Ranging with thermal weapon sight at night

Yes, it is possible to co-witness a WMLRF to a thermal scope - I've done it often. I used a tripod and locked in the thermal scope aimed at the center of a smallish man made object at 400-ish yards (use further away if you can) and then carefully adjusted the elevation and windage knobs of the WMLRF while checking to make sure the weapon/scope weren't moving.
I used a second rifle with a NV clipon to observe the co-witnessing laser on the WMLRF (often I could get close with a pvs-14 on my head and then just use the second rifle/tripod with nv clipon for fine tuning).
After I thought I had it I would test ranging known distance targets to be sure. Rarely I would have to repeat the process to make it better.

I used this mk18ish a lot as a spotter for a 300WM with a 5-25x scope and a UTC-x clipon. So the spotter was responsible for determining the distance and doing the ballistics for the shooter (often me doing spotter role for a buddy - teaching us to team shoot). But it worked !
I could see the bullet flying thru the air - the splash of dirt from a miss (we were shooting only at night) and the splash of the bullet fragmenting on the steel - and I could range all the targets from different positions etc.

45123566074_ddf690d0c3_k.jpg