• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question about cheek placement on stock

Jwmeador

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2020
This might be a dumb question, but when I rest my cheek on any of my adjustable cheek rests and truly relieve the tension in my neck to rest my head on the stock my cheek rest adjustment is always comically, ridiculously high if the cheek rests can even be adjusted that high.

I'm just resting my cheekbone with eyes closed on the cheekpiece, and adjusting high enough to perfectly see through the scope when I open my dominant eye. My scopes are not mounted abnormally high. Most are on low mount rings. What could I missing here?

Why is my cheek weld so high? I don't think I have abnormally high cheekbones either.

This might be a dumb question, but when I rest my cheek on any of my adjustable cheek rests and truly relieve the tension in my neck to rest my head on the stock my cheek rest adjustment is always comically, ridiculously high if the cheek rests can even be adjusted that high.

I'm just resting my cheekbone with eyes closed on the cheekpiece, and adjusting high enough to perfectly see through the scope when I open my dominant eye. My scopes are not mounted abnormally high. Most are on low mount rings. What could I missing here?

Why is my cheek weld so high? I don't think I have abnormally high cheekbones either.
Function > appearance

Is that with you head up vertical? Or are you laying down on it so hard tilted forward having your eyes pointed up so far you’re looking at the target through your eyebrows?

Just whatever’s most comfy for you is not important.

I hate to say it, but this is where a picture of you on your rifle is worth a thousand words. It can be one of many things, to even include a need to adjust your LOP. We're just going to spitball answers otherwise.

I always prefer consistency over comfort, so if I can get behind my rifle the same way every time (in a certain position), I'll take that with just moderate comfort over feeling completely relaxed. I know that this opinion is contradictory to some others, but in a previous life we all shot in relatively uncomfortable (and tight) positions in competition. I don't remember any of those guys sucking either. Consistency is key, how you and your body get there is dependent on your structure.

Of course, maybe the 'easy button' for you is to just get a bunch of Wiebad mini stock pads 😄.

Brother, its all about the relationship of cheekbone to eye sockets. I find it hilarious that people advise EVERYBODY to get rings of X or Y height without having any fucking clue as to their facial geometry or the degree of elevation in their adjustable comb (proper word for the part your cheek sits on).

I come from a long background in high gun skeet where perfect gun fit is absolutely key and you will see all sorts of differences in comb elevation on folks shotguns because....they have different facial geometry.

If it fits then it fits and who gives a fuck how high your comb is adjusted. Right?

Last edited:
My neck mobility is not great. And I agree that it doesn't matter how it looks or how high the cheek rest looks, but it matters when I run out of adjustment on 2 of my prior rifles. I'm just trying to confirm that I'm not missing something.

Reactions: Baron23
My neck mobility is not great. And I agree that it doesn't matter how it looks or how high the cheek rest looks, but it matters when I run out of adjustment on 2 of my prior rifles. I'm just trying to confirm that I'm not missing something.
There's guys that do chin-welds vs cheek welds...

the reason I asked about mobility is because you mentioned something about relieving tension on your neck...years of being a desk jockey tend to wreck upper spine mobility, so its pretty common issue.

It not a quick fix or direct answer to your issues, but it might help you get better position and comfort, no matter what you figure out with your cheek riser height.

this is a good breakdown on the subject, phil velayo vid

Thanks for the video. I'm not uncomfortable when I'm in position. When I talked about relieving tension in my neck I meant just relaxing to lay on the cheekpiece to relax before the shot. I appreciate your response. Thanks.

Its already been beaten to death, but your cheek weld is where your cheek weld is. It just is what it is. Don't worry about it so long as you can get a consistent and comfortable position behind the optic.

It sounds like your LOP might be too long (and/or that you might need/want to try higher rings/mount).

When I see guys with their cheek piece cranked way up, 99.9% of the time they're doing something else wonky and the high cheek piece is a by-product. Don't get caught up specifically adjusting your rifle for shooting from the prone position unless that's how you do most/all of your shooting. A lot of times guys forget that prone is the most stable position we'll ever find ourselves in (therefore, it actually requires the least attention).

Adjust your gun so it fits you and allows you to get squared up behind it with a good natural point of aim most of the time no matter what, especially when in the more challenging positions you shoot from (for most that usually leads to a shorter length of pull, lower cheek riser, and maybe using a higher scope mount), once you get that dialed, prone will take care of itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: flogxal