• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Radio/walkie talkies (Repost)

Awag1000

Interstellar Weapon Systems
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2020
Eastern South Carolina
I recently purchased a Beofeng R5-UV pro, because a friend suggested it was a good radio and had a good experience with them. I have no knowledge whatsoever about radios, just picked up the radio cause it was on sale for $20
Where is a good place to start to learn?

Oh boy.
Studying for the license would be a start.

It's really great guide to start with. I have been hunting with my friends in the woods for a long time, but only a couple of months ago we decided to buy walkie-talkies! As it turned out, this is really a very convenient thing, but before you buy a walkie-talkie, I advise everyone to read this guide https://www.walkie-talkie-guide.com/codes-for-walkie-talkies/. Unfortunately, at first, we did not read it and it was quite difficult for us to use the walkie-talkies. This guide is really very useful for any beginner who wants to buy a walkie-talkie for the first time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Awag1000
Start with better friends! You pretty much get what you pay for with radios.

As others said start with a license otherwise all you can do is listen. I passed my tech and general with nothing more than a free app on my iPhone to study. It not a hard test by any means but a little prep time is recommended. After that find a local repeater that you can hit with the limited range of your handheld radio that is active and has scheduled nets. Its a good way to get used to using it properly. Then you can look at other bands and the rigs / antennas to go with them for longer distance communication. The next step up in license is the General which opens up a lot of bands to you.

That radio will get you started in the Ham Radio adventure. I use them for short distance communication and they wok fine. Once you get to a point that you have your license and need something better all you need is $$. They are a little tricky to hand program so look into a programming cable that hooks up to your computer. Then find a local repeater and start listening to learn how folks are talking.

Last edited:
As others have said, get your HAM ticket. Those radios aren't the "No License Required" Motorolas you will find at Walmart. For that you will specifically want an FRS band radio, as the GMRS radios you find all over the place also technically require a license as well.

Whatever you do don't push the TX button without the consent of your overlords! There will be severe punishment if caught!
tenor (11).gif

What is a good option for a more durable handheld? Motorola or someone else? Don't want / need gps capability but linking up with a laptop would be nice. I know enough to know what I don't know here so any links to info would be great.

What is a good option for a more durable handheld? Motorola or someone else? Don't want / need gps capability but linking up with a laptop would be nice. I know enough to know what I don't know here so any links to info would be great.
I have a Yaesu FT-60R that works well and is quite durable. There are other Yaesu models that are generally well regarded and I hear a lot of good stuff about Kenwoods as well. The price on these is more but keep in mind that the radio is just one part of the puzzle. As you get into it you'll likely invest in extra batteries, 12V (car) chargers or power supply, programming cable / software, after market antenna, cable mic, etc. This stuff adds up and I chose to make that investment around a more solid radio platform. Some of my accessories will also work with other Yaesu models.

As you study toward your license you'll get more insight into what you may want in terms of band options and that will drive you decision. As other said - get your license as step one.

Nothing inherently wrong with the Baofeng - just not a platform around which I would invest as they have some shortcomings. Get started with it once you get your license. Find some local 2m or 70cm repeaters in your area. These are very common bands for repeaters and open to you with you technician license. Program it for those repeaters and use it a bit. This will give you a better idea of what you want and you can make a more informed investment.

Reactions: rlsmith1
I picked up a similar radio when I wanted to get into outdoor adventures. At first, I felt totally lost, but there are so many great resources out there. YouTube has tons of beginner videos that break down the basics, like how to program channels and use different features.