• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

range time tomarrow for msg90 a2 build

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
after all the hard work to get the scope properly alligned screws all torqued down rehead spaceing via repressing the barrel out and pressing and pinning it.

usine 80/90 gear oil now for a lube, also striped one hole in each arms ring so i got new rings every thing is on and tomarrow i will finnly get to drop some rounds with proper headspace...... ya its alot of work to go threw but remember i built this rifle from the ground up over 5 years, if i can shoot 5 round groups and have my rifle shoot MOA i would be happy as a clam.

i have the following loads ready to roll all are 5 rounds total per load using blc-2 and cci primers, the brass was all preped: flash holes deburred, primer pockets cleaned, necks champhered and deburred, every thing BUT trimmed because i dont have a trimmer, all lengths are 2.8 but the 110's

110 sierra hp 46.8
155 smk 45.2
155 smk 46.5
155 smk 43.7
168 hornady match bthp 42.7
168 hornady match bthp 42.0
175 smk 40.9
175 smk 39.0
175 smk 42.9
180 combined technology bst 41.0
190 smk 41.0
190 smk 41.5

will sight in with federal power shock and once i achieve zero will start the load testing a 1" black shoot and c dot on a white piece of printer paper at 100

will be recording the following data

wind speed
temp
humidity
# of rounds fired for the day
# of rounds total for my gun
distance
cold/warm bore

after all this work, lets cross our fingers i have a good feeling, oh and the headspace is at .016 its .001 off from "mean" so iam right where i need to be vs the .003 i was at befor which was .001 away from the vary bottm tollerance

if i could do it all over i would have bought a sako trg-22 alot less work to dial it in, how ever i love a challange, i will shoot moa with this msg90 lol but it may take time do dial her in.

thanks for reading, please post any thoughs or comments id love to hear from you all

black_ump

Re: range time tomarrow for msg90 a2 build

If you're talking about trimming the length of the cases, Lee makes an inexpensive tool http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=476992 and http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=271467 that I've been using for years. Can be obtained for most popular calibers. As far as for your load development shooting, use a solid sandbagged rest front and rear. Bipods are field expediant rests and most experianced shooters can group very well off of them. However, to eliminate as much shooter error as possible, leave the bipod for later, after the load development work is done. There is a very good reason why the benchrest crowd use those heavy, sandbagged rests. Before you start firing any live ammo, get into a solid shooting position, establish a natural point of aim, and then practice dry firing. If you see the crosshairs move when the gun "fires", figure out what you're doing wrong and correct it. Once you're satisfied that you're doing the fundamentals correctly, then start shooting for groups. Good luck.