Real inflation - it's a lot higher than you might think!

GlockandRoll

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Austin, TX
I did some research on this, before I found this video, and this lines up exactly with 40% of our M2 money supply being pumped into the economy, mostly thanks to Kamala's tie-breaking vote.

By the end of 2020, M2 had increased by 25% over pre-pandemic levels. By 2021, it was nearly 40% higher. So that 40% figure matches M2 growth pretty well.

People will argue that the Consumer Price Index (CPI) from 2019 to mid-2023 shows a cumulative inflation rate of around 20-25%, depending on the source. But if you look at the true cost of living, it's actually just over 40%.

The really bad news is we're triple fucked: not only have prices gone up, but we're taxed based on inflation while wages remain stagnant.

And the fact that these liberal white women working for tips don’t actually care that Trump wants to make their tips tax-free— actually blows my mind: they just want abortions, which is ridiculous because it's a states' rights issue. Trump has never really taken a strong stance in the anti-abortion fight and has even declined to endorse a full ban.

And honestly, when you think about it, a billionaire playboy should be in favor of it—but I’ll never accuse liberal white women of thinking.

Forget all the statistics, they are all fudged.

Here is how you tell real inflation.

How much did your groceries used to cost you and how much do you spend now?
How much did it cost to fill up your vehicle with fuel before and now?
How much did your utilities cost you before and now
How much could you buy the same vehicle for before new, then and now
How much did you buy your house for originally, how much is it valued now.
How much did health "insurance" and doctor visits cost you before as compared to now
How much did your required "insurance" cost you before and now
How much are your property taxes before compared to now.

That is how you tell how much inflation is actually running at and how much it affects your life and purchasing power.

Then figure out how much money you were making back then, and how much you are making now and you can see if you are staying the same, getting better or being driven into the poorhouse.

The really bad news is we're triple fucked: not only have prices gone up, but we're taxed based on inflation while wages remain stagnant.
I've said this part for over 30 years ago. The progressive income tax is a trap. It didn't bother folks when the average wage was $20,000/ year but inflation will ratchet up all you fools into the "rich" category. That same job now makes $80,000 and folks loose a higher percentage to income tax also.

It's bad.

Literally just left Wally World and my wife took forever checking out while I sat in the car... I let her know I was a bit aggravated when she got to the car... And she started crying. 🙄

I guess there was an elderly man in line in front of her at the self-checkout. She said he would scan items and then call the girl over to remove them from the total. He was cherry-picking the cheaper items to keep his total down to what he could afford.

So my wife told him to ring everything up and she just paid for it all. It was less than $100 total. He told her his SS used to cover it... But his wife's passing had reduced his SS and the cost of everything skyrocketing was just more than he could cover.

So yeah, I felt about 2 inches tall for griping at her for taking so long.

Not the first time we've encountered this either. So either there's an epidemic of sly old men preying on my wife's compassion... Or this government needs strung up by their balls and set ablaze.

Mike

I've said this part for over 30 years ago. The progressive income tax is a trap. It didn't bother folks when the average wage was $20,000/ year but inflation will ratchet up all you fools into the "rich" category. That same job now makes $80,000 and folks loose a higher percentage to income tax also.
applies to raises in soc sec and pensions as well. the increases in both just push one into higher brackets. purchasing power is of course down about the 40% mentioned above. real inflation addressed SS increases are impossible. would bankrupt the system in 2 years instead of the 10 max that it might survivr. COL is unsustainable for anyone making< 80k like said above.

If you're young and trying to save for a down payment on a house, it sucks. Look back four years ago and a 400K house is now close to 500K, and interest mortgage have almost doubled.

Own mine, feel bad for those paying high rents with no end in sight.

That said, my 2023-2024 remodel has cost about 60% more than I anticipated.

Reactions: NoDopes
Forget all the statistics, they are all fudged.

Here is how you tell real inflation.

How much did your groceries used to cost you and how much do you spend now?
How much did it cost to fill up your vehicle with fuel before and now?
How much did your utilities cost you before and now
How much could you buy the same vehicle for before new, then and now
How much did you buy your house for originally, how much is it valued now.
How much did health "insurance" and doctor visits cost you before as compared to now
How much did your required "insurance" cost you before and now
How much are your property taxes before compared to now.

That is how you tell how much inflation is actually running at and how much it affects your life and purchasing power.

Then figure out how much money you were making back then, and how much you are making now and you can see if you are staying the same, getting better or being driven into the poorhouse.
Most things on that list have gone up at least 50%. Some have tripled for me. Your last statement is important. I’d say most people are being driven to the poorhouse, just some faster than others.

Its only "transitory" remember?
It’s funny but not funny.

It's bad.

Literally just left Wally World and my wife took forever checking out while I sat in the car... I let her know I was a bit aggravated when she got to the car... And she started crying. 🙄

I guess there was an elderly man in line in front of her at the self-checkout. She said he would scan items and then call the girl over to remove them from the total. He was cherry-picking the cheaper items to keep his total down to what he could afford.

So my wife told him to ring everything up and she just paid for it all. It was less than $100 total. He told her his SS used to cover it... But his wife's passing had reduced his SS and the cost of everything skyrocketing was just more than he could cover.

So yeah, I felt about 2 inches tall for griping at her for taking so long.

Not the first time we've encountered this either. So either there's an epidemic of sly old men preying on my wife's compassion... Or this government needs strung up by their balls and set ablaze.

Mike
It’s much worse than many realize. And imo, there is zero reason anyone in the country should be poor. No I don’t mean there should be handouts but there is tons of money to go around in this country. The problem is that roughly 3400 people in the world control more wealth than the other 7.7 Billion. Let that sink in.

This!! And it’s not just one party that needs this treatment; it’s both.
Agreed! Yet, here we sit.

applies to raises in soc sec and pensions as well. the increases in both just push one into higher brackets. purchasing power is of course down about the 40% mentioned above. real inflation addressed SS increases are impossible. would bankrupt the system in 2 years instead of the 10 max that it might survivr. COL is unsustainable for anyone making< 80k like said above.
Yeah and I’m not too happy about being robbed to pay into a system I’ll never see a dime of.

If you're young and trying to save for a down payment on a house, it sucks. Look back four years ago and a 400K house is now close to 500K, and interest mortgage have almost doubled.

Own mine, feel bad for those paying high rents with no end in sight.

That said, my 2023-2024 remodel has cost about 60% more than I anticipated.
Exactly. It’s much worse than people realize. I live in one of the cheapest COL states in the Union, built my house 8 years ago. It’s having some things that are in need of repair. A deck rebuilt, a new roof, downspouts, gutters, some windows replaced, a couple doors replaced, AC units supposedly on the fritz, front doors refinished, etc. obviously there is a couple big ticket items but I never dreamed these few things would cost me $100,000 literally 8 years after I built this place. That is insane! And all the freaking labor is Mexican.