• Today we celebrate America. Happy 4th!

Thank you to all the vets and Americans out there and if you were a vet, share your stories below! We're also offering a 15% discount on all subscriptions with code AMERICA24

Share your story Subscribe

Pulling Bullets

ColdSteel260

Unknown Member....
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
United States
Anyone pull bullets from lots of ammo you cooked up and didn't like?

How do you do it?

I've found that using a 5C collet and holder in place of a die in the press seems to allow me to salvage powder and the projectile.

I use one of these
667064.jpg

I have pulled way too many bullets to continue the use of an impact bullet puller.
Bought the $30.00 lee press and a forester collet bullet puller, borrowed the lee factory crimp die from an unused set, about $60.00 total. Mounted it to 1&1/2 inches of plywood 12 in. X 18 in.. Use C clamps to attach to work bench. It's handy when I need it but can be put away when I don't.

Grip-N-Pull.
I have a single stage press with no die and simply grip the bullet and retract the shell holder. Presto bullet out.
Once you get the hang of the pressure required, you can pull with no damage to bullet.

I use the RCBS Collet puller with collets for 22 cal, 6.5mm, and 30 cal. Biggest usage comes from tearing down development loads that don't pan out. No point in hanging onto inaccurate rounds.

I also keep an impact puller in my range bag so I can render a bunged up cartridge safe without having to take it all the way home to do it.

Greg

I broke down and bought the rcbs collet puller, I tell yeah it took bout 2 minutes to get the hang of gettin the tension right and wow that thing is awesome!!! Well worth the money no marks on a 130 Berger vld it was my first pull. The old hammer goin in the tool box

I own inertia and collet style bullet pullers. For one or two I will use the inertia but much prefer the collet puller.
Why?
I once had a primer go off when I struck the inertia hammer on hard surface. No injury to me but the hammer and shop light suffered catastrophic damage.

Hammer for the occasional fuckup, collet for the fucked up lots. Regardless of caliber, bullet or whatever the fuck. Collet will work on plated pistol bullets too if you're gentle enough.

You'd be stupid not to reuse 'em. They're usually just as accurate and certainly good enough for practice.

ALL my BMG shit was pulled, and not very nicely either. Still, it performs well. Turns out it takes quite a bit of damage to fuckup a bullet really and a few marks apparently doesn't do it.

Now would I used pulled bullets at 1km or at a match or some shit? No, but I'd sure as shit have no problem using 'em for anything else short of taking dope at long range. If it was hammer pulled during loading then just put it back in the loop --if the case hasn't been crimped yet that method does best since the components come out unmolested.

Reactions: BIGJOE38922