Question for Dirtbike Riders

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    Any of you guys into dirtbikes? I’m looking at getting my 12yr old son his first bike. He was on a friends farm last week and picked it up pretty quick on a small pit bike. I could use some guidance though and have a a lot of questions.

I’m looking for a bike for him, and one for me. I have years of streetbike experience and had a number of motorcycles.

For him I’m leaning towards a 110 trail bike 4 stroke with a semi auto clutch. Specifically the Kawasaki KLX110R. I think for a first bike it will be easier for him to learn shifting without having to manipulate the clutch. He’s 12yrs old and a smaller framed kid. I think it will have plenty of power for him for atleast a year or two. But I’m not sure if my thinking is correct here.

My understanding is the 4 strokes have a wider power band and will allow him to ride with less shifting compared to a 2 stroke which needs to be run at higher rpm’s to be in the power zone.

For me im thinking the Kawasaki KLX 300R or possibly the KX250. But I think the KX250 may be a little overkill for cruising trails around the farms.

My wife, son and myself all raced.
    Xr 70 so he can learn the basics then go to a bike with a manual clutch.
    If you can work and maintain a bike buy a used one in decent shape in case he doesn’t like it. And like a firearm get him some basic instructions, unless you are a rider yourself. Most A class riders are good at working with youngsters. My son worked, went to college and gave 1on1 lessons at the track. Get him a decent helmet and some type of boots before popping for expensive riding gear.
    Good luck!👍

I like your choice for him, depending on age, weight etc.....But even that bike can be a handful for a beginner with no experience riding a bike.

I personally ride a KTM350 as it strikes the balance between the light weight of a 250 and almost the power of a 450. So your 300 kind of works the same way only leans toward less power, which is fine.

I'd never buy a kid a 2 stroke when a 4 stroke is a valid option. I may opt for a full clutch style bike as most modern bikes aren't harmed by not using the clutch while shifting. Having him learn to use the clutch and not get used to the semi-auto clutch crutch may be worth some consideration.

Whiskey throttle on either 2 or 4 won't be good. But the 4 will pull better at lower speeds and RPM's. (Somewhat bike dependent.)

Helmet with goggles and padding are a must have in my opinion. I went down on a track and my head was run over by the guy behind me. My Bell helmet saved me from something other than having my bell rung and a sore neck.

I’m looking for a bike for him, and one for me. I have years of streetbike experience and had a number of motorcycles.

For him I’m leaning towards a 110 trail bike 4 stroke with a semi auto clutch. Specifically the Kawasaki KLX110R. I think for a first bike it will be easier for him to learn shifting without having to manipulate the clutch. He’s 12yrs old and a smaller framed kid. I think it will have plenty of power for him for atleast a year or two. But I’m not sure if my thinking is correct here.

My understanding is the 4 strokes have a wider power band and will allow him to ride with less shifting compared to a 2 stroke which needs to be run at higher rpm’s to be in the power zone.

For me im thinking the Kawasaki KLX 300R or possibly the KX250. But I think the KX250 may be a little overkill for cruising trails around the farms.
    If you want a Kawasaki, older KDX 220 would be better for trails or the KLX 300. Motocross suspension is valved way different than a trail/woods bike.

Another kid there was riding an SSR 110 pit bike. I was suprised how well it did given its price point. But I have to imagine a Kawasaki or Yamaha 110 would be much better quality and be a lot easier to get parts for?

the Kawasaki KLX 110 is an awesome bike. my boy is 12 and has been riding the 110L with the clutch for a year and a half. I would recommend getting the one with the clutch at 12 he will be way ahead learning with a clutch. The 110L is also a little bigger and he won't out grow it as fast. the honda 125s are also great bikes and they make the in a big wheel and regular version.

If you want a Kawasaki, older KDX 220 would be better for trails or the KLX 300. Motocross suspension is valved way different than a trail/woods bike.
    Right. And at this time there’s no intention of doing any actually motocross. The farms we ride on are expansive. We can ride for 20 miles and never touch a road. I think getting a “trail bike” is in order to handle the terrain comfortably. The suspension needs to match how / where we plan on riding.

