Questions on rebarrel

Johnsond19d

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2018
Im getting to the point of needing to rebarrel a 7mm Remington magnum. I have been thinking about going to a 28 Nosler or something else. Hunting is the main use but I want to start using this out past 1500 yards on steel

Need a little more info to make recommendations.
What we know: .540 +/- bolt face, leaning towards 7mm, 1500 yards

What action? Repeater or single feed, max aol? Do you reload?

Last edited:
Easiest choice would be to stick with 7rm with fast twist since you have dies already. Go 28 nosler if that’s what tickles your fancy.
FWIW my 243 hits steel and rocks at 1500 just fine so go with what ever you want and go shoot it

Reactions: sandwarrior
Stick with 7mmRM. Years ago I had this same issue when the STW came out. I had to have it due to the 150 FPS plus it had over the RM. Built the rifle, bought all the ancelary equipment and shoot it. Fast forward about 20 years and a few rebarrels on the RM latter, the STW still has the same barrel on it. Why, just because it can push it faster does not mean your accurate load will be that much faster. PITA fireforming brass. Divine intervention happened when a few cartridges where made, the 7mm Rem Mag is one in my opinion. Just so my reasoning and bias are clear, can you guess the other cartridge I believe this off. Good luck, any 7mm is awesome so fear not your decision.

Easiest choice would be to stick with 7rm with fast twist since you have dies already. Go 28 nosler if that’s what tickles your fancy.
FWIW my 243 hits steel and rocks at 1500 just fine so go with what ever you want and go shoot it
Ok sounds good to me I didn’t want to do the rebarrel and miss out on the chance to go with something that is a better round I’m new to the reloading and elr game only been doing it for a few years. Thanks for the help

Reactions: jasent
Stick with 7mmRM. Years ago I had this same issue when the STW came out. I had to have it due to the 150 FPS plus it had over the RM. Built the rifle, bought all the ancelary equipment and shoot it. Fast forward about 20 years and a few rebarrels on the RM latter, the STW still has the same barrel on it. Why, just because it can push it faster does not mean your accurate load will be that much faster. PITA fireforming brass. Divine intervention happened when a few cartridges where made, the 7mm Rem Mag is one in my opinion. Just so my reasoning and bias are clear, can you guess the other cartridge I believe this off. Good luck, any 7mm is awesome so fear not your decision.
Thank you for the feed back I know that I am the person that can get sucked into the FPS game and lose track of the big picture

if i were to do a long action 7 it'd be a 7/300PRC...omnce brass from Peterson/Alpha becomes available

but you're probably limited to short than CIP mags.

in which case, why does the 7RM not work? what would a 28Nosler or other cartridge give you besides more expense

if i were to do a long action 7 it'd be a 7/300PRC...omnce brass from Peterson/Alpha becomes available

but you're probably limited to short than CIP mags.

in which case, why does the 7RM not work? what would a 28Nosler or other cartridge give you besides more expense
The one thing that I would get from the 28 Nosler is around 150-175 FPS using the 180grain Berger’s I haven’t done much research or heard anything about 7-300prc I’m guessing that is the non belted version of the 7-300 win mag? And I shooting this out of a single shot bedding block But that could change I’m just trying to go in the right direction and not chase something stupid just because I don’t have enough knowledge in it

I debated going w a 28 Nosler but brass has been a issue. I have a Bartlein 5r Marksman contour 7MM 1-7.5 twist available if someone needs a fast twist barrel. I waited 6 months from Bartlein and have decided to go a different direction.

I debated going w a 28 Nosler but brass has been a issue. I have a Bartlein 5r Marksman contour 7MM 1-7.5 twist available if someone needs a fast twist barrel. I waited 6 months from Bartlein and have decided to go a different direction.
yes like junk brass unless you form it from quality ultra mag brass

Like a couple else on here I was going through the same question.

But I know that my 7mm shoots well and I have all the dies.

Factory ammo is everywhere especially handy if you travel to hunt.
D6184E3A-A9B0-4D9A-8D9A-439451598A81.jpeg

My gun smith original tried to get me to do the 28N. But after a couple of months going back and forth, he had more reports back from the 28’s finding pressure issue when guys were really trying to reach max published speeds with the brass they were using.
BB0E4537-6A88-4CB7-8E9B-35B09076CC0E.jpeg

I ended up staying with the 7mm and am happy with it. This is now the setup as my long range hunter (actually for my son).

below is an older video with the 7mm on a 24" plate at 2400yards. First I shot the larger watermarks with a 338. Missed the first two with the 7 but got the third.. wind mostly was the issue. Just note that the 7mm or 28N for an ELR gun is going eat barrels.

Last edited: