Recommend me a .308 BCG

Benito

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2011
I have a brand new Criterion chrome lined 16" .308 AR barrel sitting around, so I figure I may go ahead and build around that rather than buy a factory gun (even though that is probably the safer option).

Since Criterion doesn't make bolts/BCGs, what BCG would you recommend I use.

Ballistic Advantage, Stag, VSeven?

They all have pretty good sounding specs.

I want to stay away from DPMS because I don't fully trust them based on past experience (don't want to stir up any controversy, just my personal opinion).

I have no idea if an LMT MWS BCG would work. I trust LMT for quality but info on their bolt compatibility is a more closely held secret than nuclear launch codes.

The cryptic coatings bcg is bad ass and stupid expensive. I have one in mystic black and it unbelievable easy to clean, smooth as butter, and shows zero wear. I also have an F1 that I am sure is exactly the same part with a different logo. I dont see a reason to run an hp bolt in a 308 though, why not just get the cryptic bolt as well? I have a kak bcg in my 458 socom and one in my 300wsm. Both are nicely made as well. I haven't ran an aero bcg in any of my gun, but i have friends that do without issue. Aero is good to go imo.

Do yourself a favor and grab a Rubber City Armory 308 BCG. They are some of the most consistent bolts out their and give you a lifetime warranty. Ive been using them for years and some of the big name smiths also use them like Compass Lake and Keystone.

https://rubbercityarmory.com/product/308-win-multi-hp-calibers-dpms-complete-w-assist/

If your looking for a 308 BCG on the cheap then get yourself a Toolkraft bcg. A lot of people dont know, but Toolkraft makes BCG's for a LOT of the big name gun companies and the military. Yet again, another Lifetime warranty. You can get them in melonite or Nickel Boron. I have tons of these and they are great.

http://www.monmouthreloading.com/shop/toolcraft-ar10-nickel-boron-bolt-carrier-group/

Reactions: ELCO82 and Benito
I am a fan of the LMT bolt, and what you will find is that it is either exactly the same bolt, or PDC (pretty damn close) the same as Knights Armament, JP, LaRue and Armalite. Any of those names you cannot go wrong. I build SR25 military rifles, and LMT and KAC interchange alot of parts -- that is, they manufacture for each other. And, their designs have roots with Armalite, etc.

Obviously, great to get whatever bolt mated to the barrel for headspacing before you get the extension on (I know, but I still have to say it). Also, while it may sound trivial, make sure whatever bolt carrier you decide upon, that it plays nice in the upper receiver and the buffer and tube. Believe it or not, there are some combinations that need a DPMS pattern buffer and an Armalite (aka AR10) upper receiver barrel nut.

I have come to know the people at Criterion and their chrome lining process and they do a great job. It is my recollection, though, that the chrome-lined barrels already have been chambered. I am not sure if yours has an extension.

Reactions: GhostFace
The cryptic coatings bcg is bad ass and stupid expensive. I have one in mystic black and it unbelievable easy to clean, smooth as butter, and shows zero wear. I also have an F1 that I am sure is exactly the same part with a different logo. I dont see a reason to run an hp bolt in a 308 though, why not just get the cryptic bolt as well? I have a kak bcg in my 458 socom and one in my 300wsm. Both are nicely made as well. I haven't ran an aero bcg in any of my gun, but i have friends that do without issue. Aero is good to go imo.

They have it available in black nitride and phosphate for a very very reasonable price.

Thanks for the input, guys!! I totally forgot about these options. His is why I love the Hide

Reactions: gnatmm
I am a fan of the LMT bolt, and what you will find is that it is either exactly the same bolt, or PDC (pretty damn close) the same as Knights Armament, JP, LaRue and Armalite. Any of those names you cannot go wrong. I build SR25 military rifles, and LMT and KAC interchange alot of parts -- that is, they manufacture for each other. And, their designs have roots with Armalite, etc.

Obviously, great to get whatever bolt mated to the barrel for headspacing before you get the extension on (I know, but I still have to say it). Also, while it may sound trivial, make sure whatever bolt carrier you decide upon, that it plays nice in the upper receiver and the buffer and tube. Believe it or not, there are some combinations that need a DPMS pattern buffer and an Armalite (aka AR10) upper receiver barrel nut.

I have come to know the people at Criterion and their chrome lining process and they do a great job. It is my recollection, though, that the chrome-lined barrels already have been chambered. I am not sure if yours has an extension.

Mine did come with the extension.