Reactions: Expert684
    Another kid there was riding an SSR 110 pit bike. I was suprised how well it did given its price point. But I have to imagine a Kawasaki or Yamaha 110 would be much better quality and be a lot easier to get parts for?
    Avoid the Chinese knock offs if you can afford it. Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki , KTM will all be much better built, longer lasting, better resale when the time comes. I've owned more of both than I care to admit so avoid my mistakes and buy once cry once.

All good advise. Lots of choices for smaller bikes, and some good, cheap ones are available as eventually everyone wants to move up. Spend money on a good quality (Snell approved ?) helmet, (if you’ve got a ten dollar head, get a ten dollar helmet. Don’t buy a ten dollar helmet….) Get a decent pair of motocross boots, good gloves and goggles. Dress for the crash, not the ride. And you will crash, or at least hit the ground, even if it’s a low side slow fall in the mud. Think laugh-in, and yes, I’m dating myself…
    Riding a dirt bike will make you a better street rider as everything is exaggerated in the dirt, and it’s fun. Good luck and have fun.

He’s 12yrs old and a smaller framed kid.
    couple of basic comments...

Keep in mind the bikes weight, when if falls over you need to pick it up. Lighter bikes (or smaller moving parts in the engine) are also easier to move around/ with while riding. You need to move around alot more on the bike in the dirt.

KTMs historically default top enduro bikes...but they always had (have?) adult level maintenance... :ROFLMAO:

Especially ith 4 strokes dirtbikes it was sometimes hours not x,xxx miles.

I would get a real clutch.

Just my $0.02

Utube has numerous favorable reviews of the KLX300 and really nothing bad. I haven’t had an opportunity to ride it yet, but have been considering this and the Honda XR300. All reviews put the KLX suspension ahead of the XR.

Reactions: Jigstick
    Depending upon what style of riding but I would tell you start him on a manual clutch, it is one of the most important skills a rider can have and kids pick things up fast. Get good quality saftey gear, helmet, boots, chest protector gloves etc... People dont put enough thought into this and get hurt.

I would also say to get a 2 stroke if riding woods\enduro, modern enduro two strokes are not the same as MX 2 strokes back in the day, power bands are wide and the ability to quickly get into the pipe is a huge benefit, 4 strokes stall more often at low rpm's, in the woods this is more challenging.

E start and fuel injection are the best thing that ever happend in 2 stokes, no kick starters and mixing fuel make it much more fun but this maybe something down the line. good luck and god speed.

Depending upon what style of riding but I would tell you start him on a manual clutch, it is one of the most important skills a rider can have and kids pick things up fast.
    Many other posters in this thread said the same thing but not "why" like you did. I learned to ride on a manual clutch Trials bike (Yamaha TY80) when I was 8, and had no difficulty with it whatsoever. It is a skill that can be useful in understanding how to drive other manual clutches in tractors, cars, trucks, etc. It is also a skill that is becoming less and less common. I don't see any disadvantages in learning on a manual clutch, but a lot of advantage. OP - get him a manual clutch, teach him how to use it and he will learn quickly if he's really interested in learning to ride to begin with.

At 12, he’s gonna think he’s faster, and a better rider than he actually is. He can ride in nothing but a pair of shorts, but a helmet, gloves, and over the ankle boots should not be optional.

Ever.

Depending on his size, I’d start him on a 4-stroke 75 or 80cc bike, then as his skills develop (and it’ll be fast), step up to a 110, then a 125 or maybe straight to a 150 depending on his skill level. Once he gets on a 250, it starts getting serious, and be ready for the money pit!

He should be able to ride a 250 dirt bike… well, pretty much forever, but there’s a whole world of 450(ish)+ bikes out there if his skill and desire take him that far. I’ve been out of that game for years, but if he’s good, once he gets to a 250 and bigger, with real suspension and brakes, a 2-stroke may be the way to go, depending on the type riding he’s doing.

