Range toy: MP5 vs M16 (transferable)

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
I'm looking at doing something in the next 24 hours, so I will need some quick advice!

I had decided to purchase a transferable M16A1, and am about to pull the trigger. I stopped by a pre showing at a local auction that has both a Colt M16A1 and a S&H converted MP5 (sear gun HK94 conversion.) The MP5 really caught my eye and I am now curious if it deserves a second look.

Now, I have been doing a bit of research. I understand and can appreciate that PD and MIL are going to MK18 size M4's for the reason that it is a rifle round and capable of penetrating body armor. I am not so much concerned about this. I am more looking for the best toy for the money.

The big appeal to the M16 platform is that there are a ton of modern AR-15 parts available for it. I was planning on purchasing a piston 10" upper, a .300 BLK upper, and a .22 upper, as well as maybe a 9mm upper.

The MP5 is a registered sear gun so the sear could still transfer to an HK91 ETC, but still less versatile than the AR platform. I understand .22 kits are availabe but they may not run and can be quite pricey.

The main draw for me is that the Mp5 runs smooth (from what I have read) in full auto, and can be controlled in full auto. I have never fired either, so I can't say. I understand that M16's tactically generally are kept in semi auto, and full auto is only used for suppression. I don't need to provide suppressive fire, and in semi auto I have other fun 5.56 toys.

So, full auto to full auto, range toy to range toy, which will provide the most enjoyment to me?

Thanks,

-Bob

Re: Range toy: MP5 vs M16 (transferable)

M16, I have seen numerous pre 86 kit gun MP5s run less than reliable and have some serious problems, being that the M16 lower is the registered part, if you wear out a GI Auto sear you can just replace it. Since the HK has the sear as a registered part, you can't just replace it.

I have owned an MP5 sear gun and a PDW sear gun. They are very controllable and smooth. Sold off the MP5's and kept the 16 though. If you go that route, I'd get a PDW. They are a lot more fun. Now if you really want a kick in the ass, get a micro UZI with a closed bolt. Scary.

Parts are expensive with the HK and not as readily avaiable. Barrels are a PIA to change.
If you want a 9mm get an upper for your 16.

No brainer for me.
BTDT.

hope this helps,
Bill

I've seen a number of broken trigger pins in 9mm M-16's. If you shoot 9mm in your 16, get the bolt ramped and use K&N Pins. If you break a pin, it can get ugly.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Ive shot both. The Mp5 is fun for about 2 mags and then it turns into more of the same. The M16 is much more fun to shoot and there are many more options for uppers. The 223 never gets old on full auto.

I was issues MP5 in military and I loved in for bolt lock feature when using can.
It was also very smooth, but our previous cqb weapon was a mac10, so compared to that anything is better:(
The weapon was easy to conceal, clean and mostly reliable except with 147 loads.
M16 was also issue weapon though I had CAR15 which was short barrel version of M16.
If I could have ONE of those today, I would choose the MP5.
For me its nostalgia. A piece of history. A weapon for entry like no other.
For practical reasons, its cheap to shoot, you can still get 32 round mags and running one whether in harms way or just for fun is a real freakin kick.

thats my .02

Bob, you hit the nail on the head!

But to be fair to the HK sear, it can be turned into this:

HK23EK2.jpg

HK23EK. 1 gun, 2 calibers. .308 and 223 beltfed! The Shrike can only dream of being this badass!

A couple years ago the transferable M16 had more options than the HKs running with sears and one could mount optics a lot easier on the M16. However, now days with the high end clones from Mike, Jeff and Joe I really think the HK sear has more options, between the MM23eK (I dumped my Shrike and kept the MM23eK), the HK53 I prefer over a sub ten inch barreled M16, the HK33K is smoother on full for me than the shorty carbine M16s, the new 7.62x39 drum cut HK clones from Jeff are an interesting option with mags vs an M16 running 7.62x39, have to grant the M16 with a M4 barrel is not bad, my favorite M16 setup being the 20" HBAR with an Aimpoint ... has not been out since the Shrike and MM23eK showed up, lastly there is no real option for a 308 M16 but one can get an HK91 (needs a muzzle brake), MM11 or the 308 kit for the MM23e. Optics are getting easier to mount on the HK clones, now that they come with rails.

For 9mm there is no comparison, none of the dozen plus guys in the area still shoot there M16 9mm after getting a MP5 ....

Check out 556 Belt Fed dot Com(the old guy shooting is me) for a couple more photos and videos of the MM23eK and MM53.

