said back to me without saying yes or no. So I have my first personal encounter with PTG not being helpful like Ive read so much about. I guess Ill just pass on it and not waste anymore time entertaining the thought.

Rate now:
davisj3537XSergeant
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
105 posts this site
Tuesday at 3:53 PM Last edited Tuesday at 3:54 PM by davisj3537

You've got to imagine why they have someone so uninformed answering the phone. FWIW I've always had to search for "700 blueprinted" to find the action in question. You'll find the stainless ones and the long action going that route. Here is the SA blued version.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/ptg-...y.html?search_query=700+blueprinted&results=5

Rate now:
Outlaw63
Outlaw63.gif

XGunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
738 posts this site
Tuesday at 10:38 PM

I saw these too. I was wanting a Deviant but these are half the price with a one piece bolt. Yeah the custom action has more bling but they do the same job right?
Rate now:
SlimySquirrel
SlimySquirrel.jpg

XSergeant
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
168 posts this site
Tuesday at 11:51 PM

spife7980 wrote:
Well whoever I talked to just now couldnt find it in their system and couldnt really tell me anything. I asked if it was fully trued etc and she went ugh.... and then I asked if the action face was trued and she went ugh.... and then I asked about the threads and got an ugh... and other things she would just repeat what I said back to me without saying yes or no. So I have my first personal encounter with PTG not being helpful like Ive read so much about. I guess Ill just pass on it and not waste anymore time entertaining the thought.​
Yeah, they're a nice action for the money. I had the same experience on the phone.... I had ordered a custom bolt and some other bits 8 weeks prior on a 6 week shipping time. I called to ask where they were and they struggled to find the order. Finally found the order but couldn't get it to me in time.... they then wanted to charge me for the restocking fee when they hadn't sent it out.... shame really, they make nice stuff. It just seems that they need to take care of the shop front a little better.

Rate now:
NY700XSergeant
473 posts this site
Wednesday at 7:24 AM

The model the OP linked to is a CFS cabin fever sports product. So I'm curious what's cabin fever sports and did Remington produce an in house line for the retailer. And as the OP wondered and couldn't get and answer it seems are these auctioned trued or just a apTG bolt cause for $400 that could be damn good
Rate now:
spife7980
spife7980.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
1214 posts this site
Wednesday at 8:31 AM

Exactly, I would sacrifice and integral recoil lug rail and side release for an extra grand in my pocket but the fact they can't answer my basic questions shows me exactly where the extra grand for a custom goes to. I'd rather good knowledgeable customer service than having an action show up possibly with unknown threads and tolerances for the same price as a standard factory.

Rate now:
wesoneXPrivate
Rating: 0.0/5 this site
17 posts this site
Wednesday at 9:45 AM

Mine will be here Thursday.

I'll post pics, if I don't forget

Rate now:
callen3615
callen3615.jpg

XCorporal
60 posts this site
Wednesday at 11:30 AM

Interested in how this turns out. If they chase the barrel threads a pre-fit barrel will be out of the question correct? How does a gunsmith install a barrel on the action then? Inspect the threads and cut threads on the lathe to match? Would it be a big gamble to order a prefit and install it on a trued factory action?

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.8/5 this site
3049 posts this site
Wednesday at 11:51 AM

A gunsmith will cut the threads on a new barrel to match your actions threads if it was already trued. If it wasnt trued he will true up the threads then cut the barrels threads to match. If the threads are trued I dont think you can use a prefit but I may be mistaken on that....

Rate now:
BlackbrushXGunny Sergeant
660 posts this site
Wednesday at 3:43 PM

PTG is horrible to deal with in recent years. Many posts to this effect.
Rate now:
ogreshooterXGunny Sergeant
833 posts this site
Wednesday at 9:13 PM

I bought one last year and found that they did true it up properly. That, or the one I got was dead nuts from Remington...

Rate now:
ogreshooterXGunny Sergeant
833 posts this site
Wednesday at 9:14 PM

FWIW, the customer service is terrible, but the product is still very good....

