R700 Multi-Cal Footprint Action for Growing Kid Question...

M8541Reaper

Frozen Sour Patch Kid Cult Leader
Minuteman
  • Jul 23, 2011
    AZ
    I want to buy my kid a 223 bolt gun but figured why not get him something he can grow with over the years and not age/grow out of. Start him on 223 then allow it to run the short action caliber gauntlet. This way I can get him a setup where all we need to change over the years is the chassis. If there's something I'm missing or this setup doesn't exist, please let me know what you'd recommend.

I shoot an AXSR so I am so far out of the loop of what actions are the new cool kid things to have these days...so I figured I'd ask y'all.

Specs Required:
    -R700 Short Action Footprint
    -Integrated 20MOA base
    -User-Replaceable Bolt Faces (223-308) - OR - Multiple Bolts from the Factory
    -Quick-Change Barrel w/ Pre-Fit Options
    -AICS or AW Magazine Compatibility

Notes:
    -If it could also take a 65PRC bolt face that would be a plus but not a requirement.
    -I want to be able to source all of the parts from the manufacturer of the action (aka I want to be able to buy the extra bolts/bolt faces from them when I buy the action).
    -Pre-Fit Barrel capable seems to be the way these days and I've had zero issues with that route on the AI.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

-Cheers-

I want to buy my kid a 223 bolt gun but figured why not get him something he can grow with over the years and not age/grow out of. Start him on 223 then allow it to run the short action caliber gauntlet. This way I can get him a setup where all we need to change over the years is the chassis. If there's something I'm missing or this setup doesn't exist, please let me know what you'd recommend.

I shoot an AXSR so I am so far out of the loop of what actions are the new cool kid things to have these days...so I figured I'd ask y'all.

Specs Required:
    -R700 Short Action Footprint
    -Integrated 20MOA base
    -User-Replaceable Bolt Faces (223-308) - OR - Multiple Bolts from the Factory
    -Quick-Change Barrel w/ Pre-Fit Options
    -AICS or AW Magazine Compatibility

Notes:
    -If it could also take a 65PRC bolt face that would be a plus but not a requirement.
    -I want to be able to source all of the parts from the manufacturer of the action (aka I want to be able to buy the extra bolts/bolt faces from them when I buy the action).
    -Pre-Fit Barrel capable seems to be the way these days and I've had zero issues with that route on the AI.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

-Cheers-
    If you are trying to set up a kid for hunting or shooting in general, the biggest variable to consider is whether the kid in question will even give a poot about shooting in 4 or 5 years. Hopefully so but unless you are "making them" go shoot, many will go through a variety of hobbies and interests on their way to adulthood.

With that possibility in mind a lot of Dads will opt to go basic and budget at first unless they are simply using the kiddo as an excuse to blow into another full blown rifle project.

We used to get a lot of new dads asking for such advice. *NOTE: This was before the rifle scene evolved into the current plug and play world of precision rifles costing a LOT of money.

Not knowing if the kid was going to be interested in rifles at all in 2 years, I would suggest the parent get a Rem M700 Youth Model in .308Win. Those guns came from the factory with a shorter LOP stock.

Work up a reduced load with Speer 100gr plinker or 110gr HP Varminter bullets using pistol powder. These can be very accurate, no recoil and have a report similar to a 22WMR. Teach the kids all the basics out to 100yds.

Once the kid is acclimating to the rifle, move up to a medium load with 125 to 130gr class bullets and let them learn to shoot out to 300.

If they want to hunt deer or similar, load 150 or 170gr flat nose bullets designed for 30-30Win. With thin jackets and soft cores these bullets are designed to have great terminal ballistics around 2200 to 2400 fps so load them to that speed. Load few hundred rounds of this and let the kid practice. Come deer season, your kid will have a dead deer on the ground with one shot while the rest of your hunting group is out looking for the 2 bucks that cousin Billy and Uncle Ralph gut shot with their 300 Ultra Mags.