All that said, have both and they have there place but the son (part owner in the LLC) likes the MP5 (HK sear) a little better than the M16, but the last to go is the Thompson ;-).

mm23ek_lf.jpg

A copy of my post from last month on Subguns and HKPro (played well there - go figure ;-)

------

<span style="font-weight: bold">Sear Based HKs and Clones vs the Rest of the Full Auto World</span>

While I like the original classic machine guns and would hate to be with out a Thompson and wish I had not passed on the $3500 BAR and M60 (years ago), the individual cost of a nice classic machine gun can limit the rate at which you acquire them, in part depending when you got them and the size of the toy budget (bellow $100 per week now days one has to wait a while to get a nice Bren, however, as one nears a toy budget of a $500+ per week, you fairly quickly past looking for shooters and tend to be upgrading a focused collection ;-). Thus for the younger shooters (i.e. someone that could not in the old days Form 1 machine guns with out there father ;-), who are not primarily into the history yet (this grows on you), are more a shooter than a collector and are still filling in the gaps for something to shoot, the systems guns tend to give a lot more shooting options for the same dollar spent, once the primary sear or receiver is purchased and thus are a nature starting point.

Historically the three common system guns were the M16 (and DIAS), HK Sears (or trigger pack Shattered ;-) and the Uzi (which I am excluding from further discussion as is in pistol rounds only). Over the last few years with the various new clones and clone refurbs of factory rifles by Jeff, Mike and others, the line up of options to run your HK sear (or trigger pack) in has grown to the point that for a shooter who does not need to match just the configurations made by HK, the HK sear and hosts have equaled and are surpassing the options for the M16. The three areas where the M16 has advantages are being narrowed each year. Now days one can now get optic rails on your HK clone to mount optics nearly as well as a M16, the cost of a nice upper for your M16 is only a little less than half an interesting clone and now days it is not that hard or expensive to get a barrel changed on the HKs (ok is slower than a M16 and does cost me a couple six packs of good beer extra ;-).

An advantage of the HK Sear and of course the DLO trigger pack, is one is not hammering on a $12K piece of aluminum which is an M16 (which I think of every few years when the 9mm upper comes out and which my Shrike kept trying to do and is now gone as it would not play nice). I became less worried about sear breaking when one was hammered / blown out the bottom of the trigger pack on a poorly running 21 years ago with bad but low cost ammo (note some of the old 21's were setup bad ... but that is another story) ... with no damage to the sear (trigger pack was toast but could have been rewelded easily enough). That is not to say that an even larger piece of forged steel receiver is not "more" better, just that pricing precludes one having a Thomson, BAR, Bren and 1919A4 at the same price as a sear and several clone hosts any more (did pass up on the BAR and M60 for four grand each back a "few" years ago, but I already said that).

Following is a few note on trying to stretch the HK clones to fit an ever wider range of areas, more or less, at least for us mortals can purchase only "available" transferable (i.e. excluding some of my favorites such as the M240 and M249).

Heavy Machine Gun:
Will start with the one class where have not seen any activity on a sear host for a water cooled 30 cal or 50 cal belt fed machine gun and maybe this is for the best (sure someone will post a home built water cooled gun ;-)

Medium Machine Gun
The HK21e on a tripod (I have not seen a good adapter and setup yet on the market for the "e" version, but they are being worked on) could be considered for an entry level medium machine gun or more accurately a "light" GPMG (if such a thing existed). I would rather hammer a 40,000 rounds through a pair of Browning (in particular posties ;-) in a weekend if only due to the lower cost of surplus barrels, parts and lower cost corrosive ammo (8mm in the old days and 7.62x54R). Of course there are various other "better", heavier MMGs or GPMGs with more history but a higher price than the HK21e, assuming you already have the sear.

Light Machine Gun
The HK11 tends to allow one to play with a classic light machine gun "like" configuration and the HK21e is light enough to actually fit into the LMG area, but with a belt. Now If it was Christmas I would prefer a nice Bren or even a BAR FND under the tree but has not happened recently, maybe should not have had fresh roasted reindeer that one Christmas morning.....

The HK23e clone put out by Mike, brings down the price of a SAW like weapon, compared to the original HK23e or the half dozen preSAWs in the pool. Plus one has the option of changing calibers on the MM23e. In comparison to the HK23e the Shrike on the M16 is lighter and an interesting addition for off hand work, however, due the large beaten zone I went with the MM23eK, plus my distrust of having the rear of my aluminum receiver bumped. The 223 M16 Light Machine upper (or the poor man's version with the HBAR flat top upper) can be countered by the HK13 or MM13K options.

MBR
The HK91 as a sear host is a first pass equal to the G3 and from my experience a nicer shooter than the M14 (long gone). While like the full auto FAL's, in particular the heavy barrel option, are nice shooters, I found the G3 with a good muzzle brake was similar to the FAL w/o a muzzle brake. No real option now days for a 308 M16 or using a DIAS. The area of supper compact MBRs (i.e. HK51 and the 51K) appear to be primarily an HK occurrence.

7.62x39 Assault Rifle
The AK47 is a classic and for a complete historical collection a must have, however, for a shooter the various drum cut PTR32 rebuilds or "scratch builds" by Jeff are doing well for friends. The 7.62x39 uppers for the M16 worked well except for the limited options for mags, thus leaving the DIAS with a 7.62x39 AR15 lower using AK mags as the "other" option. Some the shortest version of the PTR32 rebuilds or "scratch build" Dragon by Jeff look like they may be as interesting shooters as a Krink (which still has the history going for it, but this is a shooters point of view discussion).

