• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

RCBS Match Die Set - Which is which? 16608 vs. 16610

yo-yo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2024
CO
Does anyone know what the difference is in these die sets? I called RCBS and I think the associate may not have been accurate about the product. It seems like RCBS is in the process of providing a new fancy nitrided or anodized micrometer end on their seating die, and this is causing some confusion on in the market place (same with Hornady, actually, and various online sellers are using stock photos of the wrong items to advertise the products.

Part Number 16608: .338 Lapua MatchMaster – Full Length Bushing Die Set .338 Lapua
According to RCBS, this kit contains a full-length resizing die that resizes the neck and the body of the brass, and does NOT use the individual neck-resizing bushings, but rather, the standard internal neck resizing built into the die (without the bushings) . I think the associate may be wrong here though. I would expect this grade of resizing set to use the bushings for the neck.

Part Number 16610: MatchMaster – .338 Lapua Neck Size Bushing Die Set
According to RCBS, this kit contains a neck-size only die, using the individual neck bushings, and does NOT resize the body of the cartridge at all. I've not seen (though I am a rookie) a die that doesn't resize the body of the cartridge. If this is accurate, when would one want to resize only the neck?

I compared these sets to the Hornady die sets, and Hornady said their only Match-Grade kit (#544655) uses a full body die WITH individual neck bushings. That makes more sense to me, but I don't know a lot about all the popular options yet.

Anyone using one of these kits that can confirm?

Thanks!

MatchMaster – Full Length Bushing Die Set

• Full-Length Die Set includes Full-Length Sizing Die and Bullet Seating Die
  • Utilizes Neck Bushing to Control Neck Tension (Sold Separately)
  • Sizing Die Include Titanium Carbo Nitride Expander for reduced brass build up on expander and smooth case extraction

MatchMaster – Neck Size Bushing Die Set

• Neck Size Die Set includes Neck Sizing Die and Bullet Seating Die
  • Sizing Die Include Titanium Carbo Nitride Expander for reduced brass build up on expander and smooth case extraction

Reactions: B y r o n
If you simply re-read the information you posted you will see the difference between the two sets.
What I'm suggesting is what I wrote may actually be incorrect. What RCBS representative told me and what is posted on their site are different.

What RCBS *says* (verbally on the telephone) is the full-length sizing die does NOT utilize the individual bushings for the neck resizing.

What RCBS has written (website), is that full-length die DOES utilize the individual neck bushings.

I also wanted to confirm the Neck Size Bushing Die does NOT resize the body of the brass cartridge. I haven't seen this advertised in other die sets before (though I just started studying these). Hornady doesn't have a set like this available. I did just find a "neck" only die separately though. I'm not familiar with a lot of this yet, so that's why I was asking.

MatchMaster – Full Length Bushing Die Set

• Full-Length Die Set includes Full-Length Sizing Die and Bullet Seating Die
  • Sizing Die Include Titanium Carbo Nitride Expander for reduced brass build up on expander and smooth case extraction.
Yeah, this is what I wanted to confirm. If this die DOES in fact utilize the neck bushings. The rep said it didn't. I think he may be new or not yet educated on some of their products. I asked twice about whether this one used the neck bushings...I just wanted someone who has had eyes on it to confirm.

The 16608 set is full length sizing and does use bushings (not included), the 16610 set is neck sizing only and uses bushings (also not included).

There is a 16601 set that is full length sizing that does not use bushings.

The 16608 set is full length sizing and does use bushings (not included), the 16610 set is neck sizing only and uses bushings (also not included).

There is a 16601 set that is full length sizing that does not use bushings.
Ok. thanks! I thought the RCBS associate might have been mistaken, but I didn't want to suggest that to him, without knowing for sure.
So, does the full length resize die use the traditional method of reshaping the body of the cartridge, using a fixed shape built into the interior of the die (like most basic resizing dies do for both neck and body)? If so, do any of these die manufacturers tell you what the expected dimensions of the cartridge body should be after resizing?