Rate now:
CowzruleXPrivate
4 posts this site
Wednesday at 9:39 PM

So what does this mean? If I can do a remage prefit on one of these with a nut I'd order one, but am confused. Also do they have long actions for this price too, or just the higher ~$600ish? Navigating their site is difficult.

Rate now:
spife7980
spife7980.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
1214 posts this site
Wednesday at 10:07 PM Last edited Wednesday at 10:08 PM by spife7980

Exactly, me too. But who the hell knows? Not them.

If they could tell me the specs I could be in for like a dozen of them

Rate now:
hoguerX96 MONTHS
Premium Member
First Sergeant
1933 posts this site
Thursday at 1:49 PM

Any new info? What extractor and firing pin is used?
On the last few blueprinted action combos I ordered they stated only the face of the action and lugs were trued. The treads are untouched. It was a great option for those wanting to run a RemAge barrel setup. If it comes with a MiniM16 extractor it's a screaming deal.

Rate now:
callen3615
callen3615.jpg

XCorporal
60 posts this site
Thursday at 2:36 PM

Exactly what I would like, do everything but touch the treads. I dont believe that it has much effect on accuracy.

Rate now:

hoguerX96 MONTHS
Premium Member
First Sergeant
1933 posts this site
Thursday at 2:58 PM

I've had 3 of them and that was their "blueprinting"
More bolt info would be needed for me. The standard combo let you spec your bolt out.

Rate now:
spife7980
spife7980.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
1214 posts this site
Thursday at 4:20 PM Last edited Yesterday at 3:14 PM by spife7980

hoguer wrote:
Any new info? What extractor and firing pin is used?
On the last few blueprinted action combos I ordered they stated only the face of the action and lugs were trued. The treads are untouched. It was a great option for those wanting to run a RemAge barrel setup. If it comes with a MiniM16 extractor it's a screaming deal.​
Nope, but I have a message in and am waiting a call back from someone who will hopefully be able to clear this all up for us. Ill see if the threads are still 1.0625x16 for remage. "FP diameter may vary, no other choices for color (anodizing and bolt finish may vary), handle style, extractor or FP"so that leads me to believe that they have a bunch of surplus that they are throwing into these to get rid of them but who knows. That would lead me to doubt that they have different extractors than a regular 700 bolt but in looking at the pic from the link it almost looks like I see some relief which would indicate that it has a different extractor. Personally I dont care about that so long as its squared up but its on my list of questions, let me know of others and Ill add it to the list before the call gets returned hopefully.

Questions-

1. Barrel threads and specs

2. extractor type (rem, m16/mini)

3. firing pin diameter (large.075/small.062)

4. whether the pic is accurate to the knob/handle style (90 vs swept)

5. bolt diameters (for coating but I assume its not too large for .001-.003 of cerakote)

6. what exactly has been squared up, action face/bolt face/extraction timing/ lug abutment

7. scope holes factory 6 or do they work those up to 8?

8. one piece bolt presumably

9. action serial (presumably RRs)

Rate now:
Shark64
Shark64.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
2746 posts this site
Thursday at 5:55 PM

I ordered an "in stock" DBM from them two weeks ago, after a week and a half of no shipping notification I emailed them to ask where my order is, they said my "in stock" DBM should be ready to ship this Friday... I replied back asking why it takes their shipping dept. TWO WEEKS to ship an "in stock" item and they have not responded.

Rate now:
lashlaroe
lashlaroe.jpg

X52 MONTHS
Premium Member
First Sergeant
Rating: 3.5/5 this site
3298 posts this site
Thursday at 6:52 PM
(1 vote)

Okay, I've been quiet so far on this, but thought that you should know that while you guys debate the finer points and berate PTG for their lack of front end knowledge (true I guess, but only pertinent if you are really ordering something custom, in my opinion), I went ahead and ordered one of these two days ago and just received shipping notice. Think about this for a minute. Even a plain Jane r700 action with a PTG bolt, of any type, would cost you more than this.

