• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rayners February 2012 Long range rifle match resul

Topstrap

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2009
East side of Ohio
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Some shooters shot on Saturday in very high winds and on Sunday the winds weren't quite as high but would drop or change directions 5 or 6 moa between shots so I guess it probably equaled out.</span>

Congratulations to Jim Ashcraft for his win shooting a 330 in tough conditions. Also wanted to say "Great Job" to my son Chris for his first match with a new 260 Savage rifle we put together over the winter and a 3rd place shooting a 310. He's been shooting one of our long range pistols for the past two years and doing quite well and this move to a long gun worked out well for him. A close friend bought a new Savage LRP 260 over the winter and has been shooting an Encore in 260, his first time out with the new gun netted him a 295 which is over 100 points higher than any of his previous scores. Congratulations Dave. Don't let the low cost of those Savages fool ya, they are shooters. Another great score was shot by Randy Roblin with a 140 with Metallic sights. A lot harder than most think. Don't let the lower than normal scores fool you, it was tough and Rayners is a very challenging match but a great bunch or shooters to enjoy the day with.

I wanted to clarify a target I hit but am not taking credit for. I had a terrible day with the pistol and couldn't hit any of the close targets but was mowing them far away.... go figure. At the 700 yard line we have a 15" circle and a cigarette pack size target. Based on a wind call from the previous shooter and the wild winds I was holding just off the right edge of the cigarette pack target hoping to hit the big circle. Wind shifted and dead centered the little one, figured what the heck and said same one and just missed 1/2" right then placed another on top of the first shot. Was a Jedi for a bit but the first shot was a bad shot and I had Tom remove that from my score. The other hit was called. Just wanted to clarify that in public and not get everyone thinking I was becoming a Jedi. I've shot way higher scores but even when it's a bad day I can't take credit for a hit I didn't call. It's about having fun and learning.

Now on to the scores which were much lower than normal due to rough conditions but made it challenging and frustrating. Hard to learn anything when it's changing in between shots.

Feb. 25-26. 2012 Long Range Match

O = Optic rifle H = Handgun M = Metallic rifle

Jim Ashcraft(300 NM Imp) O 330
Joe Wesley(6.5-284) O 320
Chris Kirkpatrick(260) O 310
Dave Callipare(260) O 295
Larry Skivolocke(?) O 295
Dan Wolfe(260) O 270
Jim Elk(6BR) O 265
Dave Arbenz(260) O 255
Bob Fellows(6BR) O 255
Zac Coffing(338) O 235
Ben Pieper(6BR) O 235
Ed Gudgel(6BR) O 230
Jim Lochary(?) O 230
Andy Patterson(338) O 230
Tom Rayner(7MM) O 225
Jim Bragg(6.5XT) O 220
Carl Jooss(243) O 220
Kurt Laughton(308) O 220
Brian White(6.5CR) O 215
Craig Wickham(6.5CR) O 215
Brenda Wolfe(308) O 210
Dale Taylor(260) O 205
Hollie Michael(6XC) O 200
Dave Ostrowske(308) O 200
Merritt Roseberry(7-08) O 200
Mike Scott(?) O 200
Dan Wolfe(300) O 200
Aaron Addy(?) O 195
Josey Rayner(280) O 195
Todd Thompson(6MM) O 195
Don Grigsby(6MMAI) O 190
Ken Deisch(243AI) O 180
Dennis Kirkpatrick(260) H 180
Lawrence Leaman(250SAV) O 180
Chris Michael(308) O 175
Tom West(243) O 175
Rick Geraci(243AI) O 170
Charlie Miller(308) O 170
Jeff Raymond(338) O 170
Mike Cooper(308) O 165
Cris Rensi(308) O 165
Todd Smith(6BR) O 155
Walter Axtell(308) O 150
Mike Hess(7MM-08) O 150
Dave Miller(308) O 150
Doug Dearinger(308) O 140
Randy Roblin(308) M 140
Jan Collins(?) O 130
Jesse Rayner(308) O 130
Stephen Roach(308) O 110
Troy Crawford(7MM) O 100
Terry Vineyard(22-250) O 95
Jason Barfield(308) O 80
Alex Nethers(308) O 75
Carl Busse(223) O 70
Becca Vineyard(243) O 65

Re: Rayners February 2012 Long range rifle match resul

I promise you the winds changed just as much if not more on sat. We had 25mph gusts all day sat. I don't think evening out is an accurate statement. But to each his own.

As always a great place to shoot with great people.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I promise you the winds changed just as much if not more on sat. We had 25mph gusts all day sat. I don't think evening out is an accurate statement. But to each his own.

As always a great place to shoot with great people.

Good luck,
Merritt </div></div>

Merritt, did you get rid of the 7-08??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My rig is a serious wind cheater.</div></div>

Low blow Jim..... I see how it is. I still have my 7-08 and it does very well for a short action non barrel burner but it's still a short action non mag. :p. Just making the statement that you can't compare days unless you shot both days. So I guess Wolfe since he shot a different rifle each day is the only person that can attest to the wind on both days.

Good luck,
Merritt

I'll amend my first post since I wasn't there on Saturday. The 308 shooter beside me only had 2 1/2 mil in at 1000 and I had almost 7 moa then it'd drop to 0 or reverse directions so it might of been pretty calm for us. Not steady gusts but just changing conditions. I apologize for trying to compare weather conditions and didn't mean to compare weather to scores. Sorry if anyone felt that way.

It's hard to keep an even playing field shooting on two days but there has also been matches that Saturday shooters got lucky and the Sunday group suffered. Hopefully next month will be beautiful with temps in the 60's, dry grass, zero wind and slightly overcast skies so the targets show up and lots of Raspberry pie for desert.

Topstrap

Tropstrap,

No harm no foul, its not a big deal and its not like we are shooting for money. Honestly I'd rather train in extreme weather so when it counts it won't matter what the weather conditions are doing.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skivy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i hope every one is happy now </div></div>

I know I am
grin.gif

The results should help sell my rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skivy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i hope every one is happy now </div></div>

I know I am
grin.gif

The results should help sell my rifle. </div></div>

Now Jim. You know full well you won't sell that ugly ass rifle after shooting that well.
grin.gif
j/k on the ugly part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skivy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i hope every one is happy now </div></div>

I know I am
grin.gif

The results should help sell my rifle. </div></div>

Now Jim. You know full well you won't sell that ugly ass rifle after shooting that well.
grin.gif
j/k on the ugly part. </div></div>

Jim can now honestly say he whooped us all with the ugly stick :-D.... Just paying you back Jim for your low blow :-D

Good luck on selling your rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now Jim. You know full well you won't sell that ugly ass rifle after shooting that well.
grin.gif
j/k on the ugly part. </div></div>

Jim can now honestly say he whooped us all with the ugly stick :-D.... Just paying you back Jim for your low blow :-D

Good luck on selling your rig. </div></div>

I've yet to show this to ANYBODY that has been impressed with the builders quality so, you're not going to hurt my feelings. Most people think the builder should have bought me a new stock and refunded the build cost. I can't wait to show it off to all the tactical shooters at TVP!