OP I'm in the same boat as you. However I am just getting back into motorcycles after a a 12yr hiatus (guess how old my son is). My son currently rides a 90cc ATV casually. I hope to get him on a dirt bike as we have property. I just picked up this abomination.
    20240923_184146.jpg

I’m really back and forth about the clutch vs automatic. I think the automatic will let him focus more on balance, anticipating turns, dips, and hills. Allow him to focus more on the riding because shifting will be much easier. But I also get the point of teaching him how to use the clutch from day one. Unfurtunately their isn’t a manual clutch bike his size at the moment where we are riding for him to try out

I’m really back and forth about the clutch vs automatic. I think the automatic will let him focus more on balance, anticipating turns, dips, and hills. Allow him to focus more on the riding because shifting will be much easier. But I also get the point of teaching him how to use the clutch from day one. Unfurtunately their isn’t a manual clutch bike his size at the moment where we are riding for him to try out
    Kids are sponges, they will have that shit figured out way faster than you and I. Buy the bike using the same principle you use when buying guns. Don't buy for today, buy for tomorrow. If he can get both feet on the ground, you bought the wrong bike! At 12, I would get him something that will fit him just right at 14. 125cc....

I got my son a Honda crf 125 big wheel he was 10. He learned pretty quick on it he’s 12 now and thinks he’s a racer. They will learn the clutch no problem, I had him ride a day or so from 1st to 2nd as he got used to it. then had him go to next gear and so on till now he’s hell on wheels. but definitely don’t get automatic if the big wheel is to tall the same bike with out big wheel is I believe 2inches shorter.

There's a very wide range of acceptable.

First thing my kids got was a pair of motocross boots, knee pads, chest protector, helmet, gloves, and gogles. Knee braces are too be avoided until you have knee problems (most of them transfer the force into your ankles and hips, seen a couple broken hips at the track...)

My kids got to learn on a kx100 (both at 12 years old). Mean bastard when it's on the pipe and being ridden aggressively. But it's also got 26hp when a 112 has 6, so they can actually climb a hill around here.

They just had to learn how to correctly apply throttle. They have both wheelied over backwards. They have both stalled it. Part of learning. You don't have to ride a 2t on the pipe screaming for mercy at 12000 rpm. They will lug down better than the 4t.

I'll never own a 4t. I have 2 huskys, a 19 300 with electric start and counter-balancer, and a 96 360 that will run with the cr500s. Both make 60+HP. Both are easy to put around on and use that nice bottom end torque and will lug. They'll also come alive on the top and scream when you want them too.

The 96 doesn't get much seat time because parts are non-existent. The 19 is a slightly different KTM so parts are easy and plentiful.

Avoid the Chinese clones as parts are hit and miss.

And go have fun! I finally invested in a new GoPro for the last ride of the summer to capture the experience. (Listen to the bikes, neither one is being run on the pipe. Just lugged around just off idle.) This is my youngest, after a half dozen trips to the mountains. He's 12 and has about 20 hours of seat time now.

100cc or under Jap 4 stroke, as many have suggested. Hard to kill, gentle power but good grounding for later. Might be able to find a used one and save a few bucks, avoid if seller can’t immediately describe service routine. Get him into the habit of helping maintain it, and always wearing helmet, boots and gloves, and at least jeans, body armour optional.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    My 11yo has had a crf110 for a couple years. It's a great low maintenance bike that can be upgraded with bbr parts as needed. We mostly ride trails so it's still stock.

KTM's are a maintenance heavy bike. Lots of oil changes and piston replacements pretty often. My cousin has a few and his kids race. He always reccomended the crf110 over the ktm unless you track your bike.

I enjoyed my klx300r 100% more then my ktm 350. The ktm was only fun to ride fast other then that it was not happy. When riding with the kids I was never able to keep it going fast enough to stay cool. Always cooked my inner thighs.

Thats the trouble with kids. You’ll get him the perfect bike, then three rides later he’s way beyond it and needs something else. Fortunately everyone goes through this with their kids, which produces a steady stream of available small bikes that are gathering dust in the garage. Ask around, you might be surprised what you find. I dont have a ton of opinions on kids bikes. Try to get him some rides on a clutch-less bike if you want, but like mentioned above, he’ll be able to use a clutch pretty quickly, which is important.

I rode since I was small. Dad taught me, but like lost people, I kind of crashed my way to some mediocre skill level where I stayed for a long time. Dad didn't have the technical knowledge to teach beyond using the clutch, throttle, and gears. I was fortunate to stay away from serious Injuries by sheer luck. It wasn't till i was old enough to buy and start racing a 600 super-sport road race machine that I took some classes. Holy shit, night and day progress. Fast forward to today, I can ride at 75% be very quick, and crashes are few and far between. Lots of my friends and co-workers my age(48) are still winging it, and they're slow, and they crash a lot. It didn’t have to be that way for them.