223 Assault Rifle
The M16 is the classic and again a must have for a complete historical collection, however, an HK33 does fine and with a rail has a fair amount of optics choice, possible in a heavier package.

223 Assault Carbine.
The M16 carbine is the classic configuration for many fellow shooters, however, I find the HK 33K to be smoother firing on full (but again maybe heavier, depending on how much you have mounted on the CAR16). Once one gets much below a 9" barrel length the HK53 shoots much nicer than the various sub carbine size M16s that I have used, plus the stock goes shorter on the HK's. The reports in on the baby Dragon (53K) are interesting and start to make one consider a Dragon for an ad hoc replacement for a more modern PDW (which can not be purchased by us mortals).

45 ACP Subguns
A few 45 HK hosts have existed on and off, however, one has to have a reason to own a Thomson or two ;-) Other option could be an Uzi in 45 or a MAC10 with accessories.

9mm Subguns
The MP5 is a classic and must have for any complete collection. The only other common close bolt 9mm sub gun is the M16 in 9mm with the issues of being hard on hammer pins, mag issues (they self unload and a pain to load with out speed strips) and in general the M16 9mm is choppier than a MP5. The various open bolt subguns, such as the Uzi and Sterling, are nice additions to the MP5 but not really replacements for it. Again there is a whole world of historical 9mm subguns to choose from as one grows the collection, many of which start with MP....

9mm Compact Subguns
The MP5K-PDW makes a nice compact subgun that can fill in for a full size sub gun nicely. While we regularly shoot the MP5K-PDW at 100 to 135 yards, after a few mags with a stock MAC10, one tends to loss interest. The mini Uzi is another option, but one that was never as familiar with as the MP5K-PDW.

Machine Pistols
The MP5K is at the upper end or past the machine pistol range, with the most common sub gun that best fits being the older MAC11 in 380 and maybe a micro Uzi.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">confused? </div></div>
Maybe I am a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">little</span></span> long winded ;-)
Bottom line, either the M16 or HK sear makes a great range toy. The bright spots for the HK sear are the MP5 family, HK53 and the belt fed 223 and 308 option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. What's this about 9mm m16 uppers wearing on trigger pins and holes? </div></div>
With a ramped bolt they work pretty good, but the mags are marginal and the gun is not as smooth as the MP5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">confused? </div></div>You, or me? I walked in with a plan, but the mp5 really felt nice in my hands...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[/quote]<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Tom Olson said:
confused? </div></div>You, or me? I walked in with a plan, but the mp5 really felt nice in my hands... </div></div>
Then go with the HK sear gun. S&H made quality conversions.

OK guys, an update!

I went to the auction. The MP5 went up first, estimated bid range $12,500-$17,500. Sold for $22,000, plus 15% buyers fee, plus 5% tax if I had bought it because I am a Maine resident. So it would have cost me $26,400. I would have gone as high as $17,500, but I was way off!

Next was an unfired M16A1 carbine. Estimated bid price $12,000-$17,000. Sold for $19,500 before fees, so $23,400 in reality.

Last item I stayed for was a beat to hell Sendra lower with half the parts missing. Sold for $10,000 and $12,000 was more than I was willing to spend.

So this afternoon I bought a M16A1 from Tom Olson here on the hide. I probably will also have an MP5 in the future, as I would have also bought a m16 had I bought the MP5 first.

Thanks again for all the input guys! If you want to take a look at the items I was bidding on, go to www.jamesjulia.com, the items I mentioned were 1019, 1020, and 1022.

-Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys, an update!

I went to the auction. The MP5 went up first, estimated bid range $12,500-$17,500. Sold for $22,000, plus 15% buyers fee, plus 5% tax if I had bought it because I am a Maine resident. So it would have cost me $26,400. I would have gone as high as $17,500, but I was way off!

Next was an unfired M16A1 carbine. Estimated bid price $12,000-$17,000. Sold for $19,500 before fees, so $23,400 in reality.

Last item I stayed for was a beat to hell Sendra lower with half the parts missing. Sold for $10,000 and $12,000 was more than I was willing to spend.

So this afternoon I bought a M16A1 from Tom Olson here on the hide. I probably will also have an MP5 in the future, as I would have also bought a m16 had I bought the MP5 first.

Thanks again for all the input guys! If you want to take a look at the items I was bidding on, go to www.jamesjulia.com, the items I mentioned were 1019, 1020, and 1022.

-Bob

</div></div>
Those prices are crazy, people sometimes get carried away at auctions.

Man I can only dream of getting me one of these range toys. Personally I would opt for the MP5 just because it has a special place in my heart ever since I watched that Documentary called "Die Hard".

For now it will be Slide Fire baby!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTinIN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would a "reasonable" price be on a HK SBR MP5 and sear? </div></div>I think they can be found in the $18,000 range, yes?