realistic Expectations 338 LM

mrbig

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2011
Pleasant Shade ,Tn 37145
what kind of groups should I expect from the 300 Scenar at 1200-1500 yards,I never shot on paper at 1,000 but have no trouble keeping them on the 10 inch gong when the wind is calm,,and even in the wind when I get a read on it,,
I would be tickled with 10 inches at 1200 and maybe a foot at 1500,,is that too much to ask for,

Savage 110 FCP-HS rifle with 4.5-14 Leupold for now,,

gonna have to sell a rifle or two to get the glass I want for this thing,

any yall that have this rifle that has shot on paper at 1500,what should I expect??

Re: realistic Expectations 338 LM

That seems pretty subjective but i would think a 12" group at 1,200 yards on a calm day without too much mirage should be achievable.

I would imagine there are guys out there who would tell you they can keep it under 10" at that range.

This will be interesting.

I am interested in this topic also. I have a .338 Lapua that I have been shooting for a little less than a year. I shoot steel at extended ranges and if I shoot paper it is only to zero the rifle.

Does your rifle/load prefer scenars?

This should be a good topic. I have wondered the same thing. Me and my son both have 338 edges, I have looked at the 338 LM and have been seriously considering one. I would also like to know what is considered good groups at 1000 yards.. Personally I would be tickled to shoot a 5 shot 10 inch group at 1000

There are so many variables to this question, it's pretty hard to answer clearly.

Given good conditions of minimal mirage and a steady wind, my personal 338 has produced multiple groups under 10" at 1500 meters. That is not an average, nor is it a number that I would claim can be done on demand. At 1500m, if you are holding 5 shots in <1.5 MOA you are probably in pretty good shape.

I've got a video posted on YouTube that shows three shots at 1400+ yards that are all on the 10" center plate of one of our Vlei flipper targets. That was cold bore, just setup and shoot, no ranging/windage test shots. I think that's a pretty reasonable display of what can be done with good equipment and technique.

If you are asking me, it's a lot less about shooting groups out there than it is hitting some random target on the first or second shot and getting that second shot out under 5 seconds.

yeah that is what I been doing,,just shooting at random stuff at 1000-1300,,depending on wind I do fair to bad on first shot,,depending on my spotter I do pretty fair on 2nd or 3rd shots

I agree 100%, I think 1.5 moa should be what you strive to shoot within. Any worse and I would start to worry, much better and I would start to challenge myself more.

I try to focus on cold bore accuracy, using groups to help determine if my load, rifle, and marksmanship are performing as expected.

I would also recommend going out and seeing what you can do on some of those really windy days (20 mph plus). It's fun to challenge yourself and it will give you the right level of confidence.

went out Friday morning and shot at 1100 yards at a 2 gallon oil jug,,wind was gusting enough that with 10 MOA correction I was hitting on both sides and never connected in 4 shots,,my buddy was on a 308 and had to put in over 35 MOA to get close,,

about 2 hours latter there was tornados touched down about 15 miles east,,it was a rough day,,

A 20 mph+ wind is a regular occurrence in central and eastern Montana. There is no shortage of days to give that a go.

I just shoot when I can regardless,,

I have been shooting a lot of 223 at 600-1000 and even more 22LR from 100-300,,which I think makes shooing the 338 seem easy at 1,000 I just dont have many places to shoot past that,

I really think I can hold MOA at 1,000 but need more practice shooting for score/hits,,and if 1.5 MOA is decent at 1,500 I think I have the stuff to do that I just need practice on reading conditions to make that 20 inch group hit where I aim it,,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you are asking me, it's a lot less about shooting groups out there than it is hitting some random target on the first or second shot and getting that second shot out under 5 seconds.

</div></div>

what he said ^^^^

I've had days with my 338LM where my ego was boosted as I had miraculous shots one right on top of the other, meaning within 12", at 1600 yards... then other days where I was left frustrated with shots dispersing all over with some but not a ton of wind.

As Cory said, after chasing ELR grouping, you start to come to the conclusion that you're better off tuning the system for first round hits anywhere on a large steel target (for me 24x24 at a mile), and fast follow up hits. That's all that matters in the end.

wind at my family farm range is pretty predictable at 1,000 and I have got decent at first shot hits on a 12 inch gong with the 300 Scenar,,

I dont have a place to shoot a mile without getting permission from neighbor farms,,but if I could make anything over 50% first round cold bore shots on the 24x24 steel at a mile I would probably orgasm,,

Trying to group at that distance can certainly be done however get yourself a 24x24 steel plate and give that a go. You will get audible feedback. Unless you are trying for some sort of new BR record why bother. Those of us here in Australia who shoot those types of distances generally only shoot for metal or we do ELR hunting (although the pickings down here are far from the variety that you guys have in the USA)

I have a 16x16 steel plate hanging at 1,000,,I wish I could think of a place to get a mile,,at 1,000 the 16 painted white with a 6 inch center dot has been a great help getting to know the 338,,I find myself over correcting for the wind,,

at a mile, wind blows stuff all over the place. I have a very nice OCW optimized load which groups super tight at 100 yards etc... but at 1800 yards yesterday, even a 5-10mph wind was blowing 250 Scenars left and right of the target about +/-10 feet. You had to very quickly rack a new round into the chamber, correct for wind, then get a hit... then 2 min later, the wind changes and you're back to using a round to calibrate current wind.

Such is California desert canyon wind conditions...