• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report Range Report: HSM Ammo & Savage 110 .308

bsybouts

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
Monroe, WA
It was perfect weather this morning at the range, clear, no wind and started out at about 30 degrees. All groups are at 200yds from the bench using bipod and sandbags (old army socks w/dried beans).

Ammo fired was all HSM, measurements are center to center.

155gr A-Max, average = 2.125” (3 groups) The casings on these were tight trying to get out of the chamber as compared to the others.

168gr A-Max, average = 1.793” (5 groups)

HSM_168_A-Max.jpg

178gr A-Max, average = 1.392” (4 groups)

HSM_178_A-Max.jpg

190gr HPBT, average = 2.125” (6 groups)

HSM_190_HPBT.jpg

I'm not really sure as to what I should be expecting this rifle to shoot (group size), but there’s still some flavors of HSM and other loads, all off the shelf, I want to try. Advice & feedback is always appreciated.

Brad

Re: Range Report: HSM Ammo & Savage 110 .308

I didn't have good luck with the HSM, my 204 Ruger shot groups that size at 100y and on the same day during load work ups (I brought the HSM along as a starting point) the rifle shot .42" for 5 shots including the flyer that I pulled.

I'd say you have a very nice shooter there, and the 178 Amax load is dynamite. That's a .7 rifle with that load.

It's time to run it for the distance now to see how it holds up.

I really like the 178's in my 30-06, they shoot very well. I haven't shot a factory load with them before, handloads only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't have good luck with the HSM, my 204 Ruger shot groups that size at 100y and on the same day during load work ups (I brought the HSM along as a starting point) the rifle shot .42" for 5 shots including the flyer that I pulled.

I'd say you have a very nice shooter there, and the 178 Amax load is dynamite. That's a .7 rifle with that load.

It's time to run it for the distance now to see how it holds up.

I really like the 178's in my 30-06, they shoot very well. I haven't shot a factory load with them before, handloads only. </div></div>

I'm waiting on trying a few more loads before going further, one of which being the new Hornady 178's and a few more from HSM when they're in stock.

I'm think my 1st Gen 4x14 SA scope may be a hinderance as well given the lack of good focus...

Found that by bedding bolts worked loose sometime during the day of firing. I took it apart and looked for any damage and the reasembled and torqued to 65in/lbs.

Apparently the recoil lugs are questionable so I ordered a new one from SSS along with the tactical bolt handle and barrel wrench.