IF your kid stays interested in shooting as they mature, you can move the rifle into an adult sized stock, nicer scope, etc. For HS graduation, you can have the rifle built into a nice custom in any caliber compatible with that action. Actually, because they will have a lot of growing up memories with the rifle by then, the better option would be to keep the rifle in its original form (maybe for their kids to learn on one day) and just by them a new custom.

If you are trying to set up a kid for hunting or shooting in general, the biggest variable to consider is whether the kid in question will even give a poot about shooting in 4 or 5 years. Hopefully so but unless you are "making them" go shoot, many will go through a variety of hobbies and interests on their way to adulthood.

With that possibility in mind a lot of Dads will opt to go basic and budget at first unless they are simply using the kiddo as an excuse to blow into another full blown rifle project.

We used to get a lot of new dads asking for such advice. *NOTE: This was before the rifle scene evolved into the current plug and play world of precision rifles costing a LOT of money.

Not knowing if the kid was going to be interested in rifles at all in 2 years, I would suggest the parent get a Rem M700 Youth Model in .308Win. Those guns came from the factory with a shorter LOP stock.

Work up a reduced load with Speer 100gr plinker or 110gr HP Varminter bullets using pistol powder. These can be very accurate, no recoil and have a report similar to a 22WMR. Teach the kids all the basics out to 100yds.

Once the kid is acclimating to the rifle, move up to a medium load with 125 to 130gr class bullets and let them learn to shoot out to 300.

If they want to hunt deer or similar, load 150 or 170gr flat nose bullets designed for 30-30Win. With thin jackets and soft cores these bullets are designed to have great terminal ballistics around 2200 to 2400 fps so load them to that speed. Load few hundred rounds of this and let the kid practice. Come deer season, your kid will have a dead deer on the ground with one shot while the rest of your hunting group is out looking for the 2 bucks that cousin Billy and Uncle Ralph gut shot with their 300 Ultra Mags.

IF your kid stays interested in shooting as they mature, you can move the rifle into an adult sized stock, nicer scope, etc. For HS graduation, you can have the rifle built into a nice custom in any caliber compatible with that action. Actually, because they will have a lot of growing up memories with the rifle by then, the better option would be to keep the rifle in its original form (maybe for their kids to learn on one day) and just by them a new custom.
    Great advice, thank you.
    I was kind of shying away from the usual path of a budget factory shelf setup because if he does abandon it in a few years then it would become my backup/loaner rifle.

He currently shoots pistol competitions with me (he runs a G44) and isn’t showing signs of slowing. He runs my LMT MRP & AXSR out to 500yds (farthest the public range goes to) with 223, 308, 65cm, and 300PRC on ~2MOA steel from tripod standing (he’s 8 now so prone and table top is still a bit eh to get him into).

So figured why not just get him a 223 bolt gun that will grow and let him start getting after it. …and the benefit is that the wife is fully onboard and gave the green light. So no fight there, which is always great haha.

He currently shoots pistol competitions with me (he runs a G44) and isn’t showing signs of slowing. He runs my LMT MRP & AXSR out to 500yds (farthest the public range goes to) with 223, 308, 65cm, and 300PRC on ~2MOA steel from tripod standing (he’s 8 now so prone and table top is still a bit eh to get him into).
    That is awesome as hell. Give him as much rope as he can run with!

So figured why not just get him a 223 bolt gun that will grow and let him start getting after it. …and the benefit is that the wife is fully onboard and gave the green light. So no fight there, which is always great haha.
    Having the mama bear on board is a HUGE positive. Good for both of you.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    That is awesome as hell. Give him as much rope as he can run with!

Having the mama bear on board is a HUGE positive. Good for both of you.
    Haha thanks man. Yea wife was actually the one with the idea of not starting off small and just getting him the right tools that won’t be the limiting factor to see what he can do…and grow to do.

It’s that scary feeling on a stage when your kid’s raw time is creeping close and he’s climbing the chart after ya. 😂😂😂😂

Best part is that he’s safe and none of this is pushed on him.

🍻