Gunsmithing Reading reamer print

Unfortunately some places label stuff different things so you need to know what you’re actually looking at in the image. The free bore will be from the end of the case neck to where the rifling starts ramping up.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
On a reamer print, how do you determine Freebore? Is Freebore and Leade dim the same? Thanks
Most of the time it is but there are some exceptions. Some cartridges have a taper and don't have a parallel free bored section. On those you have to calculate the distance to the lands. Do you have the print?

Last edited:
Depending on who you ask, in this example it is one of the 2 circled numbers. I really do not know which one is correct since some say it is the top number and others say it is the bottom. I use the bottom number.

.169 is the freebore, as mentioned, but if one were taking measurements of a dummy cartridge, you’d have to consider all the space between the end of the case neck, to the beginning of the actual freebore, which is represented(mostly) in the upper number.

Edit: The distinction is a very minor one, but in some conversations, when people numbers aren’t agreeing much, it’s usually because one of them isn’t considering the total “effective” freebore.

Last edited:
It does have some, just not in the typical fashion. Never seen one like that before. The engineers at Nosler must have been enjoying themselves. I think it’s weird, and altered the dimensions in my reamer.
It doesn’t have any parallel freebore. True, your ogive may not be right at the case mouth, but this is zero frerbore.

Reactions: GrantGulseth
This was my notation as a result of my conversation with Dave Kiff at Pacific tool.

Drawing supplied by the awesome folks at @CriterionBarrels
This is their .280 Ackley Match chamber

Dave said the "ogive touch point" was NOT specified on the drawing. He gave me the distance from the bolt face to the ogive touch point. He said it was between the points labeled "2.745" and "2.945" .

In this conversion I specified the 168 Berber VLD-Hunting bullet in .280 .

This was my understanding of our conversation and based on my other notes.

IMG_3653A.jpg

This was my notation as a result of my conversation with Dave Kiff at Pacific tool.

Drawing supplied by the awesome folks at @CriterionBarrels
This is their .280 Ackley Match chamber

Dave said the "ogive touch point" was NOT specified on the drawing. He gave me the distance from the bolt face to the ogive touch point. He said it was between the points labeled "2.745" and "2.945" .

In this conversion I specified the 168 Berber VLD-Hunting bullet in .280 .

This was my understanding of our conversation and based on my other notes.

View attachment 7054090
Correct there is a curved surface (bullets nose) and an straight angular surface (lands ramping up), where those two interact depends on the exact relationship between the bullet and the ramping up lands.

In this image the area with the red squiggly I drew is was the distance between the end of the free bore and the actual touch.

Correct there is a curved surface (bullets nose) and an straight angular surface (lands ramping up), where those two interact depends on the exact relationship between the bullet and the ramping up lands.

In this image the area with the red squiggly I drew is was the distance between the end of the free bore and the actual touch.
View attachment 7054144

Nice, that is very helpful.

View attachment 7054144

Cleaned it up for you....

1554235520238.jpg

Brain fart....but I always looked at the bullet comparator as a way to get accurate relative measurements, not an actual measurement from base to lands. I guess, if the bushing is precisely the same as the bore diameter it would give that information. Never actually measured them as the relative measurement is what is typically looked at.

You are right, its a relative measurement. But thats all that matters, its for your tools and your equipment. Doesnt matter what the actual numbers are, you just want to see the difference from touch to where they are seated.

The OAL gauge pushes the bullet out of the case and to the lands, thats all it does. It doesnt measure anything, it just pushes.

You can then just the calipers to get the COAL/OAL (cartridge over all length) or you can use the comparators to get the CBTO (case base to ogive) measurement.