Radio FYI

Gunfighter14e2

Hunter/trapper of Remora's
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2002
Lick skillet Alabama
eham.net
Received another shipment of Baofeng radios two weeks ago & yesterday got around to programming them. Some had very odd freqs with Tx & Rx tones or DCS programmed in them but the kicker was a few had, Rx only DCS/tones programmed in. Called to spread the word to other locals & hrs later they were finding radios never powered up they had storied from years back, with the same thing.

Nefarious, no clue, but now everyone is double checking every unit.

Reactions: rlsmith1
I own a couple baofengs but Tx and Rx means nothing to me haha. Are you saying some frequencies don’t work or what should I look for?
Tx= Transmit
Rx= Receive
Any radio programed with a Rx freq only, and that freq requires a Rx DCS/Tone is beyond interesting. That type of programming is used so other people using that freq are never heard, unless they also TX the DCS or tone you have selected. It can also be used for other tasks.

We wiped all the radios clean, even the ones that appeared to be clean & made positively sure only those freqs we use, were what is programmed in them now. Of all the radios we have, over 75% were found with interesting programming. The same odd three freqs with DCS/Tones was in every radio that had programing in them, to include over 30 radios in factory sealed boxes/cases.