Do you know if the LMT is a DPMS pattern? Does it matter as long S it headspaces?

Is it a problem if it closes on the GO and NO-GO but does not close on the FIELD?

I have used Aero Precision and Ballistic Advantage (basically the same company, same ownership). I've also used Odin Works, factory Bushamster, BCM, and generic no brand BCGs. Honestly, never really had an issue with any of them. However, for a precision rifle, I would stick with one of the premium brands. My .223/5.56 SPR build has an Aero Precision BCG. My general purpose AR has an Odin Works.

The market is saturated with AR parts. There are literally dozens of companies that would fit the bill.

That Rubber City Armory one is pricey but probably nice. Uses a proprietary firing pin (for high pressure yadda yadda) but I'll be shooting 308 and 7.62 NATO so I probably don't need it.

The Cryptic Coatings one is cheaper in Black Nitride and Manganese Phosphate (the Mystic coatings are $$$$$$) and uses standard components. Reviews seem generally favourable.

The KAK BCG with the 2 ejectors seems nice BUT has mixed reviews. Some people are reporting problems with ejection/extraction.

I am leaning towards the Cryptic Coatings one in Black Nitride.

I will update once I get one and test it.

HP bolts are key for 6.5cm/260 so if you ever plan to swap barrels to one of those get a HP bolt.

If not save yourself the money and get a Toolcraft. Toolcraft makes RCA bolts and MANY other big names in the industry. Lifetime Warranty. MPI. can't go wrong

HP bolts are key for 6.5cm/260 so if you ever plan to swap barrels to one of those get a HP bolt.

If not save yourself the money and get a Toolcraft. Toolcraft makes RCA bolts and MANY other big names in the industry. Lifetime Warranty. MPI. can't go wrong

I have a Toolcraft BCG for my .300 BLK. Have not shot it yet though.

My understanding is that the BCGs sold via th Cryptic Coatings store are made by Toolcraft. Is this correct??

Does anyone know if Seekins SP-10 6.5 Creedmoor BCG is a Toolcraft-manufactured item? I like carrying a spare bolt to matches in case crud makes the gun go down. The two ejector bolts and carrier certainly look the same, from the few Toolcraft pics I find online. Seekins doesn’t sell BCGs or bolts for that rifle yet, or I’d just buy theirs.

Included photos are of my Seekins SP-10 BCG. Rifle is circa July 2018.

Thanks,

/David
B0E4548C-A2DA-41EF-9700-D21070BC3157.jpeg
62F2EC67-46B9-49B1-922C-B6E4CD296C7E.jpeg

I have a noveske. It's nothing fancy, just a well made bolt/carrier that isn't too expensive. It's still pretty new so I can't report on durability/longevity yet but so far so good. I don't know who manufactures them for noveske, but for the price I thought I would try it. I felt confident that they wouldn't put junk in their rifles.

Take a look at the Lantac Enhanced BCG. I'm using one in a 6.5 CM I just built. I've only had it out once, but it worked very well. It's extra weight helps when running suppressed and should help with reliability. I shot 80 rounds (60 suppressed) on the first outing without a hiccup. And I didn't notice any gas in the face either.

I've had good luck with Toolcraft BCG's. like others have already said, lifetime warranty, good coatings, and quality product for the price. If you want to spend a bit more coin, an LMT .308 group seems so be like a very good option- I do not have experience with the LMT BCG yet, but will probably be ordering one soon for my next project based on what I've read and head from people who shoot much more than I do.

In my experience, you don't need a "high pressure" bolt unless you want to shoot small rifle primer brass.

The Toolcraft BCGs are inexpensive and I've recently seen high pressure and dual ejector versions although not quite as inexpensive.

I'm a bit skeptical of the type of dual ejectors shown above, they are barely past the firing pin so the length of the lever between the extractor and ejector is only a hair more than 1/2 the length of a single ejector bolt. I kind of doubt it's going to be much more effective and as with "standard pressure" bolts, I've never had a problem.

I have two criterion LR308 barrels. I started out using Aero Precision Nitride BCG. It head spaced nicely and It functioned fine, however I was getting pressure signs (cratering). I moved to a JP Enterprises enhanced High Pressure BCG and cratering went away. My second build I used an Aero Precision Phosphate bolt. It would not head space. Went to the JP Enterprises Enhanced HP BCG and it head spaced nicely. JP BCG is a work of art. They are beautifully machined and function flawlessly. I would recommend them every time. You can't go wrong. Aero Precision makes good parts, but not the same quality as a JP.