There is a proper way to ride a motorcycle, and figuring it out early through some Instruction will mean less crashes/injuries, and more enjoyment overall. This is probably more important for you than the kid. He’ll bounce like a rubber ball when he goes down, adults cant get away with that stuff so easily, and we have to go to work on Monday.

Moto schools are popping up everywhere, and they tend to travel around to get near the clientele, just like the shooting schools do.

Here’s an example. This guy was a mid-pack Pro Supercross rider who has a knack for the teaching aspect. You can watch hours of this stuff for free, but it will give you an idea of some of the technique required.

Pis and shit.
    The best off road bike ever! Dont buy this @Jigstick, get a foundation first.
    IMG_9015.jpeg

Last edited:
    I got my son a Honda crf 125 big wheel he was 10. He learned pretty quick on it he’s 12 now and thinks he’s a racer. They will learn the clutch no problem, I had him ride a day or so from 1st to 2nd as he got used to it. then had him go to next gear and so on till now he’s hell on wheels. but definitely don’t get automatic if the big wheel is to tall the same bike with out big wheel is I believe 2inches shorter.

That’s awesome… We started ours on 50cc Hondas (3-speed manual shift, but no clutch) as soon as they could ride a bicycle without training wheels:

IMG_6991.jpeg

IMG_6992.jpeg

Mine were slow to move up to the 90-110cc bikes, but it went fast from there. Our son outgrew his 110 almost as soon as he got on it!

Mostly KTM 2-strokes after that while we were stationed in Europe, and then we eventually moved back to the US, and never really got back into it with our schedules/life.

Thats the trouble with kids. You’ll get him the perfect bike, then three rides later he’s way beyond it and needs something else. Fortunately everyone goes through this with their kids, which produces a steady stream of available small bikes that are gathering dust in the garage. Ask around, you might be surprised what you find. I dont have a ton of opinions on kids bikes. Try to get him some rides on a clutch-less bike if you want, but like mentioned above, he’ll be able to use a clutch pretty quickly, which is important.

I rode since I was small. Dad taught me, but like lost people, I kind of crashed my way to some mediocre skill level where I stayed for a long time. Dad didn't have the technical knowledge to teach beyond using the clutch, throttle, and gears. I was fortunate to stay away from serious Injuries by sheer luck. It wasn't till i was old enough to buy and start racing a 600 super-sport road race machine that I took some classes. Holy shit, night and day progress. Fast forward to today, I can ride at 75% be very quick, and crashes are few and far between. Lots of my friends and co-workers my age(48) are still winging it, and they're slow, and they crash a lot. It didn’t have to be that way for them.

There is a proper way to ride a motorcycle, and figuring it out early through some Instruction will mean less crashes/injuries, and more enjoyment overall. This is probably more important for you than the kid. He’ll bounce like a rubber ball when he goes down, adults cant get away with that stuff so easily, and we have to go to work on Monday.

Moto schools are popping up everywhere, and they tend to travel around to get near the clientele, just like the shooting schools do.

Here’s an example. This guy was a mid-pack Pro Supercross rider who has a knack for the teaching aspect. You can watch hours of this stuff for free, but it will give you an idea of some of the technique required.

Pis and shit.
    The best off road bike ever! Dont buy this @Jigstick, get a foundation first.
    View attachment 8519853

This is a great post… @Jigstick please read it and watch that video twice! LoL

My wife, son and myself all raced.
    Xr 70 so he can learn the basics then go to a bike with a manual clutch.
    If you can work and maintain a bike buy a used one in decent shape in case he doesn’t like it. And like a firearm get him some basic instructions, unless you are a rider yourself. Most A class riders are good at working with youngsters. My son worked, went to college and gave 1on1 lessons at the track. Get him a decent helmet and some type of boots before popping for expensive riding gear.
    Good luck!👍
    This. Although, I started on a manual clutch. I started on a YZ80, and that's plenty of bike for an 11y/o. He'll enjoy it more on a lighter and easier to handle bike. The little ones have tons of torque, and he doesn't need to go that fast to have a great time.

My kid is riding a 250, but he's 15 and a big kid so he can handle it.