By the time you guys debate this to death, I'll have spun on my Criterion barrel I have with Remage nut and will be shooting it by next weekend.

Rate now:
spife7980
spife7980.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
1214 posts this site
Thursday at 6:59 PM

If it shipped in two days why the freck does it say 8-12 on the webpage?! When you get it let us know so that we can be confident in what we're getting because I doubt I will hear back from them.

Rate now:
lashlaroe
lashlaroe.jpg

X52 MONTHS
Premium Member
First Sergeant
3298 posts this site
Thursday at 7:27 PM

Yeah, who knows. When I ordered, it said 6-8 weeks and then at checkout, showed as back ordered. Wild ass guess is that maybe they are selling these as first come first served, when they get them assembled.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.8/5 this site
3049 posts this site
Thursday at 9:24 PM

Its tempting to grab one of these for a .223 rifle I am building next. Was holding out for a second TL3 but I may just grab one of these and have a Bartlein spun up, drop it in an XLR and throw a Jewel on it.

Rate now:
CoachMerc72
CoachMerc72.jpg

XSergeant
255 posts this site
Yesterday at 7:14 PM

Tag to get updates.

Rate now:
hoguerX96 MONTHS
Premium Member
First Sergeant
1933 posts this site
Yesterday at 7:44 PM

You can buy a new, stripped STAINLESS STEEL R700SA on Gunbroker for $225 shipped. A bolt built to your specs on bolt face, extractor and firing pin in STAINLESS STEEL as I just built costs $266.17 shipped from PTG.
That's a total of $491.17 vs this action at $457.51 with a 223bf. Yes this has the lugs and face squared, but it's not SS and you don't get really any options on your bolt, like getting rid of the Rem extractor. I would be putting the factory trigger in a parts bin so that's no advantage to me. In my 223 build path, I thing the SS upgrades outweigh the potentially questionable "blueprinting" from PTG. I can have the action trued up for $100 without them having to recut threads so I can still run a RemAge and have the bolt fitted by a smith who is going to have their name on it, not a assembly line at PTG that has a recent questionable history.
Just food for thought

Rate now:
lashlaroe
lashlaroe.jpg

X52 MONTHS
Premium Member
First Sergeant
3298 posts this site
Yesterday at 9:04 PM

I could care less about STAINLESS STEEL.
While it's not a huge amount, yours still cost $200 more than the one I just got. I have thousands of rounds through regular old R700 extractors with nary a failure. If it were a match rifle or a duty rifle, I'd care, but then I'd probably be buying a better action to start with.

And while there is so much bitching about PTG, I've never received anything bad from them. Now, if I were a busy gunsmith requiring piles of high quality custom reamers, it would probably be a different story, but half of you are making much ado about something you only read about on the Internet and truly have no experience with.

Rate now:
mdazzo
mdazzo.jpg

XSergeant
253 posts this site
Yesterday at 10:00 PM Last edited Yesterday at 10:04 PM by mdazzo

I called them today with questions and their CS was lacking. They acted like I was a pain in their ass just for asking a few questions.

Maybe they were annoyed with a previous customer or it was just a case of it being Friday. We've all had those days.

In this industry though, there are so many good people making quality products with excellent CS that I'd rather pay more and deal with them. jmo

Rate now:
spife7980
spife7980.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
1214 posts this site
Yesterday at 10:49 PM Last edited Yesterday at 11:02 PM by spife7980

Yeah, but I'd still rather pay less... if possible. I'm just waiting for lashes approval on the remage compatibility. Because that customer the seemed annoyed with was probably me leaving another message. I do hate that I'm piling on but really it's about 45 seconds of knowledge from anyone who knows what they are selling.

Rate now:

mdazzo
mdazzo.jpg

XSergeant
253 posts this site
Yesterday at 10:57 PM

I hear ya. From what I got from them was it is not blueprinted. Could be a blued receiver or SS. Bolt could be any number of configurations.

I guess it would cool for a 223 bug nut type build or something. Good luck, man.