Real World Sniper Challenge AAR

StAlda

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2019
I wrote this right after I got back from ROing the RWS challenge. I left it sit for awhile, I wanted to make sure I wasn't being over critical or had emotion built into it. I think it is still a fair review and if anything I pulled some punches.

Real World Sniper Challenge After Action Report

Real World Sniper Challenge is a competition that takes place near San Antonio, Texas. I have heard many good things about it, and I really wanted to compete in it. It generally sells out very fast, but if you are an RO, you get first chance the next year to sign up. So, my competition partner and I headed to Texas.

Day 1

Things started out great, good conversations with ROs, the Match Director and competitors. Things seemed organized and controlled.

Day 2
Stage 1

5 targets, find them, then shoot them near to far while your partner shoots a pistol target (mini IPSC) in between your 2 rifle hits per target. When all 5 rifle targets are hit switch roles. Only A zone pistol hits count.

Out of the gate the stage seemed a little chaotic. The first few teams had varied rules as the lead RO and the Match Director worked out the specifics of the stage. The A zone rule was dropped, because the first few teams didn’t get scored using the A zone rule.

The fourth or fifth team was the first team to run a static ruleset for the stage. So a quarter of the teams were scored on rules. We, the new ROs, had no access to any written rules outside of the stage description. We learned mainly from the competitors and conversations.

Just to be fair, chaotic starts happen even at very well organized competitions, no matter how well you plan, sometimes things happen. Staff matches can alleviate a lot of these problems, but it is not a cure-all.

Eventually the Stage got into a groove and cranked out good runs.
A camera team came to the stage and we’re talking during a stage brief, we got blamed for it by the team to the match director. New guy problems.

The Stage ran 3 hours over its planned run time.
Returned to HQ, said it’s rough out there and got bitched at like I was talking about me. I was sitting under a tree with unlimited water, so no.
This will be relevant later.

Stage 2

This was a take on know your limits. Different targets had different values. So you could go for hard high value target or easy low value targets or others in between.
Way too long to prep the shooters causing the stage to be incomplete by sundown.

Impacts on my freshly painted target were obvious. However, my target had a weird behavior, some shots I could hear an impact but the target didn’t move, there was no spall or splash. I didn’t call a hit because they could have shot the wrong target, my field of view was very tight. But when the team said shoot it again the hit was obvious. I also wait a heartbeat before I call a hit, just to make sure (you can’t unring that bell). This all made a couple ROs pissed at me.

Apparently, the green targets around the white full size ipsc target were no shoots. Having access to those rules would have been great. But we got yelled at more, so yeah!

Day 3
The Stage Brief: “the teams will come up a hill and will get contact at 10 o’clock”

The Argument

I said there is no coordination, that is a meaningless stage brief.
He said, We want a bigger role, teams complained about us, and he was tired of our attitude, get in your truck and leave. Words were said… and we continued.
As of this writing we have still never seen a single line of rules for this match to this day. So running a stage would have been immediately turned down. On a personal note, we would have been very happy just driving around delivering water to the stages, basically water-boys for 2 days.

Stage 3

While we were setting up the targets for this stage I inquired about something, I don’t remember what, and the phrase “there’s no coordination here” was said to me. Irony.
This stage was an ambush stage and was well placed and fun (for some). While we were setting up the match director tossed out “make it timed, to add more stress”. And there was the problem. As we quickly learned from the competitors, which is not ideal, time is used to break scoring ties and this stage had 2 pistol and 8 rifle targets. So with everybody clearing the stage, the score was all about the time. That turned this stage from a throw away fun stage into a stage where one team was yelling at the ROs for clarification and an otherwise “not fun” stage. First question every team asked was do we have water, the last 2 stages didn’t have any. Refer to “The Argument“.

This was our last stage; it didn’t complete until 4:30. We left at 2:30 because we bought airline tickets based on the schedule sent to us. There was a 30-40 minute gap between each team showing to our stage.

Summary

In general, this was not a fun environment for the ROs. Yelled at by the Match Director, yelled at by the competitors, untested stages, and the first day no food from 6 AM until sundown. (We were prepared and had some food and a lot of water).
Where were the med kits? I kept asking ROs if they had a med kit, most looked at me like I had a 3rd eye.
To be fair, the match director was definitely given a hard hill to climb. The facility seems to have overpromised and under delivered. The temperature was 110+ both days. And the lack of a “staff match” to let the ROs fully understand the stage and to proof out the logistics of timing were also causing issues that were pointed out earlier. Most of their problems have been solved by the competition “industry”, I am standing on their shoulders, I am not professing genius.

So, would I recommend this match? A cautious yes.

If you don’t attach your reason for living and self worth to the outcome, you will have a blast. The stages as intended were top tier in their design. I only saw 3 stages, but I heard about the others, they all seemed very fun. We ROed the event so we could compete next year. Unfortunately, that will probably not happen. After the friction during the match and this write up, I am probably their least favorite person.

Reactions: stanley_white
I wrote this right after I got back from ROing the RWS challenge. I left it sit for awhile, I wanted to make sure I wasn't being over critical or had emotion built into it. I think it is still a fair review and if anything I pulled some punches.

Real World Sniper Challenge After Action Report

Real World Sniper Challenge is a competition that takes place near San Antonio, Texas. I have heard many good things about it, and I really wanted to compete in it. It generally sells out very fast, but if you are an RO, you get first chance the next year to sign up. So, my competition partner and I headed to Texas.

Day 1

Things started out great, good conversations with ROs, the Match Director and competitors. Things seemed organized and controlled.

Day 2
Stage 1

5 targets, find them, then shoot them near to far while your partner shoots a pistol target (mini IPSC) in between your 2 rifle hits per target. When all 5 rifle targets are hit switch roles. Only A zone pistol hits count.

Out of the gate the stage seemed a little chaotic. The first few teams had varied rules as the lead RO and the Match Director worked out the specifics of the stage. The A zone rule was dropped, because the first few teams didn’t get scored using the A zone rule.

The fourth or fifth team was the first team to run a static ruleset for the stage. So a quarter of the teams were scored on rules. We, the new ROs, had no access to any written rules outside of the stage description. We learned mainly from the competitors and conversations.

Just to be fair, chaotic starts happen even at very well organized competitions, no matter how well you plan, sometimes things happen. Staff matches can alleviate a lot of these problems, but it is not a cure-all.

Eventually the Stage got into a groove and cranked out good runs.
A camera team came to the stage and we’re talking during a stage brief, we got blamed for it by the team to the match director. New guy problems.

The Stage ran 3 hours over its planned run time.
Returned to HQ, said it’s rough out there and got bitched at like I was talking about me. I was sitting under a tree with unlimited water, so no.
This will be relevant later.

Stage 2

This was a take on know your limits. Different targets had different values. So you could go for hard high value target or easy low value targets or others in between.
Way too long to prep the shooters causing the stage to be incomplete by sundown.

Impacts on my freshly painted target were obvious. However, my target had a weird behavior, some shots I could hear an impact but the target didn’t move, there was no spall or splash. I didn’t call a hit because they could have shot the wrong target, my field of view was very tight. But when the team said shoot it again the hit was obvious. I also wait a heartbeat before I call a hit, just to make sure (you can’t unring that bell). This all made a couple ROs pissed at me.

Apparently, the green targets around the white full size ipsc target were no shoots. Having access to those rules would have been great. But we got yelled at more, so yeah!

Day 3
The Stage Brief: “the teams will come up a hill and will get contact at 10 o’clock”

The Argument

I said there is no coordination, that is a meaningless stage brief.
He said, We want a bigger role, teams complained about us, and he was tired of our attitude, get in your truck and leave. Words were said… and we continued.
As of this writing we have still never seen a single line of rules for this match to this day. So running a stage would have been immediately turned down. On a personal note, we would have been very happy just driving around delivering water to the stages, basically water-boys for 2 days.

Stage 3

While we were setting up the targets for this stage I inquired about something, I don’t remember what, and the phrase “there’s no coordination here” was said to me. Irony.
This stage was an ambush stage and was well placed and fun (for some). While we were setting up the match director tossed out “make it timed, to add more stress”. And there was the problem. As we quickly learned from the competitors, which is not ideal, time is used to break scoring ties and this stage had 2 pistol and 8 rifle targets. So with everybody clearing the stage, the score was all about the time. That turned this stage from a throw away fun stage into a stage where one team was yelling at the ROs for clarification and an otherwise “not fun” stage. First question every team asked was do we have water, the last 2 stages didn’t have any. Refer to “The Argument“.

This was our last stage; it didn’t complete until 4:30. We left at 2:30 because we bought airline tickets based on the schedule sent to us. There was a 30-40 minute gap between each team showing to our stage.

Summary

In general, this was not a fun environment for the ROs. Yelled at by the Match Director, yelled at by the competitors, untested stages, and the first day no food from 6 AM until sundown. (We were prepared and had some food and a lot of water).
Where were the med kits? I kept asking ROs if they had a med kit, most looked at me like I had a 3rd eye.
To be fair, the match director was definitely given a hard hill to climb. The facility seems to have overpromised and under delivered. The temperature was 110+ both days. And the lack of a “staff match” to let the ROs fully understand the stage and to proof out the logistics of timing were also causing issues that were pointed out earlier. Most of their problems have been solved by the competition “industry”, I am standing on their shoulders, I am not professing genius.

So, would I recommend this match? A cautious yes.

If you don’t attach your reason for living and self worth to the outcome, you will have a blast. The stages as intended were top tier in their design. I only saw 3 stages, but I heard about the others, they all seemed very fun. We ROed the event so we could compete next year. Unfortunately, that will probably not happen. After the friction during the match and this write up, I am probably their least favorite person.

Not to discount your observations. Just want to leave a note that Nick (the match director) is standup guy and putting on a match is never as easy as it seems from the outside.

Not to discount your observations. Just want to leave a note that Nick (the match director) is standup guy and putting on a match is never as easy as it seems from the outside.
Before the match he was very cool and seemed like a stand up guy to me too. However, when the match started Mr Hyde popped out. We all handle stress differently, I was caught completely off-guard by his behavior the second day.

3rd party opinion here as a competitor in the past. I found some stages to be a little unfair in the way that things were just confusing at some points.
It’s very much so a boys club, a lot of the guys are seasoned competitors and it’s a close group there.

My last note and my most important one. My partner picked a rifle off the prize table and it has been over an entire year and he has not seen the rifle. After multiple attempts to contact and give a FFL to Nick he has said he will ship the rifle multiple times. I’ve been to probably 25 matches with prizes tables never have I heard of this issue.

If your going to advertise and post pictures of the rifles then you should probably give them to the recipient.

And this is why I don't bother with non-mainstream shooting "sports".

They are inevitably a cluster fuck from a rules equity and stability standpoint.

A competitor shitting on me as an RO in USPSA gets DQd for unsportsmanlike conduct and he can pay his $100 to arbitrate it. Fuck him with a rusty nail.

An MD shitting on me for his lack of organization, logistics, and clear rules can go fuck himself and find a new RO on the spot as I get in my car to leave.

And this is why I don't bother with non-mainstream shooting "sports".

They are inevitably a cluster fuck from a rules equity and stability standpoint.

A competitor shitting on me as an RO in USPSA gets DQd for unsportsmanlike conduct and he can pay his $100 to arbitrate it. Fuck him with a rusty nail.

An MD shitting on me for his lack of organization, logistics, and clear rules can go fuck himself and find a new RO on the spot as I get in my car to leave.
Fair point. But there’s something about matches with less rules that attracts people who talk tactical / precision shooting to test there other abilities besides something like prs or USPSA. And I did have a fun time doing that type of match. But I believe on the second day we waited 4 hours from first team to shoot the first stage.
The more complex the match, the more RO’s needed that are highly trained in that. And keeping rules perfect in highly complex dynamic environments is pretty hard.

But there’s something about matches with less rules
Matches with less rules isn't the issue. It's matches with inconsistent rules from place to place, day to day, and even squad to squad.

that attracts people who talk tactical / precision shooting to test there other abilities besides something like prs or USPSA.
A test that is different for some people compared to others in the same contest isn't a test.

The more complex the match, the more RO’s needed that are highly trained in that. And keeping rules perfect in highly complex dynamic environments is pretty hard.
That's all I ever hear: excuses why things are the way they are.

Pass

Reactions: Tx_Aggie