• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Question on stall mats

Taylorbok

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2017
Sask, Canada
I've recently started using some chunks of cut up stall mat for extra elevation on my rear bag.
Works really well but they do slide around a fair bit during recoil.
I'm going to try some different bags to let the gun slide on top better but any tips/ pointers on getting the mats to stick together better?

PSA, as in 'pressure sensitive adhesive'. ie sticky back sandpaper, stuck *to* the bottom of the chunks of mat. You can order it in sheets or rolls.

Or if you want it to be all tacticool (black) you could use non-skid stair tread tape.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Are you talking about the heavy rubber stall mats like they sell at Tractor Supply?

Maybe try an anti-fatigue mat, light, soft and grippy, thick too

Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 21.40.05.png
Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 21.38.48.png

Reactions: Taylorbok
PSA, as in 'pressure sensitive adhesive'. ie sticky back sandpaper, stuck *to* the bottom of the chunks of mat. You can order it in sheets or rolls.

Or if you want it to be all tacticool (black) you could use non-skid stair tread tape.
OK I thought you meant "Public service announcement" hahah, Grip tape will probably work well. I'll give it a go thanks.
Are you talking about the heavy rubber stall mats like they sell at Tractor Supply?

Maybe try an anti-fatigue mat, light, soft and grippy, thick too
I think those be to soft a squishy for what I want.

Some sort of rubberized spray might work also.

Thanks folks

Reactions: Darryle
I've recently started using some chunks of cut up stall mat for extra elevation on my rear bag.
Works really well but they do slide around a fair bit during recoil.
I'm going to try some different bags to let the gun slide on top better but any tips/ pointers on getting the mats to stick together better?
Show us a picture of what you are doing. Most shooters in the US are using those with zero problems.

-Alex

Show us a picture of what you are doing. Most shooters in the US are using those with zero problems.

-Alex
IMG_7556.jpeg

I think my issue is it’s a pint size game changer tits down on top. It’s gripping the rifle and mats to much, I just put the ski feet on and they did help the problem a bit, seems to bite the bag a bit less.

I’ve got a protektor DR bag but IMO its to heavy for target transitions and weight limits. Also I like the bit of squish if I need just a touch of elevation but with the adjustable bag rider I’m gonna try and get out of that habit.

I’ve ordered a protektor brick ELR that should solve the problem but it won’t be here in time for Ko2M Canada.

Last edited:
View attachment 8495487
I think my issue is it’s a pint size game changer tits down on top. It’s gripping the rifle and mats to much, I just put the ski feet on and they did help the problem a bit, seems to bite the bag a bit less.

I’ve got a protektor DR bag but IMO its to heavy for target transitions and weight limits. Also I like the bit of squish if I need just a touch of elevation but with the adjustable bag rider I’m gonna try and get out of that habit.

I’ve ordered a protektor brick ELR that should solve the problem but it won’t be here in time for Ko2M Canada.
So the mats we use have corrugation at least on one side and interlock so they don't really slide in any orientation. Most people also cut them to about a square foot. Ive seen people use small stacks like that and just screw them together into blocks but if you are changing elevation between targets then that seems like a bad idea.

May still be mostly the game changer. I like the cheap ass caldwell bunny ears filled with nurdles but bag choice and fill are a personal choice with no right/wrong answer.

-Alex

Any of the stall mats I've ever seen are just flat, what's the name of the mat you guys use. Ribbed sounds like it might work.

I think mine are about 10" square, they are the right size so they don't get in my way.
Ya I don't wanna screw them together for adjustment sake.

I'll keep trying different bags also. As if I don't already have enough.
You've actually got me thinking maybe that Protektor would work well with some form of light fill in it, I'm gonna see what I can track down for that

These are ribbed on one side for your shooting pleasure.

Plastic nurdles are lowish density but not especially compressible. Their shape allows them to flow well as you squeeze.

-Alex
Not gonna believe we don’t have Tractor supply. Hahah. Our equivalent (peavey mart) doesn’t have the ribbed version. I stuck some of that tread tape on them and that seems like it’s gonna help.

I’m gonna stick with my system for now and try some different bags. See where it leads me.