• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range finder binos or dedicated range finder

BB KoncepZ

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
Alabama
Lookin at the vortex fury hd range finder binos 10x42 and a dedicated leica 3500 rangefinder. I already have viper hd binos.
both of the options im looking at will pair with my kestrel. Anybody have any experience with those or have anything you reccomend?

RF Binos are great. The Leicas have great glass and awesome lasers if you are OK with the price (or score a deal).

They are a little bit bulkier if you do tons of standalone glassing (eg hunting). So some may prefere separates to have each piece be lighter smaller. Eg a pair of SLC swaros and a Leica RF. However, others (eg precision shooters( will prefer lower total weight and less juggling of different items.

Some of this is budget, some is application driven, and some is personal preference depending.

Attachments

• 53BEE4F7-CC28-42E4-B31F-6F92661A3413.jpeg
    53BEE4F7-CC28-42E4-B31F-6F92661A3413.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 141
I find the Binos to be a lot easier to spot and laze your intended target, especially as you get further away or the target gets smaller. I have the entry level Leicas and think they are a pretty good value.

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
I’ve found binos and monoculars both have to be stabilized to get better readings at distance, that can be a tripod or leaning against a stationary object like a car, tree or large rock. If you are satisfied with the Viper HD glass you will be happy with the Fury’s as they provide similar performance. If you think you’ll be using the binos while trekking/hunting then why carry two sets that do the same thing. But if you don’t trek or hunt in wide open spaces the compact size of the Leica 3500.com may suit you better. I will say the Vortex glass gives off a blue haze while the Leica is more warm (and natural to my eyes).

Kestrel Link works great with Sig.
Glass is good and laser is fast and accurate.
Fury HD AB look great and are in the PX for $1200.
Sig new may. E found for around $800 as mentioned. Like everything, the $750 deal is gone from when I ordered mine. Now $900 at Guns2Ammo.

I don't see myself ever buying bino's again that don't have a rangefinder and ballistic solver on board.

I have a pair of the Japan made Viper HD's, and I've thought that they are pretty good bino's. For me, the blue tint that I've seen in the Fury's was bad. My eyes/brain couldn't get over it. I haven't looked through the newer 5000 HD's, so maybe those are much better than the other Fury's that I've looked through.

The sig 3000 BDX that I've seen were good for the price. This could just be the variance in samples, but I thought the Sigs were better than the Fury's.

For me, bino's are used enough for shooting, hunting, and just general use that I went with the Leica HD-B's. You can find used HD-B 2000's or 2200's in the mid teens, and they are worth the extra cost over the Fury's or the Sig's IMO.

If only the new Kahles LRF binos talked to kestrel.
If only the new Swarovski EL Range TA talked to Kestrel :LOL: Problem is, there are a lot of "if only" products out there that come close but don't quite cut it. For Kestrel the best bino is the Leica HD-B, the 3500.com has similar glass but lower mag, smaller objective and one eyepiece instead of two, if you'll be glassing for a long time the binocular is definitely easier on the eyes.

Unless you value weight much more than convenience, the combo is the better choice.

Best value are the Sigs which can be found in black for around $800. It will talk to the Kestrel EXCEPT the Hornady version. The ranging is spectacular, coming from a Leica mono owner, and the glass is good to very good.

IF you value clarity over ranging then Leica binos are the way to go. But the price is 3x+ the Sigs.

Just my opinion. I have Swaro CLs and a Leica 2700 RF. I ordered and waiting for the Sigs. 10+ days late via USPS. Lost in "tracking" since the 18th.

Unless you value weight much more than convenience, the combo is the better choice.

Best value are the Sigs which can be found in black for around $800. It will talk to the Kestrel EXCEPT the Hornady version. The ranging is spectacular, coming from a Leica mono owner, and the glass is good to very good.

IF you value clarity over ranging then Leica binos are the way to go. But the price is 3x+ the Sigs.

Just my opinion. I have Swaro CLs and a Leica 2700 RF. I ordered and waiting for the Sigs. 10+ days late via USPS. Lost in "tracking" since the 18th.

How much time you have behind the Sigs... are you talking about the 3000BDXs?

