• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Rail Mounts and Rings

jmmpjm

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2009
What should I consider to determine the "MOA" of a rail mount and height of rings. Barrel is heavy contour and the bell of the scope is 40mm.

Thanks.

Re: Rail Mounts and Rings

Thanks, but I would like to know the difference between the various MOA's. Why 20 vs. 15 or 0?

Re: Rail Mounts and Rings

I'm not going to argue the benefits of a 20 MOA base over a 15 MOA base but there are definite benefits in going with a 20 versus 0 MOA base. For starters, some scopes simply don't have enough internal elevation to reach long distances when used in conjunction with a 0 MOA base. The 20 MOA base ensures that the scope has enough elevation to reach long range targets. In reality there is probably going to be a negilible difference between using a 15 or 20 MOA base, other than a few MOA gained or lost on the top end. 20 MOA bases are predominant because they are compatible with many of the common tactical scopes in use giving the shooter the ability to obtain a 100 yard zero and generally have enough elevation to reach beyond the effective range of the round he is shooting. This cannot always be guaranteed when using a 0 MOA base and 20 MOA bases are easy to find from a variety of manufacturers.

As for the rings, I'm guessing the scope has a 30mm tube, if so standard height/low (.823" or so) should work just fine.