• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Re - barrelling a 300 Win Mag, which make of barrel?

Saracen

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2017
Hi people. I'm planning on re- barrelling my Remington Sendero in 300 Win Mag. I was considering a Bartlein or Schneider barrel at 26" long, 15x1 suppressor thread, and a 1in 9 twist.
What make will give great barrel life and accuracy?
Thanks.

Great barrel life and 300 win mag just do not go together.

You will be hard pressed to beat a Bartlein, but there are a bunch of other barrel makers (Krieger, Rock Creek, Proof, etc.) that will exceed your expectations.

Reactions: Dogsniper
In my early days of benchrest shooting we had one that had magic dust sprinkled on them. Pat McMillan. Several others that were very good and a couple on the fringe but that was it. Then slowly a few others came on line. Many spin offs from larger shops as demand grew. We are fortunate to have many good barrel makers these days. Competition is good. Go with your gut.
As far as barrel life goes. No difference between them.

Reactions: Dogsniper
If you want to try and slow throat erosion and prolong the life of the barrel you might also consider having it nitride treated.
Not sure how much of a difference it will make since the 300wm can be pretty hard on barrels but if its not run hard or long strings of fire it may be worth a look.

Reactions: EchoDeltaSierra
You want to extend barrel life, leave the can off. That's about the only way you're going to make a noticeable difference.

I have a Douglas premium on my 700/300. Did this two weeks ago load testing new ADG brass under 230gr Berger OTMs. I generally cannot shoot a magnum this well, especially off a Harris bipod in the dirt. Lots and lots of great barrel makers out there now, but I wouldn't be scared to look at some old school barrels either.

20181123_192900.jpg
20181123_192853.jpg

Reactions: smoooth1
If you're looking to elongate barrel life, I'd take a look at a Criterion (or any other quality manufacturer) that is nitride finished. I have one on order for 6.5CR and will be ordering another for 300WM. From what I understand the nitride bath finish is one fo the few that will help elongate barrel life.

Reactions: XLR308
In my early days of benchrest shooting we had one that had magic dust sprinkled on them. Pat McMillan. Several others that were very good and a couple on the fringe but that was it. Then slowly a few others came on line. Many spin offs from larger shops as demand grew. We are fortunate to have many good barrel makers these days. Competition is good. Go with your gut.
As far as barrel life goes. No difference between them.

Just wanted to make sure you didnt skip over this post. Just read the last 3 sentences, over and over.

I've ran bartlien and rock creek both on 300 wm and 300 wsm rifles. Also 99 percent of my shooting has been done suppressed with them and I have not noticed any shorter barrel life's with or without the suppressor. I get decent barrel life out of the cut rifled barrels but have not ever used a button rifled barrel on a 300 mag. Keep the barrels decently clean and don't shoot and shoot like you do with a 6br. Dont get the 300 mag barrel hot. My personal preference is to shoot the 210vdl or 215 Berger hybrids for 1000 to 1200 rounds and then switch over to the 220 or 200 gr sierra matchkings. They seem to shoot better than the bergers the more throat erosion there is.

Lilja, Obermyer, Kreiger, Bartlein, Shillen, Proof, Rock, Lothar Wather, Channlin ... I have tried them all and you will not be able to tell the difference between them assuming your rifle is well put together and you can hold/shoot reasonably well. They will all last about the same as they are made out of the same material 416-R stainless.

You WILL notice a difference with Proof in weight and balance ... is that worth $300 extra? Maybe.