• CONTEST: Back to school!

Join the contest below and share a picture of your kid or college student out at the range, cleaning their rifle, or shooting at a target!

Join contest
  • Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support

RCBS Competition dies

Re: RCBS Competition dies

If you get the RCBS you are bound to THEIR brand of bushings. Redding, Hornady, L.E.Wilson and a few others use the same outside dimension bushings.

I prefer the Redding full length "S" sizer myself. You can neck only size with a full length die. But you CAN'T full length size on a neck only die.

Good luck with your choices.

The new ones I just bought use the same bushings everyone else uses.

Their bullet seater is really cool and handy and I like it a lot.

I have Redding and RCBS bushing comp die sets and I will just buy whatever one is cheapest, as I don't feel there is much difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redding comp s bushing man myself. Merry Christmas Keith!
</div></div>

Thanks Kim. I'be got a $100 gift certificate to Cables but they don't carry the type S. That's what I was planning on buying.

I had them for my 22-250. I thought they were great dies. Never had an issue with them and they had nice tolerence. Checked them on a runnout and they did really well. I don't remember what the runout was, but I remember that it was minimal. I got rid of the gun, and the dies with it. I really liked the loading window....alot! Made things really easy. Infact, I was thinking about getting them for my 223 just because of the loading window. I give them 2 thumbs up. Plus, not a bad price. Good luck.

Love the seating dies, but I use Lee Collets for most of my neck sizing now. No lube required and groups have been freakygood (its a real word...look it up!
grin.gif
).

Thank goodness, it's getting really hard to buy junk reloading equipment, so likely you'll be happy with whatever your choice is. Merry Christmas!

Understand when folks say, "I got thus and so using this and that" it doesn't mean you can duplicate it. It is possible that any single die set may have the tolerances stack so it can do as well as a more costly or better designed set but that's not common. If the goal is to load the highest average quality rifle ammo possible with an average two die set we have two valid choices; Forster and Redding.

If we want a neck die that works as good as possible for factory chambers and do it with minimal fuss, we have one choice; Lee's collet neck die.

If you want maximum flexibility for your dies get anyone's body die, a Lee neck die and a Forster or Redding seater.

No seater can do much good if the case necks aren't sized straight. Find where run-out comes into your process; cases, dies or work methods. Only a precision tilt gage cage can help with that. Get a (Sinclair) concentricity gage and learn how to use it on sized/expanded case necks and loaded rounds, that will likely do you more good than a simple die up-grade.

If you progressive load or plan to in the future, do not get the RCBS.

Otherwise, the bullet seating window is very nice to have when using a single stage press.

I love mine and haven't had a problem with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stungib</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you progressive load or plan to in the future, do not get the RCBS.

Otherwise, the bullet seating window is very nice to have when using a single stage press.

I love mine and haven't had a problem with it. </div></div>

+1 on the above - mine have worked great for the 308. Once I got used to lifting the ram and not dropping the f'ng bullet through the window and down to the deck!
mad.gif

new to reloading and I want to make sure I get this right.... I have the Competition Dies (.308) and I'm confused is the Bullet Seating die the final step or do I need another die to crimp the bullet in place. I've been told 2 different answers that are in conflict.

It was my understanding that the bullet seating die was the last step.

Single Stage, RCBS press... if it matters.

"It was my understanding that the bullet seating die was the last step."

If you're going to crimp in a seperate step do it after seating, not before. ??

I find crimping required when running compressed loads. I have issues where the powder will actually start to push the bullet up over time. I am running safe loads with no pressure signs it's just the nature of the beast when your run H4350 in a 7mm-08. So I crimp. I'm looking at the Redding seating dies because they have a built in crimper on the seating die.

Good luck,
Merritt

For what its worth, I have a set of RCBS competition 308 dies. I used them for years, my biggest complaint out of them was they wouldnt hold a tolerance for seating more than .01 vary from bullet to bullet. I would have to dial back for each one because one may be very short the next long, long wasnt as big of a deal as short is then its just a pain to pull and reseat. It wasnt uncommon for me to seat each bullet 3-4 times. I switched to Redding type S dies and now dont have a problem holding a .001 tolerance. Dont take this the wrong way as Im not bashing RCBS, this may have been a bad set of dies and maybe its not the norm. I just decided to switch and have been extremely happy since I did.

" (RCBS Comp dies) wouldnt hold a tolerance for seating more than .01 vary from bullet to bullet."

I'm no fan of those dies but it would seem impossible for them to vary as much as 10 thou on seating depth, at least not due to the dies. ??

My .308 RCBS Competition seater is the same way. I'll seat a bullet a hair long and fine tune it with the micrometer until it's at the desired COAL. Then I'll back the dial off a bit and seat the next bullet and fine tune it again the same way. It's definitely faster than trying to do the same without a micrometer die, but the consistencies I've had in COAL are usually within .006 of each other or so if I were to just set it up once and seat everything without adjusting (which defeats the purpose of the micrometer die in my opinion).

Anyone striving to make the meplats identical has missed the point of a consistant OAL. A firearm couldn't care less where a bullet tip hangs in empty space.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CardiacKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or we're just loading to mag length because it's not that considerable of a difference for our shooting ability. </div></div>

this.

I loaded 50 rounds last night and never moved the adjustment once I set it... I am far from being able to notice a few thousandths of variance in bullet seating lengths at this point in the game.

Overall the dies worked great for me, I will continue to use them until my ability gets to the point where I need to focus on perfect seating depths. There are other variables right now that I need to work on that have a greater impact to the end result.

"I will continue to use them until my ability gets to the point where I need to focus on perfect seating depths."

Thing is, for accuracy the OAL is virtually meaningless as it's defined. What matters is the jump to the rifling, not where the bullet points are. And even then, a properly developed load will have a seating tolerance window of 10 thou or more in which varitions will have no visible effect.

The RCBS "Comp" side window seater is a feature some love, some don't; matter of personal taste. I find the extended shell holder to be sorta clumsy and it opens a potential for case misalignment I don't care for.

Those dies work as well as most others and that's really quite well. What I don't care for is their short, loosely fitted bullet sleeve that only insures the bullets will enter the case mouth and that's not a real problem with any dies. Since the sleeve is too loosely fitted to be precise and it's too short to align the case at all, and the die set costs are much the same, I much prefer Forster and Redding seaters that do have full length alignment sleeves. An FL die is an FL die; RCBS copied Forster's raised expander button. And the 50 year old Vickerman seater design.