Rebel Ridge Outfitters - Range Report for ELR Novices

tnester1

Former Sheepdog
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2017
Here in Michigan we have very few places to go beyond 600 yds. We make the trek to Indiana regularly in order to get to 1,000.

In June, a group of us decided to try and stretch our rifles out beyond 1,000 yds and we headed to SE Ohio in order to attempt the mile. Crummy weather mixed with overgrown vegetation combined to make the experience a real disappointment. We aren't beginning shooters but still novice enough beyond a grand so a place you can't see trace or splash makes for a big waste of time and ammo.

Enter Rebel Ridge Outfitters in Syracuse, Kansas. We discovered Rebel Ridge after ELR-Researcher posted about steel out to 3600yds. A little research and a few coordinating calls later and a trip was planned for Mid-October to shoot the mile and to stay at their lodging facility "The Loft"

Upon arriving to "The Loft" it was immediately apparent the website was humble in its descriptions. The 1800 sq ft space was not the sparsely furnished, barracks-style facility one would expect from a range owner providing lodging. Instead, it was a gorgeous 3 bedroom apartment with plush leather couches and chairs, a pool table, cable TV, full kitchen, dining room, laundry; the list goes on from there, but you get my point. Additionally, it is located above a family style restaurant/pub where you can enjoy a steak dinner after a day of shooting for less than $30 with tip. We said numerous times, "we are coming back, and we haven't even seen the range yet!"

The owner, Matt Gould, arrived and briefed us what to expect the next day at the range. One awesome aspect to this range is that a reservation is for the entire range. Your group is the only one onsite. No dealing with anyone else shooting your targets or safety issues, etc. Your range time is yours alone.

Day 1. High 73F. Winds 10-20 The range is 18 miles from the loft. It took us around 35 mins to get there as the last few miles are 2 track and we had a minivan to carry us and our gear. Depending on the time of year, I would recommend a vehicle with a higher clearance as we were required to drive straddling the trail from center to shoulder to avoid high-centering..

Once onsite, Matt walked us through the range orientation. We brought 4 Magneto-Speed T-1000 target indicators with us to attach at 1500, 1760, 2000 and 2640 yds. So we got a more thorough orientation than planned when we all hopped into his truck and went out to hang them. These were monumentally helpful in identifying impacts as the wind completely drowned out the sound of ringing steel beyond 250 yards.

Confirm zero, dial a grand, send a few and everything is good. Splash is visible enough for good spotting calls. Stretch to 1500, adjust for wind, send a round, adjust for dope, send a round and...IMPACT. The bright red light flashed and we were off to the races. Once on target it became a day of dancing in the wind. The heat of the day caused so much mirage the targets were shimmering and grainy. Packed up and headed in after around 8 hours of playing.

Day 2. High 27F (yes, that is correct). Woke up to snow covering the ground and wind gusting to 25mph. Put on all the weather gear and head out to the line. Send 3 rounds at a mile for 3 impacts. Suddenly the target disappears in a white out. Try to wait it out on the line, but it isn't getting any better. Head back to town to wait it out. Youngest member of the group hadn't connect at a mile on day 1, so we were all anxious for the weather to break. Once it did, it was gorgeous! Targets were clear, no mirage and wind was even beginning to die down for us too. Got him on target and decided we could stretch ours further. Connected at 2000 yards and then 1.5 miles. Heck of a way to end a cold windy day.

As a side note, Rebel Ridge now has target indicators. We decided to donate ours to Matt in order to increase the capabilities of his range. This is the kind of place that makes you want to do that sort of thing in order to ensure it stays around!

In summary, Rebel Ridge Outfitters is doing it up right! If you are looking for a place to break your ELR cherry, get a group together and head to Syracuse, KS.

Thank you to Matt and the Rebel Ridge family for an awesome weekend!
20181013_152714.jpg
20181013_152111.jpg

Last edited:
Good read! that temp difference from day 1 to day 2 was huge!

what calibers did you guys have out there?

also, do you mind mentioning or PMing me the price of such an adventure? i doubt i'll ever do it, but I'm just curious.

We had a .300wm too.

For four people, lodging for 3 nights and range for 2 days it was only $895.

I paid $70 per night at a hotel en route there and back for little more than a cot and toilet. LOL

Last edited: