• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

"Range Estimation" made easy.

Sumpter Steve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2006
Gresham, Oregon
Thanks to Impact Data Books and their new R.E.T.S. set. I went to the range to try this out and I was impressed by how well thought out and thorough this set is. I set my RETS board up at 52 yards and went back and gave it a try. I was very pleased with the results (see pics) although I admit that I need to spend a little more time ranging targets and a little less time pulling the trigger. Thanks Tony for another awesome product. You guys really do lead the way in Data Books. I urge you all to contact Tony at Impact Data Books and order this set. It's great for beginners who are learning range estimation and offers advanced shooters a great/easy way to practice this skill set. Steve. PS. Sorry for the crappy pics.
Best9.jpg

Best3.jpg

RETSSheet.jpg

Re: "Range Estimation" made easy.

Thank you for posting this. I've purchased the kit but have not used it yet. You just answered some questions I had about this system.

I have a 20" gong set at 350 yards. When friends come over to shoot for the first time, I always ask them how far they figure the gong is. Typically folks guess farther than it actually is. 500 yards is a common answer. I, like many folks, suck at guessing range. I ALWAYS laser my targets so I know. I carry a spare laser range finder in the jeep in case my user takes a dump.

It appears from the pics that range can be determined if you have a roughly known measurement such as a human torso to measure against some defined points on your reticles. Will this system help those that arent shooting at people or paper silhouettes?

My range guessing setup is a bit more involved. Thats a great 'should hit' format but I have additional columns. Under the estimated yardage I put the weapon's comeup to hit at the range guesstimated. Then after the shooter gets his hit, out past gernade range there is a bit of adjustment involved, I put the comeup that did hit or my best guess what the holdoff figured out in moa/mils depending on the shooter's scope adjustments in the second column.

Much later I go back and figure out what the mil reading should have been and put that in the second column. helps the shooter understand target angle and mirage affect.

The last column per target is for wind. Speed, value, windage on the gun and then what actually hit so I can go back and see what happened. (Helps me improve my wind guessing- that is at least as important as ranging the target.)

My range card has a strip along the bottom for this data so I have a better chance of remembering a particular unknown range if there are several a day and several days of them. It also allows me to hand the card to my partner/relief to speedup the new team prep.

Will this system help those that arent shooting at people or paper silhouettes? [/quote]

Yes. This system will work as long as you have a very close approximation of the target size (whatever it may be) and you mil it accurately.

Thanks for the updates Steve and Frank.

This is a much needed tool for anyone needing to learn this skill.

I am glad you guys like it and I hope it continues to help make things easier for you when training shooters.

I took a pick of the board I did but I cant get it to up load, but any way I did this as well. I have all 9 rets targets on a poster board. And also included a mil dot confidence target for calibration.

I wish someone had a card that has a bunch of known objects on it. I have pages and pages of things I measured like mailboxs, brick on the side of the house, wheel on trucks and cars, & basic shit like that for knowlege and it's such a pain to flip threw it all and I don't write very neat anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do they work in Australia</div></div>

Yes but you have to turn them upside down
wink.gif

Guys these work very well at learning how to break down the mil reticle. I have been using my own version for over 10 years and they really do help alot. Pick up a set and try them out.

The OP hit on a very good point. "more time ranging"

I purchased one of Vortex monoculars, 8X32 that has the mRad reticle in it. I'll go to a park with my kids, they'll play on the swingsets, and I (trying very very hard to *NOT* look like a perve, a spy or someone up to no good!) range various objects around. I create a range card on a notebook, do the math, see what the number is. Just for grins, get out my laser range finder, and compare.

It is amazing to me how even a couple tenths of a mil can throw off the calculated value of distance!

I've probably dragged my feet enough and need a RETS set too.

Nice post, thanks for the photos!!

-G45

Get out there and practice your ranging.

Its described nd made easy using the RETS system!!
smile.gif