Also @Supersubes your bike reminds me of a funny story…

img_9015-jpeg.8519853

We sold all our dirt bikes when we moved back to the US, and I moved to our new assignment about a month before my family; we wanted to wait for our household goods to arrive before they showed up, so I geobached it while they visited family for a few weeks.

Just before they arrived, I told my son, who was 13 years old at the time, that I’d picked up a new Husqvarna and it’d be waiting for him in the garage when he got here. I picked them up at the airport, and he was literally bouncing up and down in his seat as we pulled up to the new house and I pushed the button on the garage door opener.

He was expecting a bike similar to yours. Instead I had one of these waiting for him:

1728398329028.jpeg

He was so pissed when the garage door went up, but my wife and I were literally crying with laughter… Told him it was a good tool to start earning some money and buy his own bike, so it paid off in the long run!

Also @Supersubes your bike reminds me of a funny story…

img_9015-jpeg.8519853

We sold all our dirt bikes when we moved back to the US, and I moved to our new assignment about a month before my family; we wanted to wait for our household goods to arrive before they showed up, so I geobached it while they visited family for a few weeks.

Just before they arrived, I told my son, who was 13 years old at the time, that I’d picked up a new Husqvarna and it’d be waiting for him in the garage when he got here. I picked them up at the airport, and he was literally bouncing up and down in his seat as we pulled up to the new house and I pushed the button on the garage door opener.

He was expecting a bike similar to yours. Instead I had one of these waiting for him:

View attachment 8519866

He was so pissed when the garage door went up, but my wife and I were literally crying with laughter… Told him it was a good tool to start earning some money and buy his own bike, so it paid off in the long run!
    Better to teach them the hard lessons early! 😂😂😂

• Haha
    Word of caution to the OP.
    Having a ton of experience with riding street bikes doesn’t mean you can ride dirt bike.
    Be careful. Thinking “this is gonna be easy” has ruined more than 1 persons life.

You sound like you're scared of your own shadow.

I'm beginning to see why they still make air cooled ancient tech bikes. Half of the people in this thread are scared of them, much less a new bike full of tech and power.

• Sad
    I started on an old XR 100, they aren’t crazy power wise. It was a little thumper but it wasn’t crazy like a 2 stroke on the pipe if you whiskey throttled it and I’ve Supermaned into a bush or 10, and trees.
    The whiskey throttle and superman bits gave me flashbacks lol.

KLX110's are awesome little pitbikes, that are fun for all ages, and there's a ton of aftermarket for them.
    I've had three of them now. Still have the two 110L's. One is stock with a yoshi pipe. I highly reccomend a pipe for a stock machine. Gives them a lot more bottom end.
    My other L is a 143cc now with a big valve head and a cam with the 26mm carb. Also a yoshimura pipe and the big people protaper bar setup. With my 185lb self on it it still does 60 mph.

Sold my og klx 110, it was an 06 model that I bought new and way down the road I did a complete kx 60 suspension swap on. It was also a 143 with a head, cam, and carburetor. It had a thunder alley pipe on it. Awesome little pipe.

I don't think you would regret the purchase of a KLX 110L. I'd be willing to bet he'll pick the clutch thing up in a day.

PPE reccomendations, at a bare minimum a pair of boots. My boots saved me from a couple broken ankles and at least one shattered foot. And gloves are nice when you loop out on asphalt. Wish I'd had pants and long sleeves on that day. But I had my boots on! 🤣

Buy used as he will out grow a smaller bike quick. Unless he's a tard he will pick up the clutch Pronto. At 12 I would recommend bigger than 80cc.

I personally think if the trails are complicated going without a clutch will be more enjoyable at the age of 12 for both of you. You will avoid stalling it a lot on complicated terrain and having to stop, help start the bike etc.

Here's my progression:
    Age 10 - yamaha pw50 no clutch or shifting
    Age 12 - yamaha pw80 no clutch just foot shifting
    Age 14 - yamaha ttr-125 full clutch
    Age 18 - kx250 2 stroke
    Age 25 - yamaha YZ426F

The kx250 and yz426f really were too much for trails but the power was fun to say the least.

Now I'm rocking a 05 Kawasaki KLR250 which I think is one of the best all around trail bikes you can have. Wish they still made new production.

