• CONTEST: Back to school!

Join the contest below and share a picture of your kid or college student out at the range, cleaning their rifle, or shooting at a target!

Join contest
  • Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support

rcbs case trimmer issues

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
Alright,I have been having issues trimming cases with my rcbs manual case trimmer where the pilot starts to build up brass on the outside of it and tear up the inside of the case neck badly.its a new rcbs case trimmer I received from a friend of mine who bought it but only used it a couple times till he had to get rid of itcause of his wifey.I hooked my drill to the shaft and spin it at its slowest speed about 300 rpm only takes a second to trim but after about 20 or so cases the pilot build up brass on it and starts to tear up the inside of the car neck.its always at the base of the pilot where the brass build up.I also tried polishing the pilot but it still picks up brass.I also ram the trimmer with no pilot and it worked great no bullet runout but I assume this itsnot a good idea any help or ideas would be appreciated.thanks

Re: rcbs case trimmer issues

Have you sized your brass first? Fired brass doesn't trim very well.
If you have, I'd try a ss or bronze brush to clean the cutter after a few cases.
Might be worth a try.
I use a tooth brush after every case when I primer pocket uniform on my trim mate to remove buildup.

I don't trim until I've sized all my brass. That way any case length growth caused by the sizing process get's trimmed.

I lube the inside of my case necks with a dry lube, ground mica, using a Forster "Graphiter" before sizing. This leaves enough lube to keep the pilot from galling the inside of he case. A touch of "anti-sieze" can be used as well. Usually a small amount applied to the pilot then almost completely wiped off will stop this for 20-30 cases. Some of the "Loctite Silver Anti-seize" is great for that. Also works great on the rear of the locking lugs of a Brand New Rifle. Keeps the lugs from galling the lock surfaces of the receiver and the bolt action will remain smooth for it's entire life.

It doesn't take much of the anti-seize as once it starts working in, it actually tends to "plate" the sliding surfaces with an "anti-welding" agent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbird1960</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a RCBS trimmer and never had that problem. I would give RCBS a call and ask them. They may send you a new cutter, they guarantee their products. </div></div>

It's not a cutter issue. It's an issue of the pilot being turned too fast and it's galling the case surface. Some lube, just like when neck turning will make it all go away, providing the pilot is cleaned off first.

Without getting too detailed, you can minimize buildup by increasing the cutting feedrate (how hard you push the case into the cutter) and increasing the cutting speed (rpm)of the drill. The increased rpm will also help in throwing off the chips so they wont get caught in the flute. Run fast a push harder, you want bigger chips. You are actually cutting too slow and may not be feeding past the edge of the flute. Or you have a dull end mill. Or the rake angle is not right, or you have a dull end mill. Get a new mill if the prior doesn't help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the pilot is rough, chuck it into a drill bit and polish it with 1000 grit or higher sandpaper. </div></div>
If you do that just make sure u don't take too much off. Better to use scotch brite, but only for a few rotations depending on how bad the pilot is. Won't be much of a pilot if you get carried away with it, doesn't have to be super smooth, just free of foreign material or buildup.

20121031_223735.jpg

So i modified the trimmer pilot to turn down a slight groove on the shaft. The set screw that holds the pilot in i then turned that to a slight point and polished it. This will then allow the pilot to stay in the cutter head but no longer spin with the cutter head it will just rotate around that groove and set screw(i hope/think)therefore hopefully eliminating any possibility of galling.