• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PVA Jet Blast vs Insite Arms Heathen

MrDogtor

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2019
Very interested in getting one of these two for my Fix 6.5 Creedmoor. Anyone here have experience with both of these and a recommendation? From what I've read, all of these brakes seems fairly similar, with some having slightly less or more back blast and recoil reduction. Also seems like some are better than others in terms of carbon lock up.

I made a very crude recoil test video of these two brakes, plus the Area419 Hellfire. I wanted to take some time to edit out my annoying voice as much as possible and add some title blocks for pertinent info, but I may end up just uploading it as is.
Without letting too much of the cat out to the bag, on my 18lb Nucleus action with PVA 24" M24 6.5CM barrel in JAE-700 chassis, the Heathen had repeatedly and consistently more measured recoil. It looks really good though.
If absolute recoil mitigation is your end-game, between the two then the Jetblast is the way to go.

I made a very crude recoil test video of these two brakes, plus the Area419 Hellfire. I wanted to take some time to edit out my annoying voice as much as possible and add some title blocks for pertinent info, but I may end up just uploading it as is.
Without letting too much of the cat out to the bag, on my 18lb Nucleus action with PVA 24" M24 6.5CM barrel in JAE-700 chassis, the Heathen had repeatedly and consistently more measured recoil. It looks really good though.
If absolute recoil mitigation is your end-game, between the two then the Jetblast is the way to go.
Have you had much experience with the APA little bastard to be able to offer a comparison as well?

Does it make up for this with less back blast and concussion?

You will hardly notice the recoil difference (if at all) when behind the rifle. I bet it would be indistinguishable for the vast majority of shooters. Well, between the Area 419, APA and Heathen, haven't shot an PVA brake yet.

The mitigation of concussion is more distinguishable, then the difference in recoil.

Concussion at the shooter is pretty much nonexistent with the Heathen.

Maybe it recoiled slightly more than the MBM beast I had before but I definitely feel it tracks better in recoil.

Reactions: kthomas
On my much lighter Bergara HMR, there was a definite felt recoil difference between the Heathen and the Hellfire. I haven't sat behind this rifle with the Heathen on it, but it measured more, and it was an amount I'm sure you'd feel in a side by side comparison, but in all honesty, they all do their job quite effectively over an un-braked muzzle.
As for concussion, I'm only shooting 6.5CM so there isn't much of any of them. They're all distinctly louder than an unbraked muzzle. Looks like I'm in disagreement with @kthomas on this one. In my back to back to back comparison, I couldn't quantify increase in volume or concussion. I did try, but I had no faith in the decibel meter apps I was using on two seperate iPhones to take readings behind the gun, and on the bench beside me, as they said peak volume was 85db. We know that cannot possibly be the case, so I abandoned that portion of the test early on.
I have not gotten my hands on any of the APA brakes, but I do know they rate really high among shooters and would love to try one.
For what it it's worth, the Jetblast stays on my gun full time now.
Also for what it's worth, I will be putting the Heathen on my HMR, since it's the lowest profile of the three and blends nicely with that skinny little barrel, and let's be honest with ourselves here. No one is getting separated shoulders from un-braked 6.5CM rifle recoil.
390e1657-50ce-4391-9e10-858245e15f35-jpeg.7103192

41fc4f88-8182-404f-8449-8430b5d8ac0b-jpeg.7103193

Last edited:
My experience:

I did own an APA LB - it reduced recoil really well, but the blast to shooter was awful to me. I sold it.

I have the Jetblast now. It reduces recoil really well, but doesn’t blast me with concussion like the APA did.

For the record: the APA didn’t bother me in comps, but was IMO effecting me negatively in practice - which is more important because it’s the foundation.

The JB doesn’t bother me in practice.

IMO, I don’t believe with 30/06 and under calibers the punch of recoil develops a flinch for most adult shooters - its the concussion and blast that have the most detrimental effect.

Last edited: