Narwhal

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi,

I'm new to long range shooting so go easy
smile.gif

I just took my first precision rifle class, shooting out to 1000 yards and had reasonable success. I received a "qual" on the course of fire out to 600 on stationary targets and 1 mph movers.

Anyway, I didn't have a real shooting pack for the class and was just using an old leather soft briefcase for all my stuff. I'll never be LEO or military, I just shoot long range for sport although I might potentially do a match someday after a few more classes (and a lot more aerobic conditioning
smile.gif
)

I think I've decided on the Eberlestock LoDrag X3 lowdrag backpack in black. Is it OK to go with black just to keep it uniform with my other gear or is that an unwise choice? Also, do you know if this backpack can hold a 26.75" wide shooting mat? From the pictures it looks like the mat would have to stick out of the top, but I didn't see any dimensions.

On the topic of rain gear, my instructor in the class mentioned that a simple poncho wasn't adequate rain gear but didn't elaborate and I didn't get a chance to ask him to do so later. What other rain gear products should person taking a precision rifle course or shooting a match consider adding to their kit?

Thanks in advance. I currently shoot a 700P LTR in .308 if it matters.

Re: Rain gear and backpack question

Unless you are trying to blend in the color doesn't really matter. That said I prefer something light like FDE as black tends to be hotter in the sun. I use a TAB Gear shooting mat. Not much padding except where the elbows go and packs up super small. Off the top of my head that mat you want to use wouldn't leave much room for anything else.

Contact Ceylon here on the hide and he can hook you up. Has fantastic customer service to boot!

For rain gear I have a waterproof pant and jacket set. I suppose it depends on how dry you want to be.

tab gear mat -> triad tactical
eberlestock gunslinger 2 + rain cover -> ceylon

waterproof jacket with hood, waterproof over-trousers. hat.
ideally with 'humidity ports' under your armpits and the sides of the trousers.

I'll give you my opinion based on a few hundred nasty days in the back country, the same should hold for your classes...

Your instructor was correct, a poncho is adequate for summer showers only. When staying dry is critical to your well-being or comfort, you will need at least a rain jacket and pants, preferably gore-tex. All zippers and /or buttons should have a flap. All seams should be sealed. The jacket should have an integrated hood (non detachable).

As for you pack, go ahead and purchase the obligatory pack cover - they are great for covering your pack in camp or while resting. To keep your pack load dry while on the move, though, put everything on garbage bags or waterproof sacks.

TAB Gear Shooting mat is a must.

Frog Togs make a great top and bottom set of rain gear. They are affordable do a great job for what you are doing.

Rrain gear. Strongly recommend 5.11 Patrol Rain Pant and TacDry Rain Shell jacket.

Well constructed, durable and made for shooters. It will keep you dry. Light enough to be worn in the summer and easy to stow in your backpack.