Criterion used to give you an option to pair a JP bolt with their barrel if you bought direct from them. I have JP LMOS and FMOS carriers with HP bolts in each. The LMOS is in a 308 and the FMOS is in a 6.5cm. Both of them are great and only get better when you combine with the JP SCS buffer system. Smooth recoil and just really nice to shoot, so nice that my 7yo will shoot the 16" 308 for fun. It is about a 7.5lb gun dry and starts to edge 10lbs with optic, mag, and suppressor.

i've boughten Cryptic Coatings BLEMs, and they are beautiful (can't find the BLEM), not to mention, they work just fine. a way to save some bucks.

for DPMS-pattern 308's, I've used Brownells 308 nitride BCGs, and also Aero nitride if I can get them on sale.

Does anyone know if Seekins SP-10 6.5 Creedmoor BCG is a Toolcraft-manufactured item? I like carrying a spare bolt to matches in case crud makes the gun go down. The two ejector bolts and carrier certainly look the same, from the few Toolcraft pics I find online. Seekins doesn’t sell BCGs or bolts for that rifle yet, or I’d just buy theirs.

Included photos are of my Seekins SP-10 BCG. Rifle is circa July 2018.

Thanks,

/DavidView attachment 6940978View attachment 6940979
Looks exactly like my Toolcraft BCG that came in my PSA PA65 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10 and I am very impressed with this BCG. It's got the double ejectors and it beefy and seems to be a quality build. I've never had a problem with it loading or ejecting.

This is correct, they make the carrier and farm out the bolt.

With that said I have used both the toolcraft and the rubber city large frame BCG and they both ran 100%
rubber city get's great reviews and I've used toolcraft and aero's in my non LMTs and they've run great.

I think we're at the point in the industry where this is little guesswork. You have to actively seek out lower quality to not run well I believe

Do you know who makes the Toolcraft BCG Bolt? I didn't realize they only made the Carrier until you pointed this out. I've looked over their Specs and they don't give any indication that the Bolt is manufactured out of house but that very well may be the case.
AO Precision, Azimuth, MPI would be the logical guesses but Toolcraft, to my knowledge, has not disclosed who

Reactions: rpoL98
Do you know who makes the Toolcraft BCG Bolt? I didn't realize they only made the Carrier until you pointed this out. I've looked over their Specs and they don't give any indication that the Bolt is manufactured out of house but that very well may be the case.
Dont know, but I have had two dual ejector toolcraft BCG's side by side and the bolts were obviously made by different machine shops.

Reactions: rpoL98
Mine did come with the extension.

Do you know if the LMT is a DPMS pattern? Does it matter as long S it headspaces?

Is it a problem if it closes on the GO and NO-GO but does not close on the FIELD?
I would not use the rifle if the barrel/bolt combination accepted a no-go gauge. The field gauge was originally designed for military armorers. If a rifle failed the no-go gauge but did not fail the field gauge then, they could still use the rifle in combat conditions. To me it is strictly a safety issue, and if my life depended on having a rifle or not having a rifle, then the field gauge would work for me. However, I am not shooting my rifle in combat, and my guess is that you aren't either. Why take the chance? I have spoken with others who strictly use the field gauge instead of the no-go gauge. OK, but how often do they need to check headspace to ensure they are not out of tolerance? It seems like unnecessary risk.

I would not use the rifle if the barrel/bolt combination accepted a no-go gauge. The field gauge was originally designed for military armorers. If a rifle failed the no-go gauge but did not fail the field gauge then, they could still use the rifle in combat conditions. To me it is strictly a safety issue, and if my life depended on having a rifle or not having a rifle, then the field gauge would work for me. However, I am not shooting my rifle in combat, and my guess is that you aren't either. Why take the chance? I have spoken with others who strictly use the field gauge instead of the no-go gauge. OK, but how often do they need to check headspace to ensure they are not out of tolerance? It seems like unnecessary risk.
There is no SAAMI spec for a "NO-GO". That dimension is determined by the barrel manufacturer, gunsmith, or specified by the end user. The dimension of a .308 gauge marked "NO-GO", measured base to datum, varies between different gauge manufacturers.

Well hopefully the OP has found a BCG by now since he started this thread in 2018. I'll still throw in my $.02. I had no issues using an LMT MWS BCG with a Criterion .308 barrel a few years back, headspaced fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: kerm029 and LDO416