• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rate my Reloads.

rrflyer

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2008
DFW, TX
Finally got to shoot over a chrono a few days ago.

Shot 20 rounds through the chrono and heres what I came up with.
45gns varget, 175SMK, FGMM Primers, out of a 26" remington barrel.
About 103 degrees outside, no wind, 650ft elevation

Lowest Velocity -- 2680.3
Highest Velocity -- 2710.4
AVERAGE = 2700 FPS
ES = 30.1
SD = 10.4

I'm still fairly new to rifle reloading so is there anything that jumps out from these numbers as out of the ordinary or unacceptable?

Re: Rate my Reloads.

I agree, too much ES. Drop the charge .3 or .4 grains, and see what happens. If you can stay around 2650fps, and tighten up your ES, you'll be in good shape.

Trim your brass, uniform your primer pockets. Toss the brass that has loose primer pockets. Use only one brand of brass. Hope it helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tarzan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">too much es but shoot on paper dont know i a $100 dollar product will measure that close the target dont lie </div></div>

John, try it again in the morning. I can only imagine your hangover.

I think its probably loading equipment thats causing the big ES. Brass is all Lapua and mostly with one reload on it.

All I have is a lee powder measure and a cheapo digital scale. Hoping a new scale will give me a more exact measurement. I'll try dropping a few tenths when I get a better setup and hopefully that close up that ES

Loads have held sub .5inch groups at 100 yards but haven't had a chance to stretch it out much longer than 200.

Your numbers look good to me but I don't use Varget. Most of my loads are around 9 for SD and shoot less than .6 @ 100 yds and generally shoot around 7" @ 1000 with me yanking the trigger. I think you really need to chronograph and group at the same time. I was in a hurry before work and I just chronographed a load. 10 rds ES of 3 !!!!! When I loaded some more and grouped them they shot about 1 1/4 ". I have shot several loads with around 14 SD that shot quite well. You can go crazy trying to get really low es and sd and not be assured a really accurate load out of your rifle.

david

Do a little research and you'll find that ES does not mean jack shit.

Lindy put a link to a KICK ASS article about the statistically significance of the various numbers that will tell you a helluva lot more about interpreting your results than the ramblings of a bunch of internet cowboys
smile.gif

http://www.shootersjournal.com./Features/Haps/EnglemanChronographStatistics.pdf

If it's a stock remmy rifle your OAL to the lands will be something like 2.96.... You will NEVER be able to mag feed from a stock rifle and touch/kiss lands...lol

Luckily the bullet you are shooting tolerates jump quite well.

I would load up some ammo about .3grs either side of your current load & see what happens when you chrono them. Your numbers may shrink... they may not.

Let the target talk to you. If it shoots it shoots.

ES & SD numbers are a guideline to be used in conjunction with target results. That being said, just because it will group well at 100 & 200 does not mean it will perform similarly at distance....

Shoot it at each distance as far out at you can... take these results and plug them into the overall equation... This should help you decide on your load...

-Wil