How much time you have behind the Sigs... are you talking about the 3000BDXs?
Yes, the BDX3000s and my time is limited to spotting a couple matches using a buddy's hence my "good to very good" rating on glass. My little Swaros are stunning and the Leica glass is as well. My buddy also has a pari of Leica non RF binos that he won't bring to a match due to "wear" concerns in that environment. He's completely satisfied w/ the Sig's glass. He also runs a Kahles scope so I trust his opinion on the Sig's glass. Once I get mine, I'll get some real time behind them and be better able to give an opinion on the glass. I can tell you the ranging speed and accuracy are amazing.

I’ll also be listing a pair of Leica Geovid HD-B 2200’s in great shape in a day or two, if you want higher-end glass. In-range RF accuracy matched the 3200.COM pair I upgraded to in a side-by-side test, and the glass is identical to my eyes.

My experience with the Sig LRFs is down to luck of a draw, once tested 4 units of the same model, and their ranging performance varied from excellent to a dud.
I do not feel lucky enough to go for Sig at any rate.

My experience with the Sig LRFs is down to luck of a draw, once tested 4 units of the same model, and their ranging performance varied from excellent to a dud.
That’s not the usual experience as you’ll read over and over again on here. Most everyone loves them and agrees on the quality of the glass. I will say, people’s experience varies exactly where on the circle reticle their particular pair marks the target with the laser. Mine it at 6 o’clock just inside the circle ⭕

That sounds like a problem but why wouldn’t you have just bought the best one you tested if it was excellent? I thought I had a shitty ranging one till I adjusted the binos to my eyes. I think the problem with most of the people bitching about the laze reference point is user error. Ahhh this now sounds like I’m personally attacking someone I’m not. when I fist thought there was a problem I believed I got a “dud” till I did a little messing around. now it’s good to go. For what you get out of the sigs the price is great compared to all other similar brands.

That sounds like a problem but why wouldn’t you have just bought the best one you tested if it was excellent? I thought I had a shitty ranging one till I adjusted the binos to my eyes. I think the problem with most of the people bitching about the laze reference point is user error. Ahhh this now sounds like I’m personally attacking someone I’m not. when I fist thought there was a problem I believed I got a “dud” till I did a little messing around. now it’s good to go. For what you get out of the sigs the price is great compared to all other similar brands.
I was testing well over a dozen different brand LRFs at practical-sized targets i think at cca 1000-1300y , not LRF binos and had a Kilo 2200 at the time as did a bunch of other guys on the range at the time so did test all of them of a tripod. Let's just say I was not too impresed with variation unit to unit. So bought a Terrapin X instead of searching for magical branded chinesium.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoCal247
I was testing well over a dozen different brand LRFs at practical-sized targets i think at cca 1000-1300y , not LRF binos and had a Kilo 2200 at the time as did a bunch of other guys on the range at the time so did a test all of them of a tripod. Let's just say I was not too impresed with variation unit to unit. So bought a Terrapin X instead of searching for magical branded chinesium.
Haha chinesium!! I am slowly starting to realize about that. The more I’m going down this rabbit hole of PRS. Thanks for the info.

Ive got a set of Sig BDX 3000's. Im pretty happy with em, will range houses out to at least 3000yds out here on ka sas prairie. Doesn't seem to want to laser cows much past 1500yds. Both longer distances than I shoot. Black pair and they ran about $850 a couple months ago, cheapest I could find.

I have and use both, but something to consider is that good binos are for life, and good rangefinders are good for a couple years until something smaller/lighter/more features/cheaper co along.

For hunting I vastly prefer separate units.

- my Swaro EL Ranges suck when cold, so they won’t range from my harness and have go inside my coat. I can stick a handheld in a pocket and be good.

- a small handheld is easier to use ICW a bow or with a rifle in hand and I don’t have to fidget with my harness.

- All the good integrated units top out at 10X so if I want 15xs on occasion on the plains I’m hauling binos anyways. I don’t want to always carry 2x sets of binos just because one has my LRF.

For static range shooting (which personally avoid if it’s cold)

- Integrated unit on a tripod makes life really easy

- Less stuff to pack

- Easier on the eyes for long periods, less swapping back and forth

Has anyone had blue tooth pairing issues at matches where other shooters are nearby with similar gear? If so, which models were you using?
hadn't used my bdx3000 since spring, they won't pair up now. Called sig and they're having me send them in. Hopefully they aren't cost effective to fix and instead give me credit towards the new 10K's :)

Depends on ur budget, I have the delta optical 9x45 hd. Good laser out little over 2k. Glass blows my mind. Almost alpha. Leaves the sigs and furry in the dust. Especially in res and low light. Very sharp.