My first bike was a 1980 CR80 Honda (I have been at this for a bit). Get a bike with a clutch start on flat ground he should figure it out in an hour or so and learn a lot more techniques like feathering the clutch to control power. 85cc dirt bikes aren't too hard to control but keep in mind they are serious machines. If you start out with something to slow, he will get bored really quick. I would recommend a riding school or lessons for both of you if you have not ridden on dirt very much. I got my first 80 I was 12 with no experience racing three months later with epic battles for last place. Moved to a 125 at 15 then 125 and 250's at 17. Few years on CR500s also talk about a beast but helped me when I got into road racing for a bit. Now looking at a new YZ250 for occasional motorcross and trail riding I am 57. I would checkout a YZ250x you can find them used they are a great trailbike and easy to maintain and more power than you will need, even the regular YZ250 is pretty controllable especially with a flywheel weight

Didn't read everything- so this could have all been said already...

Most kids that I've seen that struggled with a clutch was because they didn't really understand what it does and how to use it. I was taught to use it in to take off- let it out smooth but quickly- and then don't use it until you want to shift or stop-- because overusing it would burn it up..... Now I ride with 1 finger always covering the clutch-- slip it all the time to create traction and am constantly on it...

2 stroke/4 stroke doesn't really matter as long as it is a trail machine. Modern 300 2-strokes can lug around at low/mid range all day and be completely happy (and they run cooler)- but some real good trail 4-strokes as well. Just stay away from race bikes and 450s. With very few exceptions (racing-sand-hill climbs etc) 450s have just become way to powerful and not much fun to ride.

I'm beginning to see why they still make air cooled ancient tech bikes. Half of the people in this thread are scared of them, much less a new bike full of tech and power.
    He didn't say dont do it, he said dont be overconfident, and he’s right. A road rider who’s never ridden a dirtbike often (not always) struggles with the loose feeling, and crashes a lot as a result. Cant tell you how many times I've seen this.

Last edited:
    He didn't say dont do it, he said dont be overconfident, and he’s right. A road rider who’s never ridden a dirtbike often (not always) struggles with the loose feeling, and crashes a lot as a result. Cant tell you how many times I've seen this.

I didn't see street bikes mentioned anywhere else. He's the only one who brought it up?

There's plenty of guys mentioning bikes that haven't had updates to the suspension or engine since the 90s. Waste of money.

Let me guess, you think loud pipes save lives too, right? :rolleyes:

I raced ‘street’ bikes for 15 years (primarily a Yosh stage1 GSXR750 with stage2 cams), and dipped my toes into Moto-X racing, but most of my Off-road riding is trail and aggressive OHV type riding (big jumps, fast trails). Aside from being on two wheels, they are nothing alike…completely different skill sets to do well in competition.

Regardless, he’s asking for suggestions and advice about getting his son up to speed off road. It has nothing to do with the size of your balls or how far you like to push the limits.

If you don’t have anything useful to add, feel free not to post.

My first bike was a 1980 CR80 Honda (I have been at this for a bit). Get a bike with a clutch start on flat ground he should figure it out in an hour or so and learn a lot more techniques like feathering the clutch to control power. 85cc dirt bikes aren't too hard to control but keep in mind they are serious machines. If you start out with something to slow, he will get bored really quick. I would recommend a riding school or lessons for both of you if you have not ridden on dirt very much. I got my first 80 I was 12 with no experience racing three months later with epic battles for last place. Moved to a 125 at 15 then 125 and 250's at 17. Few years on CR500s also talk about a beast but helped me when I got into road racing for a bit. Now looking at a new YZ250 for occasional motorcross and trail riding I am 57. I would checkout a YZ250x you can find them used they are a great trailbike and easy to maintain and more power than you will need, even the regular YZ250 is pretty controllable especially with a flywheel weight

YZ sounds good until you ride with the KTM guys who push a button. There's an aftermarket e-start kit for the YZ but it's expensive.
    I fought that battle in my head for years. 1 15 minute ride on an e-start 300 and I went and bought one myself.

Not to mention Yamaha haven't updated much other than the plastics since about 05. They were a good bike back then, but now they don't compare.

Suspension is lacking, clutch is horrible, only bonus is there's more aftermarket to fix the